Briquets vs Lump Fuel Consumption: Not What I Thought It Would Be.

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Briquets are supposed to last longer than lump right? Well thats what I always thought.

We did two comps in the last three weeks. At the first one we used Kingsford and Stubbs. We were running four pits. Two offsets, a WSM, and a Bubba Keg. We ran through over a hundred lbs of briquettes that weekend! Most of it was in the two offsets since the WSM and Keg combined probably used about 15 lbs.

Two weeks later we switched to Lump. A combination of B&B Oak from Academy, and Royal Oak from Wal-Mart. All the same cooktimes, temperatures and ambient conditions and we only used about 45 lbs of Charcoal!

I now believe that a decent lump burns just as well or better than Kingsford Original or any other Briquette.

But could you tell a difference in the taste???

Not really. Stubbs burns pretty clean. So does Lump, and the Kingsford we used was fully lit before we put it in. The only real smoke flavor in both cases came from wood chunks.

Not really. Stubbs burns pretty clean. So does Lump, and the Kingsford we used was fully lit before we put it in. The only real smoke flavor in both cases came from wood chunks.

I believe coals add flavor too. As the coal burns it gives off nitrates, which in turn, creates the smoke ring and adds flavor just like the wood does.

I believe coals add flavor too. As the coal burns it gives off nitrates, which in turn, creates the smoke ring and adds flavor just like the wood does.

I forgot when I used the lump, I did toss several unlit Kingsford Briquettes to help with the smoke ring.

briquette may hold a steady temp for longer, but not necessarily LAST any longer overall.

i use RO lump and stubbs briquette.

prefer wicked good, but too pricey.

Interesting. I started with lump on my then new 18.5" wsm last winter and would need to add some the next morning to finish four butt cooks and the like...and yes, I did the pack and shake lump puzzle to fit as much in as possible.

However, a couple of things changed when I started using briquettes. I started using the ECB charcoal pan and was able to get another layer or two of briqs on top than otherwise, and I've used windbreaks when needed.

In any case, it's hard to argue with your observation. Thanks, Q-Dat!

Interesting. I started with lump on my then new 18.5" wsm last winter and would need to add some the next morning to finish four butt cooks and the like...and yes, I did the pack and shake lump puzzle to fit as much in as possible.

However, a couple of things changed when I started using briquettes. I started using the ECB charcoal pan and was able to get another layer or two of briqs on top than otherwise, and I've used windbreaks when needed.

In any case, it's hard to argue with your observation. Thanks, Q-Dat!

Well I did still use Briquettes in the WSM. About 10 lbs. The mega fuel consuption came with the two offsets. I dumped a Weber chimney and a half of unlit B&B into each firebox and then dumped a lit chimney of the Royal Oak on each pile of coals. From there on it was just adding unlit coals as needed and tweaking the vents to maintain temp.

Before with the Briquettes I was dumping in two lit chimneys of K into each firebox and adding Stubbs as needed.

It may have been because B&B is just really great Lump. At least in my experience.

Sounds like you need to do more testing. :wink:
I love to do experiments. I would love to have two WSM or UDS's running side by side, one with lump and one with briqs. The repeat with K vs. Stubbs, ect. Problem is I just don't have enough people to cook for....

Sounds like you need to do more testing. :wink:
I love to do experiments. I would love to have two WSM or UDS's running side by side, one with lump and one with briqs. The repeat with K vs. Stubbs, ect. Problem is I just don't have enough people to cook for....

I also would love to do that. But I need someone to give me a second WSM! ;)

Now that I'm really studying it, ash may have alot to do with it. In the WSM or UDS even with a full basket of briquettes there most likely wont be enough ash buildup to suffocate the fire.

In the offsets we were using we were adding briquettes as the temperature would begin to drop. It might be that the temperature was dropping prematurely because of the ash buildup.

I also would love to do that. But I need someone to give me a second WSM! ;)

Now that I'm really studying it, ash may have alot to do with it. In the WSM or UDS even with a full basket of briquettes there most likely wont be enough ash buildup to suffocate the fire.

In the offsets we were using we were adding briquettes as the temperature would begin to drop. It might be that the temperature was dropping prematurely because of the ash buildup.

The hassle of Off-sets :tsk:

Yep thats why I plan to eventually be cooking on three drums and the Bubba Keg for comps.

I've always used lump but have recently switched to Stubb's and love it. The main reason I switched is because I was tired of getting crap bags of lump that are nothing but broken crumbs. Stubb's is always the same size, and because of that reason alone, I have a better prediction of burn times, and my burns are longer (when not burning crumbs!)

I use lump exclusively in my big offset and get deep dark smoke rings every time. Much more so than in the Egg or the Stumps, even when using the same time and temperature in the cook. I believe it's the volume of nitrogen dioxide laden air (produced during combustion) that moves across the surface of the meat in the offset as compared to the other cookers. More nitrogen dioxide to combine with the myoglobin in the meat means deeper smoke ring.

The offset has a 6" diameter stack compared to 2" on the Stumps. This is why the offset uses more fuel, but I believe it's also why I get much better smoke rings in there.

I've never heard that briquettes produced more nitrogen than lump, I'll have to try some briquettes in the Stumps to see if I get better rings. Great tip if it works!

Back