MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Default 500 hamburgers in 3 hours

So my better half's mom has a catering company where she typical sells carnival food (corn dogs, funnel cakes, cotton candy, brisket sandwiches), but now she just got a gig for 500 hamburgers and is considering a new grill since her's is not large enough.

HELP ME, help her, choose a grill or possibly a griddle(?) to serve her well. I was originally thinking it would be sweet to get the Amazon.com: Weber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettle: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416NZ7S06NL.@@AMEPARAM@@416NZ7S06NL but unfortunately I doubt she will want to have the hassle of charcoal. Any PROs of this grill over propane?

Next I thought I could convince her to buy a kick@$$ trailer smoker with grill since she would easily make her money back :) but she doesn't have the storage for a trailer.

I would LOVE a santa maria style cooker BUT again portability kills that idea. Santa maria on a smoker trailer but I digress...

She saw this 8 burner grill @ samsclub for $389 and thought it might work well but I always like to get some opinions and research before spending any money on any new toys... I mean tools... right?

What about a 36" griddle? Amazon.com: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41l41wgA4ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41l41wgA4ZL

Any booming concerns about any of the options? Any advice on selecting the right tool for the job? Do you have any other recommendations?

IF I could talk her into the massive weber charcoal grill how difficult are they to get to temps and to grill on one of them?
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
LC Que
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have two kids in high school soccer and band and so get an opportunity to grill burgers for events and to make booster money at the concession stand during football season. We use the frozen burgers and with 500 assume you are looking at the same. All I can tell you is those things make a ton of grease. The very best/low maintenance experience has been a rotisserie grill/smoker - something like:

http://www.heartlandcookers.com/

http://www.cadillaccookers.com/

The one we used was home made by one of the dad's - they work great - we were easily able to cook 4 to 6 hours with a load of charcoal (probably a double pack from Sam's). The next best thing was a big offset grill - just cooked in the main chamber and kept the cooked burgers warm in pans in the offset.

For soccer games, we are only cooking about 40 burgers and use just a small gas grill - you just have to go slow and not load it up too much. Once the grease catches fire, things get interesting.

Given the cost constraints of a big rotisserie (I do have the fever for one), I think your best bet would be the Sam's grill - it has multiple burners so you can create a few cool zones to move the burgers if the grease starts to flare up.

Hope this helps.
LC Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds like she needs something like this from Buffalo..

Convenient, portable barbecue with two fitted wheels for greater manoeuvrability.
Ideal for any outdoor catering occasion.
Supplied with attachments to fit propane gas bottle.

Ideal for any outdoor catering occasion.
Variable heat control.
Folds up to convenient size for transporting and storage.
Chrome plated frame.
Piezo ignition system.
Supplied with all attachments to fit a propane gas bottle.

Dimensions: W600 x D410 x H900mm.

Dimensions – cooking area: 600 x 290mm.

Material: 18/10 stainless steel

Power: 5 or 11 kg propane gas bottle

OR.

Fir Tree Magnum 8 Burner Gas BBQ

8 independently controlled burners.
Removable grills & trays for easy cleaning.
Griddle plates available.
Heavy duty wheels for mobility, handles at both ends.
Legs fold up for storage.
Removable drip trays.
Hose & regulator included for LPG gas.

Dimensions: W1960 x D480 x H840mm.

Grill Area: W1600 x D480mm.

Just a few ideas that may help and she can use them for smaller functions. Just be careful to keep the grease cleared out when cooking that amount of burgers.

The Ranch kettle is a good shout but reaching across that hot unit can get a bit much so I would rather have something length wise to deal with and again the grease can become a problem with no way to shut the heat off.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
The Ranch kettle is a good shout but reaching across that hot unit can get a bit much so I would rather have something length wise to deal with and again the grease can become a problem with no way to shut the heat off.

Yeah you bring up a good point. I also think it would be easier to have two kettles that way you can segregate the food to know when stuff is done etc!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Que View Post
I have two kids in high school soccer and band and so get an opportunity to grill burgers for events and to make booster money at the concession stand during football season. We use the frozen burgers and with 500 assume you are looking at the same. All I can tell you is those things make a ton of grease. The very best/low maintenance experience has been a rotisserie grill/smoker - something like:

http://www.heartlandcookers.com/

http://www.cadillaccookers.com/

The one we used was home made by one of the dad's - they work great - we were easily able to cook 4 to 6 hours with a load of charcoal (probably a double pack from Sam's). The next best thing was a big offset grill - just cooked in the main chamber and kept the cooked burgers warm in pans in the offset.

For soccer games, we are only cooking about 40 burgers and use just a small gas grill - you just have to go slow and not load it up too much. Once the grease catches fire, things get interesting.

Given the cost constraints of a big rotisserie (I do have the fever for one), I think your best bet would be the Sam's grill - it has multiple burners so you can create a few cool zones to move the burgers if the grease starts to flare up.

Hope this helps.
You and me both have a fever for a rotisserie!! I KNOW she would make her money back in an instant because she caters a LOT of outside events and the image of having such a quality smoker/grill on a trailer would bring her more $$. That being said I don't think I can convince her to step up to the plate for that kind of coin yet and she doesn't have a place to store the trailer. Trust me though, I try to think of as many reasons as to why she needs a *INSERT COOL GRILL/SMOKER* almost DAILY :)

Yeah she is getting another grill because the one she has is garbage and those greasy little patties you were speaking about DO create fires since the stupid grill has no place for the grease to go!! STUPID.

Seriously now I am going to go daydream about a rotisserie....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Fir Tree Magnum 8 Burner Gas BBQ

8 independently controlled burners.
Removable grills & trays for easy cleaning.
Griddle plates available.
Heavy duty wheels for mobility, handles at both ends.
Legs fold up for storage.
Removable drip trays.
Hose & regulator included for LPG gas.
Dimensions: W1960 x D480 x H840mm.
Grill Area: W1600 x D480mm.
Just a few ideas that may help and she can use them for smaller functions. Just be careful to keep the grease cleared out when cooking that amount of burgers.
The Sam's Club 8 burner cooker looks similar to this BTW so I want to go check it out in person tomorrow possibly.

Also I appreciate all the input!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Coo deal.
I suggest units like those above because they are very portable and are alot easier to store away in a corner plus she wont have to worry about dealing with hot coals at the end of an event. Is there no space available for her to store a trailer of any size?

My grilling trailer (The chicken Coop) would be ideal for something like this, it's built from a traffic light trailer so it already had gullwing lids on both sides and only needed a few racks put into place and exhaust. I don't have any photos of the finished build all tarted up but I do have a few before, mid way and in action as it was completed the day before it's first use...minus the paint ,new wheels and finishing touches but it cooks like a dream. lol

Consider building something with doors if you want to go the charcoal route.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Go to www.cookshack.com and check out the chargrillers. I've got the big one and can do 300 rib eyes in under 2 hours. Awesome device!!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

The grill from Sam's is much better deal than some of what is listed above. For $400 it is a pretty decent unit. The rancher is over $1,000 and not near as impressive. Don't break the lady's budget.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
WSM2
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
The grill from Sam's is much better deal than some of what is listed above. For $400 it is a pretty decent unit. The rancher is over $1,000 and not near as impressive. Don't break the lady's budget.
I agree. Sam's Club grill is all she will need. Nothing more.
WSM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Smokin J
Full Fledged Farker

I have one, and I love it. I crank burgers out on that thing all day long! you can't beat it for the price.
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG #84 W/ DELUX WARMER
MC PR-60 PIG ROASTER
MC PR-72 PIG ROASTER
CGL-60 MagiCater Charcoal Grill
Smokin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Go to www.cookshack.com and check out the chargrillers. I've got the big one and can do 300 rib eyes in under 2 hours. Awesome device!!
Is this the one you're referring to Jeff?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3602542...=263602_309572

How many steaks can you fit on there at a time? How's the grease drainage? Looks like a cool system for steaks!
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

That's the one! I do 30 big rib eye steaks at a time, and it works great. (Marinade them cook them super rare and Cambro till service - pink and fork tender). Killer on chicken too, especially HUGE piles of wings. Has 3 temp settings and I love it. Screaming hot for steaks!! There are 3 pans that pull out of the front down low and you scrape the grease out of them. Easy clean up. I bought mine direct from cookshack as a demo for $3500.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
jawpaul
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a link to the sam's unit.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...402&navAction=

The reviews look favorable. If she is wanting the best value it would probably be that one.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

If you plan to cater a bunch, don't skimp on equipment. Just my $.02. Value is a function of durability vs. utilization vs. cost and only you would know that. Mine is decidedly high end, but we paid for it in the first 3 steak cooks (250, 375, 225) as we had to turn them down before we had it.