MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Smokewood TRADE?

I was just looking on Ebay at some smokewood for sale, which got me thinking......

I have an abundance of cherry, apple, oak and beech. I've got STACKS of all of it. What I do NOT have access to is pear, grape, pecan, peach or plum. I'd LOVE to try pecan!!!!

I have a stack of large USPS flat rate boxes in my garage (you can get them for free through USPS). I'd TOTALLY be willing to chunk and mail off a whole box of whatever I got for an even trade of whatever YOU'VE got that I can't easily get here. It costs $15 flat rate to ship these boxes, no matter the weight. A pretty good deal for about 15-20 lbs of chunk that I can't get here.

I know that Do It Best has the ship to store option for bags of chunk, but so far I've only seen oak, cherry and hickory on there, which I have.

Anyone?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

I could chunk up some hickory for Cherry. Might be a couple weeks....

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
I could chunk up some hickory for Cherry. Might be a couple weeks....
Actually, I already have a bag of hickory. That's the other thing.....hickory's readily available at Lowe's, HD, etc. around here. I can't even BUY pecan though.

If you want cherry, though, Ash....pack me up some local sauces from out there and I'll send you some. THAT's a fair trade! Just don't send me some of those "non-hot" peppers.........

Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

here you go http://www.doitbest.com/Charcoal+and...sku-808763.dib

Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Let me look around this weekend and see what I can come up with as far as Pecan is concerned. What size chunks (diameter x length) are you looking for? Once I know this I could cut them up uniformly to get as much in a box as possible. I would definitely like to have some cherry especially after reading about KCquer again yesterday.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
chambersuac

I'll send ya a bag of pecans, if ya want. Shelled, of course ;)

Wish I could help ya out - used to have access to it often in TX, but sadly, no longer.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

If it doesn't rain this weekend, i'll be trimming some Sassafras trees if you are interested.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
If it doesn't rain this weekend, i'll be trimming some Sassafras trees if you are interested.
It's already raining here with a 60% chance tonight and 100% tomorrow. It's supossed to be sunny and partly cloudy Sunday. I sure hope so.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Don View Post
It's already raining here with a 60% chance tonight and 100% tomorrow. It's supossed to be sunny and partly cloudy Sunday. I sure hope so.

Sounds like i'll get wet.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Just sent you a PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Sassafras, huh? For smokewood?

OK, so I've checked out the link that Indianagriller sent and it looks like the large USPS boxes are just about the same size (792 cu in) vs the 720 cu in bags from Do It Best with the "ship to store" option. The bags run $8.99 vs $15 to ship the USPS boxes.

I'm all for helping a Brethren out, so if there's a wood that I have that you want and cannot get from Do It Best, then I'm up for a trade still, cuz....that's how I roll.

Looks like they have cherry, pecan, mesquite, hickory and apple. As stated, I have beech and oak as well.

I'd still like to get my hands on peach, grape, pear, etc.
kbraun228: PM returned.