Beef Teres Major cook (pron)

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife works a lot of night's and we had a great midweek opportunity to relax and enjoy some nice Michigan fall weather, 78* and sunny. this is my cook from this past Wednesday, Just now getting around to posting.

Started with bbq shrimp scampi. Into the yoder I put a pan of butter, garlic, and crushed red chili. While the butter mix was getting happy I grilled the shrimp, once everything was done I combined it and hit it with a big squeeze of lemon and some fresh chopped parsley. Served with grilled sourdough and garlic tomato tompenade.

After the shrimp and a few wines later, some bacon and a mix of Bella, Oyster and shiitake mushromms with olive oil, onion, garlic, s/p hit the grill.

Next came the asparagus with garlic infused olive oil, 12 year old balsamic, s/p.

At some point I prepped the teres fillet. This is a incredible cut from the chuck primal, if you haven't tried it, try it.

By this time the wine was flowing, it was getting dark so I figured we should have our salad. A nice classic iceberg wedge.

Steaks hit the grill after the salad, nothing like stretching things out I know.

And finally the steaks served with the asparagus and the roasted mushrooms. Absolutely awesome.

Our goal for the night was to enjoy some good wine, sit back and relax and just eat when the food was ready, no rush. I let the Yoder run at 325* which cooked everything perfect, and I was surprised how good the steaks turned out at this temp. They were med rare all the way through, but also warmed through and supper juicy. I may abandon the sear then indirect or smoke then reverse sear and just do my steaks at 325-350* on the GrillGrate.

Last edited:
That looks good and I especially like the plate presentation after the wine consumption.

looks great! Is the beef teres the same thing as the hanger cut?

No, the hanger steak is from the plate primal down below the rib. The teres is from the chuck primal, and sometimes called a shoulder fillet.

Good to see that cut posted on this Phorum...thanks!
Looks like you cooked it to perPhection Jonesy!

That is a great looking cook and pics! :thumb:

Nice looking dinner you have going there...

Very nice cooking! Wonder if I can find that cut around here?

My understanding is that if you have a butcher that is breaking down chuck primals he has this cut at his disposal. It was also explained to me that unless he has been trained by an old world butcher, he won't know how to get at it and is most likely grinding it into burger.

I've been eating the teres major for about 8 months and I can honestly say it is my favorite cut on the animal. It has the tenderness of a fillet but more fat and a much better beef flavor.

We sell that cut as a Petite Shoulder Tender in my kitchen. They are spectacular steaks! High yield when trimmed and always tender. We go through about 30lbs a week. That entire cook looks Fantastic. I really like that Scampi!

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery."

I am so tempted to copy this entire meal. great cook!

Fabulous looking meal right there, beautifully presented!

It sounds like you had a very relaxing and enjoyable evening.

KC

With your best hooked on fonics how do you pronounce that cut I would like to go to the butcher but don't want to screw up the name to the point he doesn't know what I am saying

With your best hooked on fonics how do you pronounce that cut I would like to go to the butcher but don't want to screw up the name to the point he doesn't know what I am saying

Its pronounced terrace, like a patio. Its also called a shoulder tender or beef shoulder petite tender, bistro fillet, or teres steak.

I see your in GP, I've actually been finding them at Gordon Food service of all places. They have it labeled as "BF CHUCK SHLDER". It comes in a cryo of 5-6 steaks, and is item number 171530. No one at the GFS by me knew what they were, including the district manager, so I bought them on a hunch and yep they are exactly what I thought they would be.

Back