MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i remember when i lost my spatchcock virginity. great memory.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice lookin bird!
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

kick Ass looking Chook mate, I want some of that

Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanB View Post
Everything looks real good FF, I kinda lean towards fruit woods for poultry, try some apple next time you do this and compare.
I'd skip the apple and go straight to cherry!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
BobM
Babbling Farker

That is a great looking cook, nice job!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Looks delicious!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

It's hard to tell from your pics, but besides removing the backbone, I make cuts between the thigh and body (as if you were removing the thigh) and at the first wing joint (as if you were removing the wing. I also give a quick whack in the center of the sternum, then flip an push down on the breast to flatten out. The two other cuts make the bird cook faster. You can even make partial cuts between the leg and thigh.
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Nicely done!!!
Looks delicious!!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #25
kylefisk
Got Wood.

Looks good. I usually make pockets under the skin with a finger and pit some BBQ sauce or pepper jelly preserve under the skin. Then coat the bird with EVOO and season with Montreal grill steak. 25mkin on either side at 400 and sear 5 min on each at end. Think the oil may be the difference but it comes out crispy that way

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
jmoney7269
Banned

Default Therm calibration

Nice looking bird! Spatchcock is the only way I cook birds now. I would highly suggest you get a calibratable dome thermometer and a grate temp thermometer, measure the grate temp @350 then adjust the done therm to match it. Dome temps don't cook food, grate temps do. Even though my vault door therm passed the boil test, it read 50 deg. higher than the grate temp measurements I was getting from the guru. So I just adjusted it now they both read the same. I cook @350 also and 4.5-5 lb birds take usually 1hr 10 min @350 grate temp annd skin is good. 400 makes the best chicken skin imo. a little trick i learned a while back, if you want crispy skin, pat the chicken skin dry and put it in the fridge over night again till the cook. that will dry it out a little. Good luck on future cooks.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #27
deguerre

SWEET! Excellent bird. I still haven't tried a spatchcock. perhaps, after seeing yours, I shall.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #28
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great! I cook spatchcocked chickens a lot, love them done that way. I still love BCC, too, though.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote