• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wireless Thermometer - ET-73, ET-732, Or Something Else ???

Have had a ET-73 for years without problem - was going to buy the 732 but Amazon selling the 73 for $28.94 w/ free shipping so I got another.

I bought the 73 before I read any reviews because it was $28 shipped. I don't know if I would buy another or not. It does everything I need it to do but I'm worried about it losing signal and locking up.

I have been trying to decide wich way to go as well for use on my UDS. I was all set to order the 732, but I really want an iQ110 too! I just can't afford them both. So I'm thinking, even if you know what the temp of the pit is you still have to go tend it. The iQ110 automates the temp, so it seems like I would be spending the money twice. Are you able to put 2 meat probes?
I have heard some say that their UDS is so predictable that they "know" how to set the intakes and then cook by feel, so some might argue why use any thermometers ...
So given the cost difference between them ($60 for the 732 and $140 for the iQ110) which way would you guys go?
I am willing to pay more for the iQ110 but not after I buy a 732.

Probe therms; Maverick732

This is a very good beginning of remote therms., if used,wiped ,carefully re-packged in it's box and removing the batteries each time(i.e.-take care of it-pride) this unit will outlast anyother you can obtain for the price. You could get a Scientific type(high dollar unit) and maybe it would last longer, but I doubt it, my dealer is a fantastic businessman and holds his products high ,if they fail to do your bidding (breaks or is damaged) he'll work with you to right it, the care you take with your equipment determines the quality. This quality...

I have been trying to decide wich way to go as well for use on my UDS. I was all set to order the 732, but I really want an iQ110 too! I just can't afford them both. So I'm thinking, even if you know what the temp of the pit is you still have to go tend it. The iQ110 automates the temp, so it seems like I would be spending the money twice. Are you able to put 2 meat probes?
I have heard some say that their UDS is so predictable that they "know" how to set the intakes and then cook by feel, so some might argue why use any thermometers ...
So given the cost difference between them ($60 for the 732 and $140 for the iQ110) which way would you guys go?
I am willing to pay more for the iQ110 but not after I buy a 732.

I had the same struggle and chose to go with the dual thermometer for now. Here are the reasons:

* I wanted a wireless thermometer for my meat temps also.
* I wanted to have something that I could use if I changed smokers or cooked with other people and their smoker.
* I don't have shelter from the rain where I cook. Although I can protect either unit with a ziplock bag or something, I was afraid that the blower motor would get wet.
* I am anal enough to where I probably wouldn't trust it (or at least not for awhile) and would be out there checking it anyway. :crazy:
* I still have the option for a Stoker or Guru which is what I really want anyway. Feel free to send donations. Any amount will work as I am not proud. :clap2:

Someone who has a 732 may know for sure but I don't see why you couldn't use two meat probes.

I thought I would update this thread with my opinion since I get such great opinions from everyone here. Give yourself a hand! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I did a couple of pork butts over the weekend and when I first set up the thermometer the temps were +20 degrees from the temp gauge on my WSM. I am not sure why, but as the cook progressed they went to with +5. :mmph: I am not sure why. I took the butts off at 195 expecting to be able to pull them but they weren't cooked that much. I ordered a Thermapen since they are on sale and will hopefully get a better baseline.

The ET-732 was simple to set up and I never lost a connection. Hopefully there was some type of break in period and I will get more consistent temps going forward. For the first time that I can remember my legs are not hurting after a cook from going in and out all the time to check on my cook.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am glad I paid the extra money for the ET-732.

I got one to go with my new WSM! Can't wait til' I get time to try both out!:mmph:

Been reading the Maverick site and see it comes with 2 probes, but can you run both probes at the same time? Looks like dual temps display on receiver, but wanted to ask as appose to assuming.

^^^Yes. One for the temp at the grate and one for the temp of the meat.

Been reading the Maverick site and see it comes with 2 probes, but can you run both probes at the same time? Looks like dual temps display on receiver, but wanted to ask as appose to assuming.

And I also don't see why you can't use both for food if you want to. It will always be labeled barbeque on the display and the probe is shorter and not curved. They both perform the same function though.

Had To Return It

When I got ready for my second cook with the unit, the food probe showed over 150 degrees when I turned it on and it never moved. Turned off the unit, swapped probes and tried again. The problem moved so it is the probe. That is the biggest drawback mentioned in Amazon reviews also. It was easy to setup and never lost a signal. Shame because the unit is good but I am not going to hassle with replacing probes all the time. :tsk:

When I got ready for my second cook with the unit, the food probe showed over 150 degrees when I turned it on and it never moved. Turned off the unit, swapped probes and tried again. The problem moved so it is the probe. That is the biggest drawback mentioned in Amazon reviews also. It was easy to setup and never lost a signal. Shame because the unit is good but I am not going to hassle with replacing probes all the time. :tsk:
You have a warranty call Maverick 1-800-526-0954 they will replace your probe.

And I also don't see why you can't use both for food if you want to. It will always be labeled barbeque on the display and the probe is shorter and not curved. They both perform the same function though.
You can get a extra food probe and use it for two meats.

Steve, do you know if they make a more durable probe for this unit?

Back