Ground Beef Taco Recipe Request

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Looking for a good seasoning recipe for some Taco's. Nothing to spicy just some good flavors.

Any ideas?

When I make ground beef tacos I saute onions and garlic until the onions are soft then add the ground beef. As the beef is simmering I add either sweet paprika or hot paprika depending on how hot I want the beef to be. Then I add salt, mexican oregano, cumin, black pepper all to taste. Sometimes I add a pinch or two of crushed red pepper.

I think the key to good tacos is keep the beef flavor simple and use the toppings especialy the salsa to liven up the flavor.

I usually wing it these days, but have used this one:
1 T Chili powder
2 t onion powder
1/2 t cayenne
1 t garlic powder
1 t paprika
1 t oregano
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt

When I make ground beef tacos I saute onions and garlic until the onions are soft then add the ground beef. As the beef is simmering I add either sweet paprika or hot paprika depending on how hot I want the beef to be. Then I add salt, mexican oregano, cumin, black pepper all to taste. Sometimes I add a pinch or two of crushed red pepper.

I think the key to good tacos is keep the beef flavor simple and use the toppings especialy the salsa to liven up the flavor.

I usually wing it these days, but have used this one:
1 T Chili powder
2 t onion powder
1/2 t cayenne
1 t garlic powder
1 t paprika
1 t oregano
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt

Thanks, these gives me a starting point, something simple. I agree that letting the beef flavor come through is the key!

I have used the Lawry's type stuff but it overpowers the meat.

Having a dinner Sunday and will try your suggestions. :thumb:

Sorry about the incomplete post earlier, got called out.

I saute some onions and jalapenos until soft. Remove them and brown the ground beef (85% ground chuck). Drain the grease add just a little of the Penzey's seasoning (1/4-1/2 tsp), the onions-jalapenos and put in a homemade salsa with just a little tomato sauce. Simmer this until the meat absorbs and dries out the moisture as I don't like sauce running down my arms. If you don't like it spicy use just half a jalapeno but cooking them this much really cuts down their heat.

I had tried the taco seasoning mixes you get in grocery stores and really like the Penzey's much better.

Sorry about the incomplete post earlier, got called out.

I saute some onions and jalapenos until soft. Remove them and brown the ground beef (85% ground chuck). Drain the grease add just a little of the Penzey's seasoning (1/4-1/2 tsp), the onions-jalapenos and put in a homemade salsa with just a little tomato sauce. Simmer this until the meat absorbs and dries out the moisture as I don't like sauce running down my arms. If you don't like it spicy use just half a jalapeno but cooking them this much really cuts down their heat.

I had tried the taco seasoning mixes you get in grocery stores and really like the Penzey's much better.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice! :thumb:

Here's mine. You'll notice that I use fresh garlic and garlic powder. I like garlic :-D

Grandpa K's Taco Seasoning:

This is my home brewed version of taco seasoning. To use it
brown 1 1/2 pounds ground beef with 1/2 an onion chopped. When
the mixture is almost browned, add 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic.
Don't add the garlic too early. You just want to heat the garlic enough
to release the oils, if the garlic turns brown it will taste bitter.

Drain the fat, add a 4 ounce can of green chilis, the seasoning
and 1 cup of water. Simmer the mixture until it thickens to the proper
consistency for tacos.

2 teaspoons dried Ancho chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
1/2 teaspoon Chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground Oregano (preferably Mexican, but Italian will work)
1/4 teaspoon ground Coriander

Here's mine. You'll notice that I use fresh garlic and garlic powder. I like garlic :-D

Grandpa K's Taco Seasoning:

This is my home brewed version of taco seasoning. To use it
brown 1 1/2 pounds ground beef with 1/2 an onion chopped. When
the mixture is almost browned, add 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic.
Don't add the garlic too early. You just want to heat the garlic enough
to release the oils, if the garlic turns brown it will taste bitter.

Drain the fat, add a 4 ounce can of green chilis, the seasoning
and 1 cup of water. Simmer the mixture until it thickens to the proper
consistency for tacos.

2 teaspoons dried Ancho chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
1/2 teaspoon Chipotle powder
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground Oregano (preferably Mexican, but Italian will work)
1/4 teaspoon ground Coriander

Thanks Kevin! That sounds really good!

Terry, I have switched over to ground pork. I stock up when butts are 97 cents a lb and run them thru the grinder. Freeze in one pound bags. We have never even been tempted to go back to beef.

NUTZ

Terry, I have switched over to ground pork. I stock up when butts are 97 cents a lb and run them thru the grinder. Freeze in one pound bags. We have never even been tempted to go back to beef.

NUTZ

Thanks! That is something I will give a try. Do not have a grinder right now but another thing for my wish list.

NUTZ

Thanks for that. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Back