Grilled Pizzas - KCQuer style

Brauma

somebody shut me the fark up.
In honor/memory of Scott, I intend to make pizzas on the grill this wknd. Ive been wanting to do this for a long time and had several discussions with Scott about it. Well, its time to stop putting it off and do it.

One question: Do I need a Kitchen Aid Mixer? I dont have one but me and the wife have been wanting one forever. Maybe its time to cruise Sams and make the purchase.

If I dont have the KA mixer, can I still make the dough?

I sure did enjoy reading Scott's posts about bread and pizza dough. He was a wealth of info on this subject. Ive gone back and found his pizza dough recipe and saved it to My Recipes folder. Rest in Peace Brother.

Which recipe are you using? We'd been talking about pizza for a while.

I copied this one from his post just a week or so ago:

Flour – “bread flour” Gold Medal “Better for Bread” 25.5 oz (5 3/4 cups)
Water (bottled or filtered if handy) 15.9 oz by weight or 1 3/4+ cups volume
Salt (kosher) 1 3/4 tsp
Oil (light olive oil or canola) 1 1/2 tsp
yeast (instant or active dry yeast) 1 tsp
sugar 1 tsp (I used honey instead and really liked the results)

You don't need a Kitchen Aid mixer...you can made really good bread dough entirely by hand...it just takes a bit longer.

Knowing KC he'd probably appreciate you breaking a sweat while kneading the dough!!

i buy it at the pizzaria. :) and yes, KC told me I cheated, and then asked me to send him some as well as try to get the recipes from the local places.

I've made bread & dough for over 30 years and didn't start using the mixer until a couple years ago.

Then again, that 6 quart KA is looking really good!

Chad is right. On the other hand KC flat out loved that KA mixer!!! The one one bonus I get from using the KA is being able to reproduce my results easier. If anything there is more cleanup than doing it by hand.

..... you can always knead it by hand. I bake large loaves on my cooker about every two weeks and have tried many different mixing and kneading approaches. My 'guru' has been Craig Ponsford who headed the U.S, baking team in France for their Coupe de Monde competition. Craig is a great advocate of flattening the dough out, folding it ( in thirds (left, right, top, bottom) rather than lots of kneading. I mix the bread flour or high protein flour, water, salt, and some of my starter, into a fairly firm dough, shape it, and place it in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap (~80*F) for 30 minutes .... take it out and fold again .... back in the bowl for 30 minutes .... then AGAIN ..... then leave in the bowl for the final time left for 3 hours total.

You can then either let it stand at room temp (>70*F) for another 3 hours and make the pizza, or place it in the refrigerator overnight. Take it out and let it stand for ~6 hours prior to making the pizza .

The critical issues are dough temp, flour/water ratio, enough salt to make the dough flavorful, folding enough to develop the gluten. Getting it the way you want it takes a bit of time an effort, but ... BIG DEAL ... all you ever risk is some flour and water (and your learning time).

For me, the neat thing about pizza dough is that it is fairly forgiving. I have had darn good results from fresh dough, old dough, wet dough, dry dough. The main thing is .... don't forget the salt, and remember our Brother KCquer while you're having fun.

Brama By hand will work and like you I have wanted a KA mixer for a long time I found my 6qt refurbished on ebay. Having said that I won the bid and it was a direct ship from Amazon.com They are a good source I would watch for a sale and make the bread by hand this weekend. Thanks way you have the pizza and can save several hundred dollars if you watch (I Love My 6qt sausage, bread, and pasta so far!.

OK dang it, now I might need pizza for lunch if I have time! You people are destroying any chance I have to look buff by the time we go to Hawaii in March! :lol:

Brauma said:
One question: Do I need a Kitchen Aid Mixer? I dont have one but me and the wife have been wanting one forever. Maybe its time to cruise Sams and make the purchase.

Going by this statement alone, yes, you absolutely need a KitchenAid mixer. You will not be able to make pizza dough without one. Run, don't walk, to Sam's!

:rolleyes: :roll: :-D :cool:

For a better price on a kitchenaid, go to their website and look for refurbished models. They have a 6 month guarantee, and you save a bundle, plus, they ship for free. I just got a professional 600 series 6 qt. model for $239 (regular is something like $470). According to Consumer's Report, it's the only one that will do dough really well. Of course, you could go with Viking, which is even better. (and more $$$).

FWIW, for more immediate gratification, I was in Costco this weekend and they had the KA pro model for $249.

............ OR Bosch Universal Mixer.... way high prices many places, but a Utah site has it for $299. free shipping. Check the power and mixer arms But then, mine is only about 15 years old ! Also, compare the power ... since there are so many different KA models around at a wide range of prices.

Jeff_in_KC said:
You people are destroying any chance I have to look buff by the time we go to Hawaii in March! :lol:

uhh..

jeff..

Forget it.. I've seen pictures.. somethings just aint in the cards.... :wink: :mrgreen:

BBQchef33 said:
uhh..jeff..Forget it.. I've seen pictures.. somethings just aint in the cards.... :wink: :mrgreen:

I second that....:shock: Besides, Jeff, its hard to maintain the waif-ish figure I have. It's just not for everyone :rolleyes:

I'll stand up for Jeff somewhat... In Grand Rapids, with 4 or so brethren around, he was the thinnest... Sad for the rest of us!

Back