MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
luv2putt
Knows what a fatty is.

Default College football and ribs

So After trying diff versions of 3-2-1 , 5-6 hour low an slow ... No foil... Just haven't been quite satisfied with my cooks on the wsm the past year... Yea they were good, but just never the right profile I was looking for .... 3-2-1 was fall off the bone tender,and which most my friends loved .. But I was never happy with the the the texture of the meat and lack of char or crust on the outside ..nor the amount of sauce slathered on .... The 5-6 hour low an slow just seemed a little to dry no matter how much I spritzed ....so I went back to the way I used to cook on my kettle ..... Put 2. Racks of ribs with a salt ,pepper garlic,and cummin rub on the smoke at 275 on lump mesquite with a little kings comp ... The temps drifted to 300-325 most of the cook which took 3 hours ...At 1-1/2 hours in I started stacking and rotating the position every 15-20 min until I pulled them .. No need for spritzing as they were self basting... No pics of fancy plates nor sides ...they were cut and eaten as soon as I was done cutting .... Ribs ...No Fannn-cy Forks needed....just pig!!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Pizzaman
Found some matches.

Looks great. Goes well with Big 10 football
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Nice cook, i have also noticed my 26er out smoking my wsm.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Really?
Only one rack???

Looking good!!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAJ View Post
Really?
Only one rack???

Looking good!!!
I know, right?! What did everybody else eat?
They look great!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

He's showing you his "stacking" method...there are 2 rack on top of each other...that he flipped during the cook...different...looks good...Nice Job...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
AWaters
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Alex

That's an interesting idea on the stacking - self basting, huh? I may have to try that.

Alex
AWaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Looks good
pmad is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
luv2putt
Knows what a fatty is.

Once the bark started forming , I stacked ... When I went out to spritz with juice and rotated the position ,spritz wasn't necessary ... I really love how these came out ... They had a nice tug but meat pulled from the bone cleanly .... I really had grown tired of eating ribs that had become sauce dependent and sweet ... I wanted ribs that the juice from the meat ran down your fingers .... Not sauce ... But that's just me, so from here I'm gonna experiment with some short foiling time buttered ,sugared and sauced,fall off the bone for my friends that like that style... But I'm keeping the high heat on the wsm for spares from here out... May try some baby backs this way too...

Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Love your style man... I cooked my LAST 3-2-1 method ribs on Friday. And I mean the LAST time I cook them that way. I know its probably great at comps but I can't stand the fall off the bone. I just want great texture, buttery bite... wam bam.