Judging requirements

Chodempole

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was told in order to maintain your KCBS judging certification you have to judge at least one competition every 2 years. Can anyone confirm this? The rules on maintaining your certification on the KCBS site do not state this. They only say you have to be a KCBS member in good standing.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any rules stipulating how often you have to judge. As long as you keep your membership current you are good. I believe if you let your membership lapse you will have to take a refresher course to be re-certified.

I don't think there are any rules stipulating how often you have to judge. As long as you keep your membership current you are good. I believe if you let your membership lapse you will have to take a refresher course to be re-certified.

Not certain, but I think this is correct.

Or at least it was when I was certified.

To be a member in good standing, pay your dues, read the Bullsheet, was all that is required.

You will have a judges meeting prior to each competition to act as a "refresher" on specific rules.

Or I could be completely wrong as its been 10 years since I was certified and things have changed/updated.

You can be a KCBS member and never have judged a contest. Only paying the membership fee is required.
To be a judge you have to take a one time class.
KCBS members can also take a judge refresher course for free.
The difference in paying for the class and auditing the class is you don't get to taste the meat as an auditor.
If your account has lapsed call the KCBS office's main number.
For a refresher course contact the KCBS office's main number.

Sam Appleton
KCBS Rep

How much does a judging class cost? (Ballpark figure)

Depends, but $100-120 seems normal around here. As I understand it, the breakdown is $40 to KCBS (for your first year membership), $40 to the reps putting it on, and then the organizer may charge whatever they want for themselves.

I was told in order to maintain your KCBS judging certification you have to judge at least one competition every 2 years. Can anyone confirm this? The rules on maintaining your certification on the KCBS site do not state this. They only say you have to be a KCBS member in good standing.

Once you are a judge you are a judge as long as you maintain your membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends, but $100-120 seems normal around here. As I understand it, the breakdown is $40 to KCBS (for your first year membership), $40 to the reps putting it on, and then the organizer may charge whatever they want for themselves.

It's more complicated than that.

Class organizers publish a fee for members and non-members. From that, KCBS collects a check covering the course fees, member fees for non-members, and the cost of meat, cooking supplies, and non-cooking supplies.

The cook is then paid for their supplies by KCBS. The cook may also be reimbursed for their cooking services and travel by the organizer.

The organizers then pays the KCBS reps directly for any travel expenses incurred.

Overly complicated? :becky: Sure. I think they do it this way so they control what supplies are used in the class. Meat purchases are VERY limited, so you aren't going to get comp style food in a judging class.

KCBS also tells organizers that the classes are not to be considered money making ventures. Of course the organizers bear the risk - there is a minimum charge for the class, and the reps will have travel expenses whether the class sells out or not, so organizers will try to make some profit on classes. It's generally not much though, and sometimes the classes lose money (for the organizers, not KCBS.)

It's more complicated than that.

Class organizers publish a fee for members and non-members. From that, KCBS collects a check covering the course fees, member fees for non-members, and the cost of meat, cooking supplies, and non-cooking supplies.

The cook is then paid for their supplies by KCBS. The cook may also be reimbursed for their cooking services and travel by the organizer.

The organizers then pays the KCBS reps directly for any travel expenses incurred.

Overly complicated? :becky: Sure. I think they do it this way so they control what supplies are used in the class. Meat purchases are VERY limited, so you aren't going to get comp style food in a judging class.

KCBS also tells organizers that the classes are not to be considered money making ventures. Of course the organizers bear the risk - there is a minimum charge for the class, and the reps will have travel expenses whether the class sells out or not, so organizers will try to make some profit on classes. It's generally not much though, and sometimes the classes lose money (for the organizers, not KCBS.)

Interesting. Thanks.

FYI- beginning in 2019- you must be a member before signing up for a CBJ class- there will be a process to sign up with KCBS & get your membership # before signing up for the class- and therefore there will be only one fee for a class.

Once again KCBS is poking their ownselves in their eye.
What possible good is going to come from adding a step to the process? First you have to sign up and pay, then find a class to attend.
I've been helping with our local classes for many years and have never been aware of any problem with new prospective members just showing up and doing it all right there.
I think the thought is it would make it easier for the office gal.
Ed

Back