MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Peaches
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Traeger help please!

Hey all! I'm new here, so if I'm posting in the wrong place just point me in the right direction. I got a traeger grill yesterday, a slightly used one. It's the one that looks like a John Deere tractor, totally cute. I used it yesterday, cooked ribs, corn, pork loin. Here's the thing, I turned it to the "smoke" setting this a.m. and it shot up to 300 degrees and was smoking like crazy! I turned it off, let it cool down, took all the pellets out of the hopper to make sure the auger was working. I took the cover off the heating chamber it seems to be working. Why is it getting so hot so quick? Is there a way to reset it? I didn't get an owner's manual with it, probably can find one online, but thought someone on here might have a simple solution! Thanks!
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

ahhhh, nothing like the sound of a traeger rookie! "this thing has a mind of it's own??!!" But take a deep breath, it is probably nothing. Even if it is something, I will tell you that traeger has some of the best customer service in the industry. If the problem persists, don't hesitate to call. I've owned a traeger for five years, I was given this traeger from my mother who owned it for 20 yrs. It's been in the family for years, and it still has some little quirks every once in a while that are difficult to explain, but usually I can figure out that it was 'operator error.'

But give it time, this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

You say your traeger is old, does it have a self starter with hot rod, or do you have to load the pellets into the hopper by hand and light them yourself? If you can answer me this - I might have some experience to offer.

joe
likeadeere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Peaches

It's not old, just slightly used. It has a self starter. After I turned it off, unplugged it, plugged it back in, started it again on "smoke" the digital readout shot to 300 quickly, but the actual temp wasn't that hot, still hotter than it should be for the "smoke" setting. I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it good. I'll keep trying! Thanks for helping.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
SteelSmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Make sure all the ash is out of the bottom and when u start it ur supposed to leave ur lid open for about ten minutes before u close it and bring it up to temp that's what the book says if disentangle work I'd call customer service like the last Guy said there great to work with. Hope this helps.
SteelSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Do you have the controller with the 180 on the markings? One thing to learn about the controller is how it operates.

Have you verified the temp it's reading independently?

Reason I ask, is that the smoke setting is a set duration for the auger to turn and feed pellets from what I know about them.

What happens from a cold start if it's not on a timed feed, then it's trying to dump pellets in and really puts a lot out, when those catch fire, it tends to overshoot the temp, but eventually settles down.

I'd do this. Turn it on, let it get to 300 and them open it up and dump the heat some, a little at a time and see if it stabilizes somewhere lower.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
FretBender
Full Fledged Farker

I don't own one, but have seen some posts on Traegers discussing the "P" settings on the controller and how they must be adjusted to get the proper auger/fan speeds and maintain a certain temp. Also some Traegers have to be shut down and restarted at the 180 setting if they are running at a higher temp, you can't just turn down the dial. You might read the Traeger forums at "pelletheads.com" for some useful info and alot of Traeger experienced people. Especially if you have the old dial control rather than the digital. Good luck and welcome to the dark side with your pellet pooper!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

I think you just had some leftover ash or something on the heating rod, which caused the mechanism to release more pellets into the chamber. Make sure to clean out the pellet pot after each use, makes for a quicker start-up and less issues. I wouldn't be alarmed...unless it stays at 300 indefinitely on the Smoke setting. If that happens, call Traeger and they can troubleshoot it with you.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

...by the way, that's a cool lookin' Traeger!
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
SteelSmokin
Full Fledged Farker

That's a great Traeger if u want to sell it let me know
SteelSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Peaches

Thanks for the help guys. I think it was the extra ash as someone mentioned. It seems to be doing fine. I did check the temp with my digital thermo, and it's ok. It's a new toy, so I gotta learn how to use it. I'm gonna download the owner's manual. I got this thing really cheap. Tho I do prefer to smoke the old fasioned way, this is something fun to have. I wouldn't have paid retail for it though.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
Johnboy57320
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : John

I got the same exact same grill used as well. I was wondering if anyone knows what model of grill these are mine the stickers are gone from the lid but I would sure like to know in case of parts and such that I might need in the future. Thanks in advance for any info on this matter.
Johnboy57320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5PQPU3ItYY
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think its because you unplugged it after use. when you turn it to off the shutdown cycle begins running the fan to burn off excess pellets. the leftover pellets plus the new dump of fuel from the startup cycle filled the firepot. when all those pellets ignited the temp got away from you.

all those pellets trying to light is why it smoked so much.