Pulled chicken yield?

swibirun

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am volunteering** my services helping my friend do a BBQ fundraiser. Last year I did it all for him, while I taught him. (He's my martial arts instructor yet my BBQ apprentice! He got an Brinkmann's SnP and is having so much fun trying new stuff)

We are debating over the second meat: chuck roast vs pulled chicken.

We're using SoEzzy's calculator and a few others but haven't found anything that gives counts for pulled chicken (as opposed to half or quarters). What's the yield for the average run o' the mill 3.5lb fryer? I'm guessing 1.5lbs but have no clue.

Thanks for your help!!!!

**The thought occurs to me that I have catered a total of 3 times now, all last year, and each time as a volunteer and each time had the thought, "There is no way you could pay me enough to do this!" :biggrin:

Fowl!

My results from cooking whole chickens and turkeys and weighing the pulled meat, have yielded between 30% and 35% when compared with the weight at purchase. I hope that sentence made sense.........

Lager,

Juggy

You might want to consider buying pre-boned thighs for the pulled chicken. The cost seems to be more, but the pulling is easier, you get more meat:grill ratio, and a lot less stuff to throw away. I bought 2 of the 8-packs of boneless-skinless thighs from Costco last week, fed 45-50 people (they had other things to eat as well), and had just under half the chicken left over. I don't remember the actual weights of the packages; next time I do this I'll write it down.

Dang good idea Zydeco. I forgot about that post you recently did on your blog. I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Back