MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default Portobello Mushroom Pizzas

We've been having a couple of vegetarian meals a week and after the meat fest of the past three days we decided tonight would be a good opportunity. In addition, there is a veggie throwdown going on now!

So, on to the pizzas.

I started with slices of sweet onion, red and green bell pepper. I rossed them with olive oil and some Pappy's Veggies on the Grill seasoning and put them on the grill to par cook.

Once they had some grill marks and were soft I took them off and set them aside. I then scraped the gills out of some portobello mushroom caps and brushed the inside with olive oil and hit them with some salt and pepper and put them on the grill gill side down to par cook.

After about 4 minutes I took the caps inside to assemble the pizzas.

I added some vegetarian pizza sauce.

and then the par cooked onions, red and green bel peppers and return the filled caps to the grill to finish cooking.

I also put some ciabatta garlic toasts on the warming rack.

Once the caps were done I added some mozzarella veggie cheese shreds and let that melt.

I also put the garlic toast on the grate to toast the top side and added some of the extra pizza sauce.

We've done these in the past but have typically added pepperoni and used regular mozzarella cheese instead of the veggie cheese. Regular cheese is better, but the veggie cheese tasted a lot like regular mozz and had a decent texture. I would do these again.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

those look really good! I gotta try them.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ron, those look simply delicious. Yum, wow, all that stuff!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Perfectly executed. My wife would love those (Vegetarian) So I won't show her these ok?

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Lotta flavors going on there. Love portobellos. Those look great.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Bgcoop8784
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Gotta try some of these soon, looks awesome
Bgcoop8784 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

It's going off the vegetarian theme (and they look good enough as it is), but I'm thinking shaved steak on top of that.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

No meat needed in that dish! I'd hit em hard!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
It's going off the vegetarian theme (and they look good enough as it is), but I'm thinking shaved steak on top of that.
That would be good!

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent Ron! The shrooms make you feel like you're eating meat if done right. Looks like you nailed it. I'd hit those HARD. I'm showing this thread to Redhot because we want to do some veggie only meals too and this idea is stellar. Which grill is that?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Excellent Ron! The shrooms make you feel like you're eating meat if done right. Looks like you nailed it. I'd hit those HARD. I'm showing this thread to Redhot because we want to do some veggie only meals too and this idea is stellar. Which grill is that?
That would be the Saber.

Try to get the biggest caps that you can find. They shrink quite a bit as they cook.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

THE Saber? You've been active! Got that baby good and dirty.
I want one...

Oh, and this pic:

Is gorgeous.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice Ron the final product looks like a cheese burger. If I didn't see the process you wouldn't even know. The sound outstanding.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for making a real veggie dish. I have grown tired of veggie versions of stuf(veggie burger patties ect). It's nice seeing good veggies cooked and eaten like the tasty eats they are.

My vegetarian and vegan friends always try to make things for me because they know I'm a carnivore of the first order and I always tell them that I'd be happier if they just made me some good vegetable dishes without being something they are not!

Great job! I think I'll make these soon as my girlfriend and I are both on diets and since we've both lost 60lbs so far it's hard coming up with new GOOD dishes without adding meat and spoiling our once a week cheat meal plan. Although she has some sort of mental block with bell peppers so I'll have to work up something different for her pizzas. Mine on the other hand will be full! LOL
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Thanks for making a real veggie dish. I have grown tired of veggie versions of stuf(veggie burger patties ect). It's nice seeing good veggies cooked and eaten like the tasty eats they are.

My vegetarian and vegan friends always try to make things for me because they know I'm a carnivore of the first order and I always tell them that I'd be happier if they just made me some good vegetable dishes without being something they are not!

Great job! I think I'll make these soon as my girlfriend and I are both on diets and since we've both lost 60lbs so far it's hard coming up with new GOOD dishes without adding meat and spoiling our once a week cheat meal plan. Although she has some sort of mental block with bell peppers so I'll have to work up something different for her pizzas. Mine on the other hand will be full! LOL
Congrats on the weight loss! Anything you would put on a pizza would work. I par-cook the toppings since the portobello caps don't take long to cook.

Naked Fatties Rock!