Question for Backyard Folks: Who does the cooking?

NS Mike D

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Who does the cooking, you or your spouse, and does that change when you are hosting indoors?

We both do the cooking. Redhot (My better half) and I often compete in the throwdowns. We both love smoking as well as general cooking and often have great fun working together.

I'm single, so if it isn't me, then there is a problem if someone else is cooking in my kitchen. Actually, the last few women I have dated were pretty bad at cooking, so there was a problem if they were cooking in any kitchen. :becky:

I do most of the cooking, but Big Al has started chipping in more and more, inside and out. It's all about teamwork here.

Typically I do the cooking outside. Donna knows her way around a grill, positively, but she does not use the smokers. As far as inside, I usually cook the meats, Donna does the veggies and we meet in the middle. She does do a bad arse veggie thing on the grill.

I man the smokers and the grills. But my wife will usually handle the side dishes. Hosting indoors depends alot on the menu but is usually a mutual deal.

When I first got married, my wife did all the cooking. Lately, I have been doing at least 50% of the cooking, if not more.

Anything on the grill/smoker - I make. If we are hosting, we both work together.

I do the bulk of the cooking nowadays, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that my wife is a teacher and I'm self-employed, so I can usually get it started earlier than her. That said, she is a fantastic cook, especially with all of her Italian family recipes. She doesn't grill or smoke, though. That's all me. She's great about helping with my recipes for side dishes, though. She'll make slaw, sauces, potato salad. She even mixed up a brine for me this morning! I'll keep her.

my wife and i have a deal. I do all the cooking and she does all the laundry

My better half is a vegetarian so she makes the slaw and cobbler and I make the meat. Works out just fine. (Plus more meat for me!)

I do 85% of the everyday dinner cooking, 50% of the weekend lunch cooking and 100% of the outdoor cooking. My wife will help with the sides and such but I'm the main cooker in our house.

I do all the cooking inside and out and have since we met. But it is what I like to do.

When I was married, I did a lot of the cooking. My wife was an outstanding baker. Me, not so much. But, I can cook. Baking and cooking are different animals. We also cooked together pretty well, with me often focusing on the meats, and her on the sides. As long as I had my things to do, and she had hers, we were great in the kitchen. We did not do well collaborating on one item, because we had very different ways of cooking. Bakers measure every farking thing, and cooks tend to wing it. After a while, she learned to not watch me cooking, and just trust it would taste good.

She also didn't mind cleaning the kitchen, but hated yard work, so we had a pretty balanced trade off there. I would cook, and she'd do most of the cleanup. In exchange, she never got her hands dirty outside.

CD

I take ownership of the grill & smoker and what goes on them. She (for the most part) does the inside kitchen stuff.

I do all the outside cooking. While I'm working the grill or smoker, my wife will make a salad and maybe a side dish inside. When we're cooking indoors, we share the kitchen. Sometimes one of us will do the entire meal to give the other a break, but more often we do the cooking (and cleaning) together.

Back