MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Default I smoked cheese this weekend.

I smoked some cheese this weekend, which is a first for me. There seem to be a million threads here on the Brethren about smoking cheese with a million different methods. (although a lot of the threads the first post tell you to search and give links to posts that tell you to search... I went 4 links down once this way )

A couple of the most common seem to be:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=122014
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cheese.html
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=smoked+cheese

I tried a modified method found on the nakedwiz.com. I used my Webber OTG with 8 briquettes lit to the side and a slice of wood on each, a waterpan on the other side full of ice. I let the Kingsford fully ash over before applying the wood. Wood was a scrape pieces from the bottom of bags. I think I had two peices of apple, a piece of cherry, and two pieces of hickory. Bottom and top vents were barely opened. A block of sharp cheeder and pepper jack directly over the ice pan. I smoked them for 60 minutes then let cool and vacuum sealed. They mellowed from Sunday to Wednesday.

Results: pretty darn tasty! I think my wife and I ate half a block of each tonight. You get a little smoke flavor as you bite in, then it goes away and then you get a little smoke aftertaste. It was good enough that I've offered to bring more to Christmas eve.

A couple of things though, I had a LOT of smoke for the first 20 minutes. I waited before putting the cheese on. After 20 minutes, it was still a lot, but close to clean blue. About 45 minutes in, I started to get clear smoke. After I was done, I removed the lid and the cheery chunk was still left and one other about 1/2. 3 Chunks had burned themselves out... I'm not sure if you need clean blue smoke with this??? Is sweet blue even possible with the soldering iron method???

I was getting temps around 150* at the grate beneath the cheese. I couldn't get them lower. The pepper jack melted. This method can work, but I need to work on it. I used 8 briquettes because I figured my OTG would need more than a fully insulated BGE. Mistake. I also think letting the briquettes fully ash over might have gotten them too hot. Maybe I'll pick up a bag of natural royal oak briquettes.

I might try it on my UDS next with ice in the waterpan. I like the idea of a bigger surface to put the cheese on. And further from the fire should be cooler. I'm just imagining it being a pain to lower the basket without the wood falling off the briquettes. I might try the soldering iron method too. Easy enough, but I like the idea of smoke from a real fire. Seems more natural in my crazy head.

I've seen people here say that it needs to mellow for 1 to 2 weeks. I did 3 days and thought it was good. Maybe mine didn't have as much smoke in 60 minutes, so I wonder if mine would mellow too much in 2 weeks? Guess we'll find out...

Pretty easy to do and lots of ways to do it. Everyone should try it.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

it's not free and you need to buy pellets but the A-maze-n maze smoker is by far the easiest was to cold smoke IMHO, you can even use sawdust or pellets. it will provide hours and hours of cold smoke with no attention other than lighting it. i used a homebrew method that worked like the AMNMS using expanded metal but i went ahead and ordered the AMNMS yesterday. check it out, i'm sure you wont regret it.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...-m-maze-smoker

...and no, i dont have stock in it. it's just a great product

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the link. I've seen those before. Another great method. Might not be a bad item to put on the Christmas wish list. I would be interested in opinions from people who have done multiple methods if there are any differences.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Thanks for the link. I've seen those before. Another great method. Might not be a bad item to put on the Christmas wish list. I would be interested in opinions from people who have done multiple methods if there are any differences.
Well, I've done the soldering pen in a can method for cold smoking bacon and it worked well. It did flame up once during the smoke so I personally wouldn't use that method for cheese. If you look through my posts you see my simple cold smoke method with expanded and that worked beautifully. Those are the only 2 methods I've used to cold smoke, they both worked well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
wct
Knows what a fatty is.

Fill your amaz-n tube half full with cherry or apple pellets. Start it and let it burn for 2-3 hours. Vacuum pack your cheese for at least one week, (better if you can wait for 2-3 weeks, sometimes it's hard) and you have some of the best tasting smoked cheese there is.

As stated above, the amaz-n tubes are the only way to go.
Rec-Tec#1165, Traeger 075 Texan (1990's model), Weber Genesis E-330, Bradley digital 6 Shelf Smoker[/SIZE]
wct is offline   Reply With Quote