MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #1591
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

So, Rib Tips continue to be a big seller, they look to be your biggest item. That is interesting to me, as they are not an item out here.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #1592
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian8 View Post
would it be worth it to reduce the menu to only carry higher margin higher volume sellers?
Nope. On our comment cards people fill out, menu variety is the one thing that we're constantly dinged on. And when we first opened, the menu was even smaller, but people wanted the stuff they are used to getting in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
So, Rib Tips continue to be a big seller, they look to be your biggest item. That is interesting to me, as they are not an item out here.
Tips are mostly a chicago area, midwest thing. When I opened I didn't even have them on the menu. I've never been a huge fan and figured people would just get racks instead. Nope. Every other person that came in wanted tips. Had lots of people walk out because we didn't have them. Infact, people will often still walk out if they get here and learn we're out of tips or if they have to wait for the next batch to come off.

Other than all the space they take up on the smoker, I don't mind them now. Unlike ribs and brisket, there's basically zero trimming, so you get to use everything you're paying for. And the price isn't bad, so the margin is pretty good.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #1593
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

Never stop advertising, it is a fatal flaw that many people make. Second once you get to the point that you think you never need to advertise, then raise your prices. You may lose some customers, although you are making a higher margin and the trade off is worth it. After about 18 months, I would take a good look at your menu and see if you can work the 80/20 rule. Where 20% of your items are making you 80% of your money. At that time you can drop some items if you want to. 80/20 is where you want to be.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #1594
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post

The main issue last week though was me hitting my physical limit. On Saturday I was about at the point of collapsing due to exhaustion.
your health(and your family) are important enough for you to schedule a day away from the business(barring emergencies)---every week!!

Love your sharing of this journey!!
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #1595
Pete's Meat
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey, I was just on your website checking out our menu, an under the brisket player it says "I generous serving" instead of "A". Just a heads ups. Unless that's how you guys talk on that side I the country!
Pete's Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #1596
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for catching the typo. We may talk funny up here, but that isn't included.

And today may be my lucky day. Found a used double CVAP for $800 in Chicago. He said it works, which I'd hope so, but frankly at that price I wouldn't even care if it didn't. My repair guy could fix it up for another $500 and I'd still save about $4k. And all of my hot holding issues would be solved. Wouldn't improve smoker capacity, but it would certainly help me maximize the space I do have in it.

Now I just need the guy to call me back so I can set up a time to go pick it up.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #1597
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome score on the CVAP.

Are you using rib racks in the SP? Have you thought about finishing some brisket flats in the rib racks. Start them flat then finish on edge... it would give you time to cook more ribs.

Brisket is your biggest seller. You have to add up all the brisket items and also look at your margin.

Another option you now have is grilled chicken on the broiler. Chicken is staying cheap and the margin is evaporating as pork and brisket get more expensive. Just some food for thought (yes I did).
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #1598
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Sweet deal on the CVAP. Congrats. You deserved some good karma.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #1599
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Kate Upton. At The Prized Pig? Possibly. The saga continues...
I'm thinking we are all still waiting for pictures.

Anyways I love following this thread and check in daily. Am I crazy for still dreaming about opening up a small place even after reading this thread?
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #1600
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's a picture of the best seller. Rib tips with mac and cheese and potato salad.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #1601
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

Yummy :)
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #1602
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Last night was quite a test. Had some scheduling issues and it was just me and a cashier from 6 to close. Talk about multitasking.

And I need to hire two more people next week if possible. The way things are going, there are no more "slow" days where we can get by with a relatively light crew, and most of my people are already working close to 40 hours so it's time to get some extra hands in here.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #1603
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Since I know many of you are interested in some of the details about sales and menu item breakdown, I pulled up last week's stats. This is for the 5 days wed through sunday. Could have done a lot more, but sold out at about 6 on Saturday and at 4 on Sunday.

312 soft drinks/tea/coffee
The number of drinks you are selling seems low to me. I was under the impression that drinks are a HIGH profit margin item. Is there a way you can push these? Include with a combo meal?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #1604
Countryboyswagger
Knows what a fatty is.

I might have missed this but where or when can we get a shirt? I live too far away to make the drive, but I'd wear your shirt as a substitute.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #1605
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Pardon my ignorance, but the rib tips are what's leftover when you cut spares down to St. Louis cut, right? How are you cooking these that they don't end up all chewy (which is what happens when I try to do this)?
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote