MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #1501
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice post, but -
Quote:
The pickles were something that made me remember the place. I am THRILLED to see the recipe posted here.
I didn't see the recipe. What page? Thanks.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #1502
defence18
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
Nice post, but -
I didn't see the recipe. What page? Thanks.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=545
defence18 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #1503
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Those pickles are great. For the first batch, I put half a habanero in each container as I was filling them. Couldn't really tell it was there. For the second batch, I put the sliced habanero in the simmering water to try to get some of the oil extracted. I also added a half teaspoon of cayanne to each container (next time I will put this in the pot to simmer too). This gave it a "little" heat.

Yes, we like things spicy...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #1504
mchar69

Oh, got it - thanks Defence. I though they were fried pickles, which I've never had.
Recipe looks delicious.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #1505
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformalGreeting View Post
I've read this forum off and on for a while...
Thanks for the kind words, and I truly appreciate your honest review. Next time you stop in be sure to take a minute to introduce yourself so we can talk some BBQ.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #1506
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

How is the new POS system working?
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #1507
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bperkins01 View Post
How is the new POS system working?
It's fantastic. Took a bit of getting used to, but it's super simple to use. And I love how we have a remote ticket printer so the guys on the line can get to work putting the orders together before waiting for the cashier to pass the ticket or worry about reading bad handwriting.

As for me, I love the data. Realtime stats either on my computer or phone, and I can now track so much data about the sales and what's being sold when. Like this:

Yesterday we had 251 total orders. Not bad for a Friday

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #1508
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

That is great information and simply presented.

Have you ever post a pic of the Rib Tip Platter?
I'd like to see that since it is #1
Thanks for sharing
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #1509
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
It's fantastic. Took a bit of getting used to, but it's super simple to use. And I love how we have a remote ticket printer so the guys on the line can get to work putting the orders together before waiting for the cashier to pass the ticket or worry about reading bad handwriting.

As for me, I love the data. Realtime stats either on my computer or phone, and I can now track so much data about the sales and what's being sold when. Like this:
What system did you go with? I may be in the market soon.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #1510
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post

Yesterday we had 251 total orders. Not bad for a Friday
Hmm, I would never think the rib tip platter would be your #1 item. Obviously not basing that on your food in particular as I have yet to have it, but I am inching closer on a road trip from NYC to do so!
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #1511
mchar69

Does it also show your margins? Like drinks are only 4.2 of sales but might have high margins and make 12% of total profit (or more?). It's good to see each transaction averages about $9.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #1512
castlepines
is One Chatty Farker

It's only showing info for one day. The rib tip platter was the best seller for that day.

I'm also interested if you can separate the data by margins...
castlepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #1513
Grumpy Smiles
Knows what a fatty is.

What a great thread. Thanks for taking us along on your ride, as it's really been an eye opener for anyone wanting to jump off the cliff and do something like this. I wish I lived within driving distance to come see your place and eat. Congratulations on your opening success!
Grumpy Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1514
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

That POS info is awesome. Like others mentioned margins are very important. I think another good thing to do is after a month of data I would break it down by day and sittings (lunch vs dinner) and see what sells the best. If no one is buying whole chickens for lunch might as well dedicate a lot less space in the smoker for that. That's great info and I am sure the more time and info it gets the more intelligent decisions you can make.

Great work! Been following this from day one. Very proud of you guys for doing this. I hope happiness now stays after the success you guys have had.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #1515
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, everyone. Had quite a few brethren stop in this week. I didn't catch the names since it was crazy busy, but appreciate those of you who came out.

For those wondering, the POS system I'm using is www.shopkeep.com It's iPad based, which is great since it can also be used remotely, such as on-site catering, etc. And it was surprisingly affordable. The hardware I had to purchase, like the cash drawer, two thermal printers, and stuff came out to something like 800 bucks. Then I just had to buy a basic ipad. Figured even if I didn't like the POS itself, I could just keep the ipad since I've wanted one anyway.

The weather improved slightly over the past few days so it's been another record week. The last few days the smoker has been at, or even over capacity as we try to keep up. The cvap for holding is more than maxed out. We have trays stacked on trays stacked on trays, and even started using a mobile steam pan warmer to hold even more, and still can't keep up.

While being so busy is great, I can begin to sense it's also becoming a detriment for some. One, there isn't enough parking. We seat 38 and have 20 parking spaces, two of which are handicap. I've had a number of people tell me that they come here for dinner, but there's nowhere to park so they just keep driving. And some take-out people have complained that they are just coming to pick up an order and have to park in the alley or in the middle of the lot just to run in to get their order. Also had a few people see the line outside and said they didn't want to stand in line.

I mean, I totally realize that this is a great problem to have, but at the same time I want to be able to serve as many people as possible and not have people not stopping because of the traffic. When the weather really starts to get warm, I don't know what we're going to do. I mean this entire concept was built around doing 50-80 customers a day, but we're doing 200-300 a day and could do more if we didn't sell out due to capacity issues.

And this doesn't include all of the catering requests I've had. It's only been about two months and I've got a bunch of requests to do weddings, graduation parties, etc. Since these are typically on weekends there's just no possible way without additional smoker space.

I'll figure it out, but it's been overwhelming to say the least. But at the end of the day, it's pictures like these that people post on facebook that make it all worth it in the end. She literally ordered and ate a full half pound of brisket herself.