• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lang 48 verses Lang 48 Deluxe???

Bama Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Lang 48 verses Lang 48 Deluxe???

Can't make up my mind, the only difference that I can see is the holding box. About $500.00 dollars more. Pricey for for a small holding box. I like using a holding box. Has any body used or around a lang 48 deluxe. Is this box usable or just show?? I would like to use it for Comp.
Thanks
Big Jim

i have a 60 deluxe, and never use the holding box. tried it once and over cooked everything, gets to hot :p:p

Upgraded from the 48 Patio to the 60 mobile (both without the warmer).

Here's an option;
Bought 2 Carlisle food carriers ($195 a piece)... plus 5 full hotel trays... about $500 total.
During a cook, place a hotel tray on the top of the firebox... filling halfway with water.
Ten minutes later, transfer the tray of (now) simmering water to the food carrier to pre-heat.

For nearly the same price... you now have a transportable, portable option.
Also have seen folks pre-heat their sticks in the Lang warmer... catching on fire, too.

[Bought the 48 intending to do comps... the 60 does it better... alot better.]

Last edited:
I have a 48D and can get temps between 150-230 in the warmer. Not a lot of room (2 racks) but I've done ABTs and moinks in there.

So the warming racks is pretty much a waste because of temps getting too high in there? No way to adjust it?

Heres another thought. I have read where the paint has peeled away from the top of the firebox on the Langs without the warming box. This is cosmetic but for me I would not be real happy with it. Probably not an issue if you have the warming box sitting on top of the firebox.

Here is another opinion...check Craigslist for a good used Lang or the for sale section here....You might end up with a better smoker for a few less clams....
jon

Same question

I am considering the 48 Deluxe for competitions. The thought was that I could start briskets and shoulders in the main box, than foil and transfer them to the warmer to finish thus making room for the ribs and chicken in the main box.

Am in wrong in thinking the warmer box can also be used for cooking? Thanks.

I have an old 1160DX, which as best I can tell is somewhere between the current 60 and 84 Deluxe's. I use it early in the cooks to warm the wood. Careful, it gets VERY hot in there, hot enough to create a fire (been there; done that; thankfully no tattoo). When I set temperature gauges in there it ranges from about 175 to 210, give or take, except on the very bottom (or top of the fire box). It's a little hotter there, I'm certain. I haven't had the opportunity, yet, but I imagine it's a great place to put a pan of beans, etc. to slow warm/cook 'em.

Consider another smoker, the workmanship on Lang's leaves a lot to be desired...Many other pits are built better. imho

Consider another smoker, the workmanship on Lang's leaves a lot to be desired...Many other pits are built better. imho

Don't take this as a flame but can you name a few that are better and in the same approximate price range? I'm open to other options. Also, have you ever cooked with a Lang?

I'm asking because a friend of mine won Grand Champion of the Safeway BBQ Battle in DC this weekend using a Lang 60. Myron and the Old South team came in fourth.

I have a Lang 84D; I use the warming box often.

I'm not sure if it's b/c the 84 has a larger box than the 48 & 60, but between the butterfly vents on the top & the main smoke chute on the bottom, I'm able to accuretly play with the temp between 140-220 (that's according to the built in temp gauge on the top portion of the warming box door)

I get this everytime, everyone thinks langs are SOOOO great, but they don;t know what they are looking at in terms of welds and workmanship. The design is great and has been proven over and over again. However if I am dropping 1600 bones on a 48" smoker I would like things to be put together good as well as work good. Here are some pics for you and also I have smoked on a lang here are the pics I took of it, worked good just looks like $hit. I build better smokers and am cheeper but there are many others in other parts of the country I am sure, I would have to look to find some for ya and know if you are stuck on a offset model. My humble opinion is a vertical is way more efficient. any ways here are the pics...and yes this was a lang not a clone:shock:

DSC_00070007.jpg

DSC_00100010.jpg

DSC_00080008-1.jpg

DSC_00090009.jpg

DSC_00060006.jpg

Sorry now back to the topic
Don't take this as a flame but can you name a few that are better and in the same approximate price range? I'm open to other options. Also, have you ever cooked with a Lang?

I'm asking because a friend of mine won Grand Champion of the Safeway BBQ Battle in DC this weekend using a Lang 60. Myron and the Old South team came in fourth.

Never seen a Lang look like that, that is horrible. What do you make? Got a website? I have no problem supporting a small business looking to make a name for themselves.

Got14U,

Those pictures are most probably from a very old early smoker many many years ago.
There are no such raw welds as you show on the my second generation 60.
Nothing close to it on the third gen 48 patio... when I had it... very smooth.

how old is the lang in the pics.i just left the factory with two new units and can say the work is much better than what i see in those pics.just asking.

No website to speak of yet, still working on that....Just search Western Smokers and there are threads on here
Never seen a Lang look like that, that is horrible. What do you make? Got a website? I have no problem supporting a small business looking to make a name for themselves.

It is a early model for sure. I do not know about these days, I have spoke to a guy that went through his facility and he was not impressed. He was a welder tho and Lang uses student welders for his shop or at least that is what I am told...Nothing against the guy and if his craftsmanship has gone up then by all means great...Just not a big fan is all...Not a real big fan of Horizontals to begin with
Got14U,

Those pictures are most probably from a very old early smoker many many years ago.
There are no such raw welds as you show on the my second generation 60.
Nothing close to it on the third gen 48 patio... when I had it... very smooth.

missed this, honestly I don't know it was purchased by the college here in town. It is definitely an older model with the round tank ends.....this just goes to show that quality should be ones priority when doing business because people see old work and new work.
how old is the lang in the pics.i just left the factory with two new units and can say the work is much better than what i see in those pics.just asking.

Back