MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

Default Got my Lonstargrillz insulated smoker home!

As some may already know, I drove down to Conroe, TX this past week/weekend to pick up my Lonsestargrillz insulated vertical smoker. It was a long trip but worth every mile with my teenage son. It seems the older they get the less time I get to spend with them. Some of you already know what I mean. I got to Conroe late Thursday afternoon. Exhausted to say the least. Got to Lonstargrillz Friday morning. As some have mentioned, it is a shop behind the owners home. I pulled in and was immediately met by Chris the owner. He introduced himself and took me to a loading dock where my smoker was waiting on me. My first impression....HUGE! About 800# worth! This thing was a beast! I guess I never realized how large it was from the pictures. Chris gave me the grand tour of the smoker as well as his shop and all the projects that were going on. He even took me to his back yard deck and showed me his vertical smoker in his outdoor kitchen. We talked BBQ for at least an hour. He is a super nice guy and is doing it the right way. His product line is top notch. He uses heavy steel and the craftsmanship is superb. If you are considering a vertical insulated smoker you have lots of choices. But it would be in your best interest to consider Lonestargrillz. Ive only seasoned mine so far and cooked a little bacon to check for eveness of heat per rack. It did a great job. cooked even from front to back and shelf to shelf. The cooker held heat for over 8 hours just from seasoning on maybe 2lbs. of lump. I took a few pictures while I was at his shop but for some reason I cant get them to load to my computer. Ill work on that. I cant express enough how impresssed I was with the build quality, heavy gauge steel and massiveness of this unit. It took 6 of us to unload it! The cooker is definitely commercial quality and I expect a long life and some great Q. I'll keep you guys posted and try to get those pictures to load. Im gonna try some butts this coming weekend so I'll post a report on that cook as well.
shagnasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the new rig! Can't wait to hear how she does on an actual cook!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

For the pictures, upload them to Photobucket and paste the img link in your message. Easiest way by far. Can't wait to see the pics of the shop and your new smoker.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

actually the easiest way to post pics is to use the "manage attachments" options on the bottom of your reply window and just upload them here.

If you dont see the "manage attachements" button look for the "go advanced" button click that, then you will see it

Congrats on the new pit!!!
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
SmittyJonz

Good Deal. Get them pic loaded.
Did y'all find any Good BBQ along the way?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

On the ride down we passed a few but actually didnt eat any til we got to Conroe. Lady at the hotel told us about Vernon's Kountry BBQ. It was ok. Nothing special. But better than a chain restaurtant. On the return trip I was too excited to get that baby home to look for many BBQ joints. I did however get to meet a nice Texas state trooper who reminded me that the speed limit was 75 not 85..LOL! He was a cool dude and wrote me a warning. I'll have to get some tech help on the pictures. I am at work and I sent them all to my work email via my phone. for some reason only one came thru and I cant get it to move off the email....Ill get them loaded up tonight from home.
shagnasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
SmittyJonz

I post pics off my phone easier with photobucket app.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Cant wait to get a full review!!!!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnasty View Post
As some may already know, I drove down to Conroe, TX this past week/weekend to pick up my Lonsestargrillz insulated vertical smoker. It was a long trip but worth every mile with my teenage son. It seems the older they get the less time I get to spend with them. Some of you already know what I mean. I got to Conroe late Thursday afternoon. Exhausted to say the least. Got to Lonstargrillz Friday morning. As some have mentioned, it is a shop behind the owners home. I pulled in and was immediately met by Chris the owner. He introduced himself and took me to a loading dock where my smoker was waiting on me. My first impression....HUGE! About 800# worth! This thing was a beast! I guess I never realized how large it was from the pictures. Chris gave me the grand tour of the smoker as well as his shop and all the projects that were going on. He even took me to his back yard deck and showed me his vertical smoker in his outdoor kitchen. We talked BBQ for at least an hour. He is a super nice guy and is doing it the right way. His product line is top notch. He uses heavy steel and the craftsmanship is superb. If you are considering a vertical insulated smoker you have lots of choices. But it would be in your best interest to consider Lonestargrillz. Ive only seasoned mine so far and cooked a little bacon to check for eveness of heat per rack. It did a great job. cooked even from front to back and shelf to shelf. The cooker held heat for over 8 hours just from seasoning on maybe 2lbs. of lump. I took a few pictures while I was at his shop but for some reason I cant get them to load to my computer. Ill work on that. I cant express enough how impresssed I was with the build quality, heavy gauge steel and massiveness of this unit. It took 6 of us to unload it! The cooker is definitely commercial quality and I expect a long life and some great Q. I'll keep you guys posted and try to get those pictures to load. Im gonna try some butts this coming weekend so I'll post a report on that cook as well.
Welcome to the LSG family! When I went to pick up my pit, Chris was gone getting baby formula at the store, so I settled up with his wife. They really do a great job for such a small operation and I was really happy to support a small ma and pop business for a change rather than a big company or a box store. As I was loading my pit up I saw one of the insulated pits waiting to be picked up and I was impressed with it's size as well, that thing can hold a lot of food! I'm sure that you are going to have many great experiences with your new baby, I've had mine for nearly five months now and I'm still finding new things that I can do with it. It's such a joy to cook on a quality pit after cooking for so many years on a cheap box store offset and the amazing thing is that with about ten times the cooking capacity, my new vertical offset uses about the same amount of fuel as the old pit did! LOL! So congrats, you made a great decision on your pit builder!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

here are a few pictures of me at Chris' shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131025_084733.jpg (49.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg smoker 2.jpg (47.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg smoker on patio 2.jpg (44.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg smoker opened.jpg (44.0 KB, 162 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OLK231025_084140.pdf (664.9 KB, 23 views)

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
peeps

That sure is purdy! She'd look better all seasoned up, though
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

You can see from the size of me 6'3" 240 lbs that this is a big smoker. Chris is the one in the picture with me and thats him with his smoker in his outdoor kitchen. The picture of the smoker next to the brinkman offset is at my home. That gives you an idea of its size too. Ive got some more pictures I just need to get them off the phone.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

WOW...first time seeing this beast..I like it quite a bit! congrats- thats a nice one.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

appreciate all the positive feedback. I did alot of research before the purchase and there are alot of options out there. What sold me on this one was the capacity, thickness of the steel and the fact it was fully welded. The price was competitive to the other brands and it just appealed to me more than some others. For me, I think I got what I was looking for. Now I just gotta get some meat on that thing this weekend.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Okie Sawbones
Banned

I just watched their video. Seems a lot of thought went into it. Enjoy, pard!
Okie Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote