MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default A little char and a little scruff. the making of a perfect steak.

As I pulled into the drive way, I happen to notice the thermometer on the front porch was alot lower than it usually is. Tonight, it was in the low teens. A very cold and dreary night. To brighten me spirits, I had some nice new organic grass feed New York steaks and some rib-eyes thawed out to room temp. Now, from here on out, I am going to do some UN-orthadox procedures to these steaks. BUT these procedures will produce the most tastiest, juiciest, tenderest steak mankind has ever had!

First things first. Let you steaks thaw to room temp. They must be at room temp for these results to inspire the tongue. Once the steaks are thawed. Season them with sea salt or kosher salt, garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne.

I know I know, some of them are cut in half but my mum did that for a good reason. She wanted to give the widow next door some dinner. Anyway, let them sit for 45 minutes to one hour. This creates a layer called the pelicale layer. The salt brings moisture to the surface, via osmosis. During this process, proteins are unfolded and somewhat broken apart. This will create a caramelized texture and a very tender steak.

In the mean time start the fire! Fill up a full chimney with either briqs or lump. It doesnt matter for this cook since we will be cooking about a quarter of an inch from the hot coals. Once the coals are red hot, spread them out on the cooking grate of the kettle (mines a weber), yes I said the cooking grate. Once they are in a single layer, place a second cooking grate right on top.

As the grates and coals continue to heat up. It is now time to make the finishing sauce for the steaks to rest in. Take about a 1/4 cup of olive oil, mix in some fresh diced parsley,sage and rosemary. You can also add some other things if you would like to. Spread the sauce onto the resting plate or carving plate.

Now that the coals have heated up. It is now time to cook the steaks. Before cooking the steaks. use a sharp knife and cut cross hatch marks into the meat. This will allow the pelicale and finishing sauce to enter the meat. Believe it or not, roughin up the steak like this does not let any juices out. When meat is cooked over high heat, the meat becomes porous anyway and juices will naturally run out. Thats why it is important to cook steak over high heat, it is to cook it as fast as possible, creating excellent texture whilst allowing most of the juices to stay in the meat. It does not lock them in.. Place the steaks on the grill and cook 2 minutes on each side or until it is cooked the way you want. No need to rinse the salt off of the steak.

Well, as you can see. Those are some mighty fine steaks. Grass feed actually has a very very excelent taste and marbeling. I LOVED them!.. I also baked up some fresh artisan bread to go with the steaks. mm mm good.!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, those steaks look tasty!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Ijustwantedtolookatpics
On the road to being a farker

Those look great. Now I'm hungry!
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

GREAT lookin' grub!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, very interesting technique! Can't argue with results! Looks TAY-STEE!
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

awesome idea ! looks like it worked perfectly,

Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
landarc

Now. that is thinking, I like the setup LT

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
LT72884
Babbling Farker

thanks guys. I was trying to find out a way to get a awesome char on steaks with just regular kingsford. i did this so that others who cant find lump can get some killer results on steaks. i saw i had two cooking grates and then i just happened to put one on top of the other for storage and thats when it hit me. dun dun dun!. haha very very tasty stuff

Old 12-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
BobM
Babbling Farker

Great looking cook. You cooked your own bread, nice job!

Thanks for the pics.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
jocull
Got rid of the matchlight.

Great looking steaks! Similar in cooking concept to the T-rex method.
jocull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Fark! those look GOOD!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Steaks and Bread look great.
Can you post up a recipe for the bread?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Great cook, looks wonderful!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Excellent idea! Seems like that would work well for a high heat sear. Great post!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
NorthwestBBQ

You are cooking steaks high heat!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote