Jambo/Yoder YS1320/R&O or keep what I got?

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Question -
between a jambo, yoder ys1320 pellet smoker or an R&O smoker. which would you pick?

Question 2 -
I think I may want a new smoker for comps and some catering and the above is some I am looking at (but the list keeps growing). I already have the following smokers;
backwoods compeditor, lg BGE, 22.5 WSM. I have been thinking on adding the yoder pellet smoker to my current smokers as well.
so with that said I think it is a PAIN in the BUTT in loading what I already have and going to a comp or catering gig. I was thinking on selling the backwoods compeditor and going with a trailed pit like a jambo or R&O.

Next I have been doing quite well in comps with the BW and i have never cooked on a jambo or R&O so I am kind of worried about making a big jump.

Question 3 -
How much does a good used BW compeditor go for?

Question 4 -
if you where tiered of lugging all that stuff around and went with one smoker what would you go with?

I think that the question of which cooker(s) to use in a competition depends largely on your personal situation: How do you plan to transport your cookers? How do you plan to transport your other stuff? How do you plan to setup your cook site? Do you have any preferences on hot n' fast vs low n' slow?

If you have an enclosed trailer with a ramp, then something on casters is really easy, wether it's a PCC, Klose, Yoder, Jambo backyard, or one of the many cabinet smokers. The enclosed trailer can also haul the rest of your stuff. If you have an RV, van, large SUV, or the like, then something on a trailer might make more sense to you. If your RV has a patio or you get a pull-behind trailer with one, then you can mount just about whatever you want to it: I've seen FECs, BWS, Meat Monsters, and just about everything in between mounted like that. It's really hard to say without knowing your logistic situation.

On the other hand, there's the hot n' fast vs low n slow question. I've seen teams cook low n' slow and hot n fast on cabinet smokers and do well. Most of the teams that I've seen cook on Jambos do it hot n fast. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I can think of one team (that's on the Brethren) that used to cook on WSMs, got a Jambo, and then adjusted their whole schedule to cook hot n fast as a result. They do pretty well:) I know another brethren who has a custom built stick burner, moved to a cabinet to cook hot n fast on it, and is going back to the stick burner this year. He's done pretty well over the years as well. There is the question of what puts out the best Q, but I've seen teams with all types of cookers (gravity, BWS, Pellet, and Jambo) do well. For what it's worth, one of the top teams in the country last year cooks on BWS. The top team in this area the past few years cooks on a Spicewine. Another top team in the area cooks on FECs, and a lot of top traveling teams cook on Jambos something that looks very similar. How late do you want to stay up and how early do you want to wake up?

If money weren't an option, for the purchase or fuel, I'd get an RV with a patio and then have something mounted on the patio. Meat Monster would be toward the top of my list. Maybe a BWS or Gravity fed. The good thing with those three is that I think they can be used pretty successfully HnF or LnS. Of course, some teams do very well with WSMs, both HnF and LnS. Answer questions for yourself first.

dmp

EDIT: A pit on casters being "really easy" is relative and depends on the cooker. My Offset cabinet smoker was on casters and about 1,500 lb when I got it. I tried to get it on and off of trailers, and it was too much work. I mounted it on a trailer instead. Other pits are 200-300 pounds and much easier. I think that the Onyx oven can be carried by one person. Size, weight, and wheels matter.

How much capacity do you think you will need to cater? I'm sold on the Jambo, but I don't know that I'd plan to feed the masses. I've cooked on the J3 and Backyard and been very happy with the product they turned out.

I have the Fatgirl from R&O and have cooked on his big trailer pit both are awesome .

I'd say get the Yoder, mount it and the Competitor on a 16' open trailer along with a stainless table or 2 and cook contests or cater from right off the back.

Question 5: Do you like getting a sleep at comps?

No problem getting sleep with the Yoder YS1320! No need to maintain the fire all night.

The 1320 is about 600 pounds, but is real easy to load and unload by one person, I guess unless you weigh 110 pounds and wear flipflops. :grin:

A suggestion: get a sinewave power inverter and deepcycle battery so you don't have to worry about comp power.

as dmp said, without know ALL the logistics, kinda hard to say.

but, if catering is in the picture i'd opt for the spice single axle over the jambo for a trailered cooker.

if smaller catering, and mostly focused on comp, i'd go with two chubby G2's.

i can't imagine the yoder any easier to lug around than the competitor.

businesswise, i'd think the point of dimishing returns would set in with either the r and o or jambo for catering. not enough capacity to cover initial cost, although i'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was even a thought in my head possible in my budget and fark "business cost".

so there ya go, i pointed both fingers over both shoulders. :becky:

Yes Iike sleep. I have no camper or RV. Just a 4x4 dodge ram truck. I also tend to cook low and slow and ribs around 275. But have done a few cooks hot and fast with good results.

I cook on an custom R&O offset....to me its the best pit on the market....maybe cause Im partial...the owner is my neighbor and I sell a ton of them for him....:loco:..but buying a pit is just like buying a pick up.....you need to buy what you like and can produce the best bbq on....and that makes you happy......all of our input is worth nothing if you dont like the cooker or not satisfied with the end results...:idea:

I cook on an custom R&O offset....to me its the best pit on the market....maybe cause Im partial...the owner is my neighbor and I sell a ton of them for him....:loco:..but buying a pit is just like buying a pick up.....you need to buy what you like and can produce the best bbq on....and that makes you happy......all of our input is worth nothing if you dont like the cooker or not satisfied with the end results...:idea:

i dunno, my pick up doesn't produce very good Q. :loco: but i'm not from texas. :p

How does the R&O hold pit temps across the cooking surface and how efficient are they on wood consumption?

Yes Iike sleep. I have no camper or RV. Just a 4x4 dodge ram truck. I also tend to cook low and slow and ribs around 275. But have done a few cooks hot and fast with good results.

I would suggest staying with what you know and are currently comfortable with for comps. Can be a bug learning curve going from the current to any of the others. Just my opinion.

i can't imagine the yoder any easier to lug around than the competitor.
:

It is due to the fact that it is on a comp cart which makes it a piece of cake to roll around. All 3 are very good smokers but vary greatly in capacity, fuel, and design.

How does the R&O hold pit temps across the cooking surface and how efficient are they on wood consumption?
My pit is 26x72 and im with in 5-7 degrees in the entire pit.....I generally use between 6-8 sticks of wod for a 8-9 hr comp.....Thanks for your interest...:biggrin1:

My pit is 26x72 and im with in 5-7 degrees in the entire pit.....I generally use between 6-8 sticks of wod for a 8-9 hr comp.....Thanks for your interest...:biggrin1:

I have seen this pit in action and this man speaks the truth, very very efficient and consistent temp for a stick burner imo.

I have seen this pit in action and this man speaks the truth, very very efficient and consistent temp for a stick burner imo.
Thank you so much Qtex, for your support...we appreciate it .....If we can help you please let us kmow...

Back