MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Talking Daddy's girl gets a mUDS

The argument shall come up continually, did I build it for her or for myself, truth is it's probably a mix of both. Either way, we're both happy.

My oldest has been wanting to help with the grills and smokers more recently. She asked if she could have a little grill of her own, my response was that we already had a little grill but we could use it some more if she wanted to help grill more. She was very excited about this and helped with the stuffed chicken thighs I did a while back. After that, I was using a UDS and she asked if there are smokers her size. I told her that we could build her a mini UDS some day. Would just need to find a small drum and some parts.
That was all she needed to hear. The next weekend she was helping her grandpa fix something and told him, "Dad's going to build me a smoker my size but says he needs a little drum and pieces. Do you have a little drum grandpa?" When I got home, that night, there were two small drums sitting outside of his shed, here he already had a couple of them. I picked out the cleaner of the 2.

All that was left was to find a lid and some grates, I figured I would have to really scrounge or buy the other parts. The next day we were at a giant rummage sale, yeah, you probably guessed it, there was a baby sunbeam type grill, the bottom was rusted out so, I talked the guy down to $0.50 for it. All that was left was a stop at the hardware store and some time to work on the little thing.
I decided that this would be a good oportunity to build my first no-weld UDS being as my welder (FIL) has been rather busy lately and mainly because I wanted to see if I could do it. So, I drilled out my vent holes first.

Then came the burn out process. This drum had Mobile Lubricant in it at some point so, it was required.

This lasted well into the night.

Then came time to put in the hardware and paint. I used 3/4" pipe this time around and locked it in place with conduit nuts. For the rack supports I used 2" long bolts with one that was left to slide out on the top shelf, so as to allow for a second shelf to be put in. Without this removable one, a second shelf insert would be nearly impossible. From there it was onto paint. Classic stove black base.

I'll have to post some internal pics when I get a chance to take them but, the charcoal rack consists of a charcoal grate for a small Weber with 4 4" long 3/8" carriage bolts holding it up off of a 9" pie pan and, to hold the charcoal I'm currently using an old coffee can that I cut the bottom off of and then burned thuroughly in a fire for 2 hours. This set up works pretty good but, I've actually found that I have to pick up and place each piece of hot coal inside with a pair of tongs due to a chimney dump being impossible but, it only takes about 4-6 pieces to get it going. I have yet to install a permanent thermometer and and right now am just dropping one down through the top vent. I got a little carried away with the paint being as this was a kind of camping project for me but, my daughter really likes it.

We seasoned her up with some scotch eggs and 2 fatties for breakfast followed up by some brawts wrapped in bacon for lunch and then some steaks for dinner.
My daughter is so proud to have her own smoker and tells everyone about it even though, she gets easily distracted and I end up doing most of the cooking on it thus far. I must say that I have been rather impressed with this little ones performance thus far and when I fired up one of my regular UDSs the other day, it fealt like I had the whole world to cook on after playing in miniature for the last couple of days.
Here she is with her older siblings. I think she is more than a welcome addition to "the family".

Thanks for looking.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Pretty cool.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Very cool- way to raise em.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Way to go
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Phubar

Nice work Butsz!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

That's awesome. I love it when the kids get psyched about something you love to do.

Way to go for Grandpa too! Really cool the way the drum just happened to be available.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Very nice. Some day her husband may thank you for teaching her how to cook
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That is awesome Congrats
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
deguerre

You done yourself proud Papi.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

Hoorayy for Lola!!!! Clap clap!! LOL...Looks awesome

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
scoper223
Got Wood.

Very cool
scoper223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

Way cool Fun when you can get the family involved, I like the cart you have your one drum on what is it made from?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

That's great Tom! Would love to see the food pron (sans eggs please, ack!).
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great!! My daughter loves her some bbq also!! Much father/daughter time spent cooking for the rest of the familiy!!

Enjoy!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
MUDS, uds