MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Sorry bud... Automatic DQ... Only one serving...
But then most boxes would be DQ'd since they put a mound of pork in the center. Not distinguishable portions just a mound and no DQ. Is that really any different?

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Sorry I was just so excited to hear that someone had actually followed the rule to the letter. I had always wondered if it was possible. I raised this question once and no one was able to say it was possible. Now, with this info, we know its at least feasible.
More evidence for the case, I see you doing your homework .
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsmokebbq View Post
More evidence for the case, I see you doing your homework .

Shhhh you'll blow my cover. I'm incognito.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not to hijack but....

Quote:
I hear ya, and I think most would not turn in something that bad. Some don't have a clue when it comes to cooking in general, let alone BBQ. Like this Paul guy, no self respecting "superstar" chef would turn in that crap, period. This guy is supposed to be some sort of grill master, yet he burner the heck out of that poor chicken. I know many chefs that can't BBQ a bit, but they can sure grill some GREAT chicken.
That was his problem... He's a Grill Master when what he needed was a Pit Master...

(OK, side note... When dip stick was about to start his drive he introduced his wife and friend who were there to 'help him'... Some help, they didn't know how to load up the cooker???)
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Not to hijack but....

That was his problem... He's a Grill Master when what he needed was a Pit Master...

(OK, side note... When dip stick was about to start his drive he introduced his wife and friend who were there to 'help him'... Some help, they didn't know how to load up the cooker???)
You aren't kidding, but any chef worth anything should be able to grill some chicken (I think he was direct cooking it).

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Divemaster

Quote:
But then most boxes would be DQ'd since they put a mound of pork in the center. Not distinguishable portions just a mound and no DQ. Is that really any different?
Quote:
Sorry Skip, I know it's you (and I'm going to tell Julie on you!!!)...

5) A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires
approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification:
All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for
unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples
of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for
sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign
object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not
receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.

Actually a 'pile' of pulled pork would be a DQ as well if it was all stuck together and gravity didn't allow it to pull apart.

Based on the CBJ class that I took, if two pieces of brisket are not sliced completly through they should be concidered as one and if there is not enough in the box for each judge to have some it's a DQ. The same holds true for ribs to the point where the BOD stated that there must be 'at least 6 disernable servings (cut ribs)'. Now if you take this forward to your single chunk of meat I feel it would be DQ'd based on the following:

1) While there may be enough meat you can not assume that it is cut and therefore only a single serving where with a pile of pulled pork you can see that there are more than 6 servings. Remember, the BOD did not define the size of a serving.

2) Once the first judge picked up his/her portion (remember no shaking now) there would not be anything left for the other judges...

Nice try 'Skippy', but it didn't work... Now I have to call Julie (and you are in SOOOOOO much trouble!!!!)

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Divemaster

Quote:
You aren't kidding, but any chef worth anything should be able to grill some chicken (I think he was direct cooking it).
While I agree that he should have got his head out of his butt, I disagree with the 'direct cooking' of the chicken... It looked like it had a terminal case of smoke... What makes it worse is that it was his cooker (remember Dave's got the flat) and he should have known better....

Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #24
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Three separate events this year...

A. 1/2 chicken - one piece,
B. brisket must have been cooked to medium rare
(tough as leather and did not pull apart at all)
C. 1/2 rack rib - one piece

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #25
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Sorry Skip, I know it's you (and I'm going to tell Julie on you!!!)...

5) A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires
approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification:
All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for
unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples
of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for
sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign
object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not
receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.

Actually a 'pile' of pulled pork would be a DQ as well if it was all stuck together and gravity didn't allow it to pull apart.

Based on the CBJ class that I took, if two pieces of brisket are not sliced completly through they should be concidered as one and if there is not enough in the box for each judge to have some it's a DQ. The same holds true for ribs to the point where the BOD stated that there must be 'at least 6 disernable servings (cut ribs)'. Now if you take this forward to your single chunk of meat I feel it would be DQ'd based on the following:

1) While there may be enough meat you can not assume that it is cut and therefore only a single serving where with a pile of pulled pork you can see that there are more than 6 servings. Remember, the BOD did not define the size of a serving.

2) Once the first judge picked up his/her portion (remember no shaking now) there would not be anything left for the other judges...

Nice try 'Skippy', but it didn't work... Now I have to call Julie (and you are in SOOOOOO much trouble!!!!)
I had always thought the same thing Jeff. I figured a pile of pork was in fact a single serving and would be considered a DQ but unless you can remove that whole pile of meat you can't consider it one piece. Just as a rib that is stuck falls back to the box as you pick it up would not be a DQ. Although very close.
So the mound of pulled pork is a viable entry. Heck they give you forks for people to pick up their portion. With that being said a whole butt or picnic skillfully placed in the box would never stay together in one piece as people tried to remove it. With all the muscle strands you could claim distinguishable portions and with a little crush you could break it enough internally that it would not be parted but would be able to be disassembled. As long as there was a hunk left when the last person chose it would be legal.
Now we already know that there is a lot of interpretation among reps from different regions. So it could be that those you are accustom to may not allow, or better stated would agree to a DQ if it was a single mound. Where as those I know would not.
Please note I have been wrong about the reps before. lol

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
While I agree that he should have got his head out of his butt, I disagree with the 'direct cooking' of the chicken... It looked like it had a terminal case of smoke... What makes it worse is that it was his cooker (remember Dave's got the flat) and he should have known better....
terminal is right... Got to give you judges out there credit for going through boxes like that.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #27
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Holy crap Skip are you arguing Pork rules again? I'm shocked
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #28
Divemaster

Skip,

I'm sure that this whole discussion would be considered a MAJOR hijacking of this thread. It was in good nature when we started it, but now I'm getting the feeling that it's gone to far.

I'll PM you with my feelings about your post or we can start another thread to complete our discussion.

I apologize to Lake Dogs for the disruption.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #29
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

If the pile of pork is pulled then it's legal as long as they don't sculpt it. If it is pulled and piled it should be a legal entry.

As far as entering those ribs. I suppose 1 point is better than 0.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #30
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Holy crap Skip are you arguing Pork rules again? I'm shocked
Nah not arguing just having fun with this. It was pretty funny to hear that someone had put a whole portion of a butt in a box. Very similar to the argument I raised about the pork rule

Quote:
Skip,

I'm sure that this whole discussion would be considered a MAJOR hijacking of this thread. It was in good nature when we started it, but now I'm getting the feeling that it's gone to far.

I'll PM you with my feelings about your post or we can start another thread to complete our discussion.

I apologize to Lake Dogs for the disruption.
Yeah didn't mean to hijack the thread at all. I'm sorry if you felt the good natured air about the conversation changed. I was still having fun and wasn't taking any of it too serious. I'd like to hear your response to it all. Either way would work. Its all good Jeff.

Sorry for the hijack Lake Dog. I didn't mean to steer your thread in the wrong direction.