MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #76
angryelfFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
link to a two-part Franklin how to cook a rib video. I watched both, pretty good info in it. Wonder how it matches up to the paid version.

http://bbqblvd.com/aaron-franklin-rib-recipe/
Here's a simple example of the more detail. I just clicked randomly on part 2. It was where he began spritzing the ribs. On youtube, he just says use whatever liquid and that he uses cider vinegar then he starts spritzing. In the Master Class, he talks about the bottle and where he adjusts it to. He also talks about the technique to spray it, where he sprays it and what he is looking for. Also how spraying it affects it. Maybe some other stuff but that is what I remember.
Shirley 24 x 42 Straight Back
angryelfFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #77
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Im totally getting talked into spending the money on this.....
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #78
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Me too.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #79
VanSteel
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Van

I watched it. I enjoyed the pulled pork video. The spare ribs video was interesting, but not really how I prefer my ribs personally.
I thought the information provided on trimming a brisket was very good. It's not very different than how I already trim, but it was a very good section. I really enjoyed how he described how a properly cooked brisket should feel in the hands when applying pressure over different sections of the point and flat. I've always gone "probe tender", but I think that cooking 100% by how it feels in your hands is very cool. The section on fire management is very good as well. I already felt that I was pretty good at it, but he describes in detail how he selects each split for specific stages of a cook (some will give more flavor so they are used in the early stages, some burn longer and when to use those, some combust faster and when to use those, etc...)
Then there's the slicing and serving section. It was put together very well, but nothing very earth shattering.
All in all, I think that it's very worth it.
VanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2019, 10:59 PM   #80
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I have a friend that is interested in splitting the class cost, and us both having access. Would that work? I didn't know how this setup is tied to IP's
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #81
VanSteel
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
I have a friend that is interested in splitting the class cost, and us both having access. Would that work? I didn't know how this setup is tied to IP's
I don't think they can tell. I have logins on my Android phone and 2 Apple TVs. Maybe only one can be logged in at a time, but I don't think there's a limit to the number of devices using an account.
VanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #82
cajunbaseball
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : David

The beauty of Master Class, is that for one price, you get access to all of the classes. I bought it originally for the Daniel Negraneu on poker. Then found the various cooking classes. Then they added Aaron Franklin. Now they added another poker class. Pay $180, you get access to all. Hell of a deal.
cajunbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #83
ndg4405
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Aaron Franklin is the man, but honestly I didn’t think the course was worth the $90. Each video was about 30 minutes long when it could have been shorter and less rambling on. Only 3 recipes (pork ribs, brisket, pork butt) are taught throughout the course. His brisket videos are amazing and very detailed, but that’s kind of about it in my opinion.

Also didn’t like that the course is taught on his big wood burner smoker. I’m sure competition guys have those but most people smoke on charcoal, pellet, or electric smokers so I don’t need over an hour of the content focusing on how to build a fire. My take on it was that the course would be perfect for restaurant owners but not a ton in there for regular people.

The course was entertaining but not worth $90 in my opinion. I purchased the Rick Browne Grill Master University course when that came out last year and I thought that course was way more detailed and we learned almost 20 different recipes by the end of it.

All comes down to what you’re willing to spend I guess and where you’re at personally. Just my 2 cents
ndg4405 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #84
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunbaseball View Post
The beauty of Master Class, is that for one price, you get access to all of the classes. I bought it originally for the Daniel Negraneu on poker. Then found the various cooking classes. Then they added Aaron Franklin. Now they added another poker class. Pay $180, you get access to all. Hell of a deal.
I am heading to Vegas in a few weeks to play Event #44 in the WSOP. Now I pretty much have to buy it. Franklin Brisket and Negraneu on poker, winner winner!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 08:59 PM   #85
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndg4405 View Post
Aaron Franklin is the man, but honestly I didn’t think the course was worth the $90. Each video was about 30 minutes long when it could have been shorter and less rambling on. Only 3 recipes (pork ribs, brisket, pork butt) are taught throughout the course. His brisket videos are amazing and very detailed, but that’s kind of about it in my opinion.

Also didn’t like that the course is taught on his big wood burner smoker. I’m sure competition guys have those but most people smoke on charcoal, pellet, or electric smokers so I don’t need over an hour of the content focusing on how to build a fire. My take on it was that the course would be perfect for restaurant owners but not a ton in there for regular people.

The course was entertaining but not worth $90 in my opinion. I purchased the Rick Browne Grill Master University course when that came out last year and I thought that course was way more detailed and we learned almost 20 different recipes by the end of it.

All comes down to what you’re willing to spend I guess and where you’re at personally. Just my 2 cents

You got nothing out of the video because you were looking for a magic bullet.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #86
Taylormade
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:

I understand and respect your take but disagree on almost all points. If each of the videos were shorter with "less rambling" as you say, people would lose their minds. "$90 for an hour and a half?!?!" Also, there are some nuggets in that rambling.

As for the recipes, the course is advertised as Aaron Franklin teaches you Central TX BBQ. Central TX BBQ is brisket. I'm happy he even chose to include pork. As for recipes, he's famously known for salt and pepper, although he does include a recipe for sauce and mixes it up on pork a bit.

The course was primarily taught on his patio OSB that only cooks two briskets at a time. The fire management class which, again, is Central TX BBQ, was taught on one of the 500/1000 gallon beasts but that's it if I recall correctly. The others were taught on a small guy. Regardless of what medium you're cooking on, fire's fire at the end of the day and there's some helpful tips in there that are applicable to everything but electric smokers. Also very few restaurant owners are cooking on stick burners.

I found the course to be a good value personally, I like that I can refer to it at any time I like and I enjoyed the backstories, fireside chats, etc. That said, I have some disposable income and I didn't fret over the $90. That's one thing we can agree on for sure! It absolutely comes down to what you're willing to spend and where you are personally. Cheers!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #87
Smoke5280
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

Totally disagree. I cook on a small LSG offset and found the videos very informative. I’ve spent $90 on far worse things.
Smoke5280 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #88
ndg4405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I understand and respect your take but disagree on almost all points. If each of the videos were shorter with "less rambling" as you say, people would lose their minds. "$90 for an hour and a half?!?!" Also, there are some nuggets in that rambling.

As for the recipes, the course is advertised as Aaron Franklin teaches you Central TX BBQ. Central TX BBQ is brisket. I'm happy he even chose to include pork. As for recipes, he's famously known for salt and pepper, although he does include a recipe for sauce and mixes it up on pork a bit.

The course was primarily taught on his patio OSB that only cooks two briskets at a time. The fire management class which, again, is Central TX BBQ, was taught on one of the 500/1000 gallon beasts but that's it if I recall correctly. The others were taught on a small guy. Regardless of what medium you're cooking on, fire's fire at the end of the day and there's some helpful tips in there that are applicable to everything but electric smokers. Also very few restaurant owners are cooking on stick burners.

I found the course to be a good value personally, I like that I can refer to it at any time I like and I enjoyed the backstories, fireside chats, etc. That said, I have some disposable income and I didn't fret over the $90. That's one thing we can agree on for sure! It absolutely comes down to what you're willing to spend and where you are personally. Cheers!

From a "marketing" standpoint i guess there is value in just having a longer total length of the videos because people feel like they got more for what they paid for so I see why they did that. But for me I think the videos could have been half the length and just as if not more effective. I see your point though

Good point on the Central Texas BBQ being about brisket and you're right they didn't advertise a whole bunch of recipes to be learned. I would say that's my fault for not reading the entire curriculum in as much depth but at the same time I definitely would have expected more recipes for the $90.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #89
ndg4405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
You got nothing out of the video because you were looking for a magic bullet.

Not looking for a magic bullet. I've paid for tons of courses and books over the years and fully understand that you get out what you put in and at the end of the day you need to practice to get better.

I thought the course was good, just not great

Old 06-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #90
grace

Name/Nickname : Anna

Quote:
Not looking for a magic bullet. I've paid for tons of courses and books over the years and fully understand that you get out what you put in and at the end of the day you need to practice to get better.

I thought the course was good, just not great
I'm curious. Can you tell me more about which courses and books you found really useful?
grace is offline   Reply With Quote