MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #2446
WildWillie55
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
This cooker is already the talk of the town.

If it is drawing that much attention I would make sure it is very secure, there is always someone who thinks that they need it more than you do. Doesn't matter that you are the one who paid for it. The cooker is a beauty and I would hate to see some varmint to think it would look better at his house, or that it would be a quick cash sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Agree with locking it down. I'd have it well marked / etched, have lots of pictures of it, and make sure your local PD gets fed from it so they keep an eye on it for you...

Also might be a good idea to have a SF sign on it. Might return some business back to Paul and Co.
I'm thinking GPS asset tracking. We use them on our "items" of value, and they're worth their weight in gold. But who knows, maybe it's already there? Those Shirley boys have already thought of everything else!!! Looks like a great smoker! Congrats!!
WildWillie55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #2447
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another +1 for the removable tongue as in ButtBurner s Shirley.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #2448
ejmiller
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsapper View Post
Church as said or look for a VFW or American Legion Post that has a kitchen.
Do school kitchens ever get rented out? There must be tens of thousands of them sitting empty on weekends.
ejmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #2449
landarc

Sadly, people do not steal pits for reselling or cooking, they steal them for scrap. There is no point in marking or otherwise making it more identifiable.

Put your money into making it as hard to steal as possible. My friends out here who cook on trailer rigs professionally either store them in a building, under lock and key, or store them in a manner, that makes it too hard to steal. A friend who cannot store his trailer in a building, has it chained through the frame, front and back, to concrete footings, buried in the ground, he has a removable tongue, and a wheel lock. All elements are painted orange, to make it clear, that you do not want to even try.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #2450
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Good tips on securing the mobile pit. I've got it locked up for now, but a few more permanent measures are in store for sure.

But I just wanted to chime in tonight to remind people who may be just hopping on this thread that people are the worst. Seriously. People can, and often are downright awful for no reason.

While today we sold out in pretty much record time, it seems like those who did come in were the biggest a-holes ever. People will lie. They will cheat. And boy, will they steal. And they will certainly complain about nothing. Oh, and you'll have parents with kids who are the worst parents in the world and let their kids destroy your property and not even give a damn.

All the while, you just have to smile, nod, and apologize. It's hard, but if you can get through a day of that, you'll probably be ok.

But trust me, you get to see some of the worst in people in this business. And if you're hot-headed, biting your tongue is one of the most difficult parts of the job.

Ok, rant over. It's been a long day and had to let that out. It just shocks me that I share a planet with some of these people.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #2451
landarc

One of the hardest days of work, my last day, at a restaurant that was closing, I had the final kitchen shift. In a very short time, I would be unemployed. A pan of sukiyaki came back, the person complained it was lukewarm, even though it was steaming.

It was all I could do, not to fill that pan with ice and take it out and explain I was sorry, it was no longer lukewarm.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #2452
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Good tips on securing the mobile pit. I've got it locked up for now, but a few more permanent measures are in store for sure.

But I just wanted to chime in tonight to remind people who may be just hopping on this thread that people are the worst. Seriously. People can, and often are downright awful for no reason.

While today we sold out in pretty much record time, it seems like those who did come in were the biggest a-holes ever. People will lie. They will cheat. And boy, will they steal. And they will certainly complain about nothing. Oh, and you'll have parents with kids who are the worst parents in the world and let their kids destroy your property and not even give a damn.

All the while, you just have to smile, nod, and apologize. It's hard, but if you can get through a day of that, you'll probably be ok.

But trust me, you get to see some of the worst in people in this business. And if you're hot-headed, biting your tongue is one of the most difficult parts of the job.

Ok, rant over. It's been a long day and had to let that out. It just shocks me that I share a planet with some of these people.

i probably shouldn't share this, but in my early 20's when i was working at a restaurant i was working the night shift. this couple comes in around 9pm with their bratty kid. the girls who work the front of the house had already wiped down all the tables and cleaned up and this kid just goes and sits down and takes the salt shaker and starts pouring it everywhere on the table. the mother tells him to stop but of course he doesn't. so they order a hot dog for the kid. i'm the one who has to cook it, and as i'm doing so i just pour salt all over the thing as it cooks, and i even put some on the bun too i think. the look on that kids face while he ate it was hilarious.
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #2453
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Dude, you have to share specific stories. Sounds like some good ones

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #2454
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Everyone should have to work in a service job for a few days or be a landlord to really see what people do and how they act--
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #2455
Hoppy
Full Fledged Farker

Everyone should work in the service arena and see what kind of crap that gets handed out.... Perhaps there would be less pain in the butts.

[B]If Ya Got'em Smoke'm![/B]

Yoder Custom Chisholm II
Weber Gold
Awesome Wife, Co-Cook and Best Friend
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #2456
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I would pull the wheels off it and keep it on blocks when you are not towing it

that will slow the theives down a little
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #2457
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:

I hate that. And then you think how these people are allowed to breed, vote for our leaders, etc etc.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #2458
DrofBBQ
Found some matches.

I have never posted before, but read your thread from start to date it truly is an Amazing Story, as so many have commented.After reading to the point that you were going through all the problems trying to get the doors open I was thinking most would have given up but then looked at the page count and knew you were going to at least get the doors open. You commented that you were a writer (in a past life) and I have to say I have no problem believing that, and would add a very good writer.

A couple of questions:

I bought a Southern Pride Model SPX-300 (trailer unit) about 3 months ago and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I also own a Klose Stick burner that I bought new in 2002, and have had several cookshack units . Because as you know so very well smokers are expensive and I'm a clean freak and power wash my SPX 300 every Sunday. Which brings to mind one of my many questions. When do you find the time to clean your pit???

Have you tried any Zep products for cleaning your pit? They make one called smokehouse and a stronger version called Super Doug. They are both amazing, the grease and smoke just runs off. Not sure if it would be against the rules here on the forum but if you'd like I can post my salesman's information ? One other question are you using the recommendations from SP on cooking your ribs...meat side down etc? I have a million questions but I know your busy, so I'll post some others in time.

Great job and congratulations.

[email protected]
WWW.PorkInjector.com
DrofBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #2459
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrofBBQ View Post
A couple of questions:

I bought a Southern Pride Model SPX-300 (trailer unit) about 3 months ago and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I also own a Klose Stick burner that I bought new in 2002, and have had several cookshack units . Because as you know so very well smokers are expensive and I'm a clean freak and power wash my SPX 300 every Sunday. Which brings to mind one of my many questions. When do you find the time to clean your pit???

Have you tried any Zep products for cleaning your pit? They make one called smokehouse and a stronger version called Super Doug. They are both amazing, the grease and smoke just runs off. Not sure if it would be against the rules here on the forum but if you'd like I can post my salesman's information ? One other question are you using the recommendations from SP on cooking your ribs...meat side down etc? I have a million questions but I know your busy, so I'll post some others in time.

Great job and congratulations.
Since I'm not open 7 days a week, finding time to clean the pit isn't much of an issue. Tuesday ends up being our deep clean day while waiting for the deliveries to come in. So, part of that involves pulling all of the racks out of the smoker and scrubbing them down so that they shine like new. The four cradles that hang the racks don't get quite the same treatment and we just use a putty knife to scrape as much of the gunk off as possible.

When it comes to the inside walls of the pit, that isn't a weekly chore, but probably once every few weeks. I tried powerwashing it once, and that was a mess. Especially with the doors opening up inside the kitchen. So right now I use a floor scraper. It's just a sharp flat metal blade on the end of a long pole. So that is easy enough for reaching and scraping all the grease and some of the buildup out.

Don't really use any cleaning solutions on the inside. Just crank the heat up and rinse everything down.

And I didn't know SP had tips for cooking ribs, but no, I don't do ribs meat side down. I'm not even sure what the point in that would be
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #2460
DrofBBQ
Found some matches.

Oh hell I forgot about your through the wall build. Sorry

This is from the Southern Pride website see number 5 :
1. Remove ashes or hot coals from the firebox and place appropriate
amount and type of wood in the firebox per the charts on page 38.

2. Set the thermostat at 240ºF and preheat the oven.

3. Use 1.75 lb. baby back ribs, and remove the membrane from the
concave side of the ribs.

4. Season lightly on both sides with Southern Pride Rib Seasoning.

Place ribs, with the concave (meat) side down, on the flat racks or stand them on edge with the thick side down on the optional rib racks.

6. Cook for approximately 2 hrs. and 15 mins.

7. To check for doneness, use a 2-prong meat fork, insert fork between
ribs closest to the thickest part, twist fork, ribs should separate easily.

8. Remove the ribs from the oven and place on a sheet pan - allow
to cool for 1/2 hr.

9. Individually wrap each rib with plastic wrap before refrigerating.

So what are you doing for time and temp with meat side up?
DrofBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->