BBQ Sauce Bottling & Sales - Need Advice on Starting Small

• Thread starter Weiss Mountain Smoke
  • Start date
W

Weiss Mountain Smoke

Hiya Folks,

We recently did our first "catering" gig and got some great feedback on our products, particularly our homemade sauces. We got several inquiries for buying some of our sauce by the gallon, and needless to say we're stoked!

We are going to fill these first few small orders by canning the sauce in mason jars and sealing with a pressure cooker. But, there was also some interest from the owner of the general store where we did our event to sell our sauces in his store.

So far we are working on designing a logo and labels, and hope to find a small-business local co-packer that can assist with the bottling. That's pretty much where our knowledge ends.

Can anyone tell me what else we would need to do in the way of licensing, insurance, etc. to get started doing this if only on a small scale? Or, can anyone who has been down this road before share any advice they may have? Any/all feedback most appreciated :smile:

Cheers,

BBQ smoker Plans for 55gal Drum

i know everybody is making thers diffrent but i have some plans on how to build one using just a few tools... i haven't try it but if someone will give it a crack and let me know if this design works out ok

Attachments

• BBQSmokerPlans.pdf
    429.4 KB · Views: 95
Hey a fellow Marylander. I do not have any experience in sauces, however I will be making some in the future. The first thing is starting your business is a great and wonderful thing. It is so much fun to see it blossom and have people tell you how wonderful it is. On the flip side the work that goes into it is 100% more then you can imagine. I would strong suggest to plan in every detail what you want to do, and think about the cost and money that you are willing to spend. Money goes out faster then it comes in. Research on the internet as much as you can. Before you do anything. I would be glad to talk to you in more detail. If you have the passion deep in your bones, then I would say good luck and enjoy the journey. This is a great site to get some great insite from people who are already in the business. Good luck
Todd
"The Dirt Man"
www.toddsdirt.com

Don't know why I remember this but the BBQ Pirates had all kinds of problems doing what your talking about, but I see they have it done. I'd email them.
www.bbqpirates.com

Can anyone tell me what else we would need to do in the way of licensing, insurance, etc. to get started doing this if only on a small scale? Or, can anyone who has been down this road before share any advice they may have? Any/all feedback most appreciated :smile:

Cheers,

You will need some type of commercial kitchen (if not already for the catering business) to manufacture and bottle the product in.

Your state will vary, but it is likely you will want to apply for some type of "Food Processing Plant" license. What you will want to do is call your local health department and ask questions. They will direct you to the appropriate people to talk to and get you the information that you need. Typically, they are friendly folks - don't be shy about asking questions or getting clarification, it's their job. The trickiest part about doing your own sauce is the bottling. Making sure that there aren't any 'bugs' in the product is your (and the health department's) biggest concern. Since you will be working with potentially hazardous ingredients, it is likely you will be required to attend a "serve safe" class, if you haven't already for the catering business.

Insurance-wise, it is as easy as calling your local agent and let them know what you intend to do. They may have to write up a separate policy, but if you have existing business insurance they may actually be able to add coverage for your sauce business to your current policy. Again, the insurance guy will know what you need. No worries.

Here is a link for additional info that you will find interesting:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.ph...&id=67:manufacturing&Itemid=77&layout=default

Good luck with your new venture. Let us all know how it is going!

Don't be afraid to send out some free samples! :p

Last edited:
Back