Smoking salt

Hawgsnheifers

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have been reading some Q books and some of the ingrediants call for Smoked Salt. I have seen it available at the stoer but they want a bunch for it. In my rubs I use Kosher salt as it's big and flacky and helps hod onto the other stuff on the meat. Anybody out there done any salt smoking and what is the best way to do it?

Also, any other spices been smokes? Like taking whole black pepper and smoking it before you grind it up?

Take a foil pan lid ,or something else that has low sides and will support the salt. Smoke the salt for 1-2 hours. Keep in a glass jar. Woody

No big deal. Like Woody said, smoke your own. I like to smoke my salt with Hickory.

I'm gonna have the Dera stoked up next weekend so I'll put some in.

Thanks Gents.

When would you use smoked salt? In a brine?

Bigmista said:
When would you use smoked salt? In a brine?

No, it is useful anywhere you would see "liquid smoke" called for! Use it in sauce . I used it in Gumbo last week!

I made some using mesquite a few weeks back after grilling steaks over wood chunks I through a cookie sheet full of sea salt inside. Salt is gray but tasty. I like to use it on Steaks or other foods that are not getting smoked. Seems to me like using smoked salt on smoked foods could be potentially disastrous.

I made some and there's nothing easier. I used a cheap aluminum pie plate, put about 1/4 of salt in it, and smoked it while I was cooking meat.
I believe I stirred the crystals once during the hour or so they were in there.
I put it on the top rack of course. ;)

It's sounds so easy but the farkers at the store get like $18 bucks for about the size of a half pudding cup. I guess I should go into the smoke salt business...

I saw a guy smoking salt on TV just the other week. I think it was Dirty Jobs (I love that show). The product was made in Maine and I think Maine Sea Salt is the name. He used a Charbroiler type smoker (barrell type) and he said he smoked it for 24 hours.

Hmmm. Maybe that's why the chit is so expensive? Sea Salt. Probably that French chit. I like Kosher myself.

How do they get it to stay in the little papers?

You know what is really sad? I forgot about posting on this thread and was thinking the same smart ass comment. Imagine my surprise when I saw I posted on this a year ago.

jgh1204 said:
You know what is really sad? I forgot about posting on this thread and was thinking the same smart ass comment. Imagine my surprise when I saw I posted on this a year ago.

No, what is sad is that it took me a good 10 seconds to even GET the smart ass comment.

I saw that same Dirty Jobs a while ago and then saw kosher salt on sale the next time I went shopping so I naturally smoked up a batch while I had the pit fired up.
I gave out samples to all my friends to see what they thought. I think its kinda tasty but I dont know that I am sold on the whole idea. I mean how much difference can it really make?

I put a bunch of margarita salt (Mr. T's if it makes any difference to anyone) on some parchment paper and smoked it at the far end of the smoking chamber. I forget how long I left it in there, but when I pulled it out, it definitely had an uneven light brown color. It's pretty tasty - but not really all that smoky.

What would probably work better would be to create a salt slurry of some kind and spread it thinly over your cooking surface (paper, pie pans and so forth as above). It would take a lot longer to evaporate, but I'm sure it would absorb a LOT more of the smoke flavor. Perhaps some corn liquor would help it evaporate faster . . .

Just some thoughts for you . . .

/Brother Dave

If I remember correctly, on the TV show on the maine smoked salt. The main reason it was smoked for so long was to dry it out more so it wouldnt clump up. Maybe if it was slightly damp when you started and smoked it longer it might taste/work out better

Back