15 gallon mini UDS build question

Bob13

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinal
Hoping some of you who have built a 15 gallon mini can help me out with a couple of questions. I've searched and searched here, but haven't found answers pertaining to a 15 gallon drum.

What size holes should I drill for the air intake? From what I've been reading here, sounds like for a 55 gallon UDS, most folks drill either 3/4" or 1" holes. Since my drum is only a 15 gallon (27" high), should I go smaller than that (1/2")? Will it even make that much of a difference?

Next question... how far up from the bottom of the drum should the holes be?

Any help is appreciated.

I went with 3/4" nipples on mine just so my ique 110 adapter would be the same, but 1/2" will work fine. I put them 2" up from the bottom. Hope this helps.

I put in three 3/4 " dia. holes in my drum about 2" up from the bottom rim. I fabricated 3 sliding brackets and mounted the legs from an old Brinkman smoker to the drum.see att.pic. The Weber SJ lid fits perfectly on my drum. But i mostly use a Charbroil lit that is a little taller than the Weber lid.

Attachments

• P8050172.JPG
    P8050172.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 177
Thanks, fr8erfxr and woodbutcher1. Definitely appreciate the input. woodbutcher1, I like the idea to use the ECB legs and handles. I've got an old Meco that I've already used some parts for a different project... held onto the legs and handles figuring I'd need them somewhere down the road. Looks like I've found a use for them! I like your sliding brackets, too... will need to figure out an easy way to fabricate them. Thanks!

Sheet magnet works good to cover the holes, or ones that business give out for advertising that are about the size of business cards.

Back