Landing a sponsor

sincitydisciple01

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are a small team of 2-3 cooks and are gearing up for at least 8 events in 2012. We have been kicking around the idea of trying to land a sponsor to help take the sting out of the costs associated with competing. Admittedly, we haven't taken home any Grand Champion ribbons, but we manage to get a few calls here and there.

We cook on a few drums, and we always get a lot of folks that stop to look at them and ask questions, so foot traffic isn't a problem. I've approached a few businesses to see if they would be interested in participating as a sponsor in events in their respective parts of town. The first question is always "what do you want from us?". Hate to admit it, but I've yet to come up with a good answer! Obviously, we want some type of compensation for hanging a banner in our cooksite. But where do we start? Do we ask for X amount of money to put towards entry or meat costs? Do we offer to hang a banner in exchange for a discount on whatever they may sell (assuming it's of value to us as a team)?

We certainly aren't delusional enough to insist on a boatload of money at the beginning of the year to cover all expenses. But I think if we had a good idea on what's a fair trade, that might gives us a better perspective on what we have to offer. Does anyone have any tips on what we should be asking for in exchange?

thanks!

Somewhere in the archives will be some great advice. Several of us have given very sound advice. Mainly it's a give to get Idea. Never assume you will be handed anything for free. When I search for sponsors, I want a win - win deal where all sides gain, by exposure for them and any help we can do for them in order for them to help us. Many creative avenues can be used. Now that times are tight it will take exceptional efforts to get anything good. That's the times we are in. Good luck. Steve.

We are a small team of 2-3 cooks and are gearing up for at least 8 events in 2012. We have been kicking around the idea of trying to land a sponsor to help take the sting out of the costs associated with competing. Admittedly, we haven't taken home any Grand Champion ribbons, but we manage to get a few calls here and there.

We cook on a few drums, and we always get a lot of folks that stop to look at them and ask questions, so foot traffic isn't a problem. I've approached a few businesses to see if they would be interested in participating as a sponsor in events in their respective parts of town. The first question is always "what do you want from us?". Hate to admit it, but I've yet to come up with a good answer! Obviously, we want some type of compensation for hanging a banner in our cooksite. But where do we start? Do we ask for X amount of money to put towards entry or meat costs? Do we offer to hang a banner in exchange for a discount on whatever they may sell (assuming it's of value to us as a team)?

We certainly aren't delusional enough to insist on a boatload of money at the beginning of the year to cover all expenses. But I think if we had a good idea on what's a fair trade, that might gives us a better perspective on what we have to offer. Does anyone have any tips on what we should be asking for in exchange?

thanks!

you might get more answers in the Competition Forum

Here's what I did, I asked for $100.00 for that I would hang their banner and I also would cook for them at a company picnic or at a customer appreciation day at their place of business. I also asked people I did business with and who knew me.It worked for me got 4 sponsors on board did 3 contest they were happy and with that money was able to pay entry fee
and buy some meat to cook at the contest.

Back