MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Ultra-high Heat Brisket ala Texas Old School?

Rereading "Legends of Texas Barbecue" I am struck by a couple of passages where we are told that some of the best Texas BBQ is smoked at 600 degrees.
Robb Walsh then goes on to say that Kreuz's pits in Lockhart have been measured at that temperature. The implication is that such high temperatures are not practical for home/backyard smokers.

Does anyone know how they cook such exceptional barbecue at such a high temperature? It sure does challenge the present day conventional wisdom of low and slow.

It seems to me that the Ceramic Smokers come very close to producing the same cooking environment as the big brick smokers that Krutz uses. I have the urge to give it a try and wonder if anyone has explored this or tried it?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Norcoredneck

Hope your at the store now buying a brisket and batteries for the camera!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I'm pit rich and brisket poor right now.

Might be able to afford a chuckie. Bought rechargeable batteries before I started buying smokers -- so, got batteries at least.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Norcoredneck

Have you seen Kick Ass bbq website on high temp cooking?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Yes I have seen it. I like his site and attitude - but haven't tried to do it yet.

What I am considering here is a much higher temperature so there might be different issues and methods -- but perhaps not?

Old 05-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
bigmo
On the road to being a farker

Talking my quick cook brisket

About two weeks ago I tried a quick cook brisket using Kickass's directions (here).

7 pound brisket, 350 to 425 (avg 375) cooker temp on my gECB (half cowboy lump/half royal oak briquets, 3 hickory chunks, minion method, empty water pan, refuel x1). She hit 195 internal quick--3 hours. I could not believe she cooked that quick so I let the fire die down, added water to the pan for cooker temps of 200-220 and kept her on for 2 more hours to an internal temp of 208.

I sliced half and shredded half. She turned out dry but still tasty. Next time I'll trust the thermometer. I will definitly try this again.

I have not posted any pics because I felt it was not worthy but since the subject has been brought up here she is...

[Edit- I know that HeSmellsLikeSmoke was asking about "Ultra-High Heat Brisket" but at least I got pics ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4812 (Large).jpg (61.5 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4814 (Large).jpg (101.2 KB, 1086 views)

a plain old kettle

Last edited by bigmo; 05-18-2008 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: ...
bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thanks for posting this BigMo.

Did you cook it in an pan as he does? Did you think it tasted smoked enough? I have wondered if high temperatures would quickly sear the outside and stop the smoke from penetrating?

Many of the old Texas joints just use salt and pepper for rub -- which should not burn as much as a rub with sugar in it. What rub did you use?

I will be very interested in your next high temp cook when you trust that thermometer.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I trimmed down a packer to a 8" wide brisket flat this week. I marinaded it in Moore's marinade overnight then rubbed it with Spicewine's heffer dust. I put it in the UDS at 350* for 2 hours. It hit 165 in 2 hours. I put it in a pan with some liquid (about a cup) and kept the heat up until it hit 200* internal which took about another 1.5 hours. I pulled it and put it in the cooler for about an hour and a half. Sliced it on the slicer and it was like Butta Nice smoke flavor, good bark.

However, no pics, so it didn't happen

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

I started reading "Legends of Texas BBQ" yesterday, and am almost through with it. Really a great read!
I fast cooked a couple of butts last spring, because I really didn't have time to go low and slow. It came out good, but not good enough for me to cook it that way if I had the time to do it slow. Brian
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
bigmo
On the road to being a farker

HeSmellsLikeSmoke,
No pan but I did foil at 160.
No smoke ring worth talkin about but great bark.
Smoke flavor was light but noticeable.
My rub was 1 measure salt - 1 measure pepper - half measure chili powder - 2 tablespoons sugar,
all over a slather of half frenchs yellow mustard and cattlemans original.
I'll say again - She turned out dry but still tasty. Next time I'll trust the thermometer. I will definitly try this again.
Thanks

a plain old kettle

bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

I believe Texas BBQ places like Kreuz and Cooper's use the pit bbq method, somewhat like a UDS. Or to be more accurate, a UDS is more like real pit bbq.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

The ones shown in the book look like waist high brick pits with a full, counter weighted steel lid. But it does look to be raised direct like the UDS concept.

I seem to remember the ones at Cooper's looking similar.

The brick must give a lot of radiation like the ceramic ones, which is what got me to thinking.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #13
Joe Bryant
Knows what a fatty is.

I did a tour a few years back and hit Kruez Market before they moved. I asked the guy cooking about taking 10+ hours to cook brisket and he just smiled. Said they cook them much faster and it was hard to argue with the results.

J
Joe Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bryant View Post
I did a tour a few years back and hit Kruez Market before they moved. I asked the guy cooking about taking 10+ hours to cook brisket and he just smiled. Said they cook them much faster and it was hard to argue with the results.
Yeah - I just got off the phone with my brother. He's cooking a brisket on the 22.5" weber grill indirect. He said 'I'm having some trouble telling when it's done since it's cooking a little faster on the weber'.

I told him that as long as it makes it to 190F internal that it would be good.

I think with brisket, it's one of those TxS=D formulas. The values are inter-related but you can adjust any one of the three parameters and wind up at the same place. Time X Speed = Distance OR Volts / Ohms = Amps

Then you can think that Distance / Speed = Time OR Amps X Volts = Ohms

Wait - I think it's called Ohms Law.

So - Time X Temp = 190F (Done)

Bottom line is, no matter what you do, even Turbo brisket, as long as you achieve 190F internal, you're good.

Hope this helps. My brothers - please let me know if I'm way off base on this. (or if I'm sounding like bro. billy)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

I seen a special where someone did a whole strip loin like that but never a brisket.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote