MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
JasonF
Got Wood.

Default Woe is me....

Hey fellas! It's been a few months since I've been around because my PC went down and I was too busy with work to fix it (a good problem I guess).

Anyways, so here's my short recent misadventure:

My vegetarian mother-in-law is having Thanksgiving Dinner for us all, but asks me to do the bird. No problem, I'll smoke it (my father-in-law loves Q).

I put the bird in my ECB at 12 midnight, cooking overnight so that it would be ready in the morning when I could wrap and dash it over to the in-laws for lunch.

Everything was going smoothly till a nice cold wave came through an hour before sunrise and the meat temp stopped rising, held steady for a while, then started dropping- uh oh!

So I started adding fuel and got everything headed back in the right direction. I decided to stop Mr. Murphy's cold wind by putting a large cardboard box around my ECB to block the wind- no problems and I was back in business for the next 3 hours or so.

I put on the last helping of charcoal to finish the bird and go inside- well, something must have happened in terms of wind getting in to my charcoal pan and reigniting some old wood chunks from earlier in the night or some such business becaues with 90 seconds the charcoal pan was fully engulfed in flames! Egads! Well, you can see where this is going- if the pan is fully enflamed, and there is a cardboard box surrounding the ECB because of WIND, well, put 2 and 2 together and yes, the box caught fire and blew in to pieces across my yard- burning up some grass (nothing serious, and I had the hose out and ready just in case anyways, so I quickly handled it).... but my ECB, wow. I burned the paint off half of it so it's down to bare metal. The bird got a bit crispy/charred on the skin from the little fire episode, but the meat was still fantastic so thankfully all was not ruined!

But also lost in the fire/flareup was one NuTemp probe and remote (yes, the remote melted- it was sitting on the handle on the side of the ECB, but the flames/heat running out the side of the bottom must have gotten to it somehow, DOH!).

Anyways, I'd been wanting to move to a Bandera becaues I found the ECB frustrating in terms of how you had limited access to the meat on the lower rack, tough access to the water pan and charcoal pan- I just found it frustrating. But I'd never been able to convince my wife-mod that needed a 2nd smoker as much as even she likes Q- but, the untimely demise of my ECB has opened a window for me to acquire a Bandera....

BUT IT'S JANUARY!! ARGH! Nobody has 'em. My WallyWorld had one sit on their top shelf all year till late fall before someone picked it up- but now, none. My local HD usually has them - but not in the off season!!!

Help me brothers, I need some Q and I want to acquire a Bandera but I'm not sure where else to look or even to hope to find one for the next few months till spring rolls around..... WOE IS ME!

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks a million!!
JasonF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
JacksonsDad
On the road to being a farker

You have an Academy Sports anywhere? They had the best prices...

Sorry for the demise of your old smoker. *sniff* I am sure it wil be missed. *sniff*
JacksonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
JasonF
Got Wood.

Stacey-

wow.... $198, very nice! The problem is the phone nobody will answer the phone number listed on their website as customer service!! I'm wondering if they'd ship it to me.... If not, my brothers in-laws live in Plano, maybe they could ship it to me.... hmmmm....

WOW, the good news continues! They have stores in Birmingham- not too far away, but my father-in-law is there for a day or two every other week on business! He can pick it up for me and bring it back after his next trip! SWEET!

Thanks Stacey!! Mucho gracias!!

Old 01-11-2005, 03:25 AM   #4
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

It's a beautiful thing when one brother comes to the aid of another.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Jason,

I saw a Charbroil 'dera in Home Depot Saturday, here in OKC. I can't imagine Atlanta would be shut down for the winter already if we aren't.

Good luck!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
JasonF
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Jason,

I saw a Charbroil 'dera in Home Depot Saturday, here in OKC. I can't imagine Atlanta would be shut down for the winter already if we aren't.

Good luck!
Well, there is 1 on display at my local HD. The display model that's been there for about a year or so, the one that is missing a few parts, looks like it's fallen over on it's side, etc....

And they won't move on the price.... so it's not even worth considering buying that hunk. But I think I've got the problem solved. My father-in-law is headed to Birmingham by the end of the month, and I've got one on hold at an Academy Sports there for me. Sweet!!!!

Old 01-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Jason,

Good luck!
Well, there is 1 on display at my local HD. The display model that's been there for about a year or so, the one that is missing a few parts, looks like it's fallen over on it's side, etc....

And they won't move on the price.... so it's not even worth considering buying that hunk. But I think I've got the problem solved. My father-in-law is headed to Birmingham by the end of the month, and I've got one on hold at an Academy Sports there for me. Sweet!!!!
Yep, HD would rather throw'em away than sellat their cost...they get a bigger tax write off.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote