Thanksgiving Side Dishes

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What's your favorite side dish on Thanksgiving? Does your family make anything unusual that you think merits sharing?

I like jalapeno cornbread stuffing but I loathe cranberry sauce.

Eric

Wow, Norco, that looks great! gonna try a batch this weekend.

rice, green beans, mashed potatoes and cranberries................plus one bird on the smoker

If you like Cranberry on your Turkey or Ham. This is something my mom always made.

Cranberry Horseradish Sauce

2 c. Raw Cranberries
1 sm Onion

1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. sour cream
2 T. your favorite Horseradish. ( the hotter the better )

Grind onion and cranberries in a blender really well then add sugar, sour cream and horseradish.

Dan

Too many to pick one. Some of my true favorites were ones that are not always served at each Thanksgiving, but were one-shot type deals. This is because we change up where Thanksgiving is each year (lots of family).

For the regular stuff at the general T-day table, I'm always getting extra large helpings of the stuffing, green bean casserole, and if the yams were done right then a good pile of those as well.

For the stuff that stood out in the past but were one-time sorta deals, there was a spicy sausage cornbread stuffing, a super awesome cranberry sauce made once that was probably the biggest hit (most people in my family don't usually like cranberry sauce), and an au-gratin sort of potato dish with a bunch of little add-ins in it that I wanted to practically make my whole meal out of.

My Grandmother always made a side of Oyster Dressing and I have made it for most Thanksgivings since I can remember. This year we have a guest coming that is highly allergic to shellfish so I don't think I'll do it for that day.

1 loaf bread, broken up and dried
1 c. each celery, onion cooked
1 tbls. sage
1tbls. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2- 8 oz. cans oysters (not drained)
4 c. chicken stock
3 eggs, beaten
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, put mixture in greased 9x14x2 ovenproof dish.
Bake @ 375* for 35 min.

Think I'll do a pan in the drum sometime this week just to get my oyster dressing fix:-D

I recently made an andouille sausage stuffing and it was killer. It will be a staple. I think I am only one who doesn't like pumpkin, sweet potatoes or cranberries so my plate is usually turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and green been casserole plus any creative side dishes. My wife makes a corn dish with cheez-it and a pack of cheese which is good.

I am waiting for the midnight (Ok 10pm) Toasted turkey, Dressing, mashed tatoe and cranberry, Sammich.

For the stuff that stood out in the past but were one-time sorta deals, there was a spicy sausage cornbread stuffing, a super awesome cranberry sauce made once that was probably the biggest hit (most people in my family don't usually like cranberry sauce), and an au-gratin sort of potato dish with a bunch of little add-ins in it that I wanted to practically make my whole meal out of.

ALL of those sound really good.:thumb: Wonder where I can find the recipes?

Something that I miss greatly from Family Thanksgivings Past is the Traditional Persimmon Pudding my Grannie and her Sisters would make.....
It was quite the Treat......And I wish I had the Recipe......

I'm a traditionalist. On Thanksgiving, I'm not looking for anything fancy or wild. I want turkey and my Grandma's super salty, super moist, giblet stuffing. If I've stepped on the scale recently, I might put a few veggies on the plate, but typically it is just turkey, stuffing and a second helping of each. :-D

Oh and pumpkin pie. Two (three?) helpings of that too. :-D

I will echo Gary- oyster dressing was a family tradition at Thanksgiving.
All I have to do is think about it and my mouth waters and I can taste that
wonderful flavor again.

ALL of those sound really good.:thumb: Wonder where I can find the recipes?
I remember asking about the spicy sausage cornbread stuffing and they told me it was easy just add this and that...but I forgot the recipe before I eve tried making it myself (I think we were all drinking that year). I didn't get recipes for the other two, but wish I did. Both of those I am not quite sure where to begin to duplicate it myself.

My wife makes a ridiculous casserole with grits, collards, bacon, and tons of butter, parmesan, and cream. Certainly not healty at all, but it is the one thing I look forward to most every year.

I always make an english pea casserole which I think is much more flavorful than the traditional green bean one. I also make a yummy squash casserole - both are super-cheesy.

... Both of those I am not quite sure where to begin to duplicate it myself.
Man, that sucks... Thanks for trying.

If it ever comes back, don't let them out of the house without the recipe, or just ply them with liquor until they talk.

I'm getting really hungry reading this thread. And I really hope to see an English Pea Casserole recipe too!:thumb:

Back