Hickory Wood Chunks

You could include a Fatty (Or 4) on that list also... I have done some pretty good Sockeye Salmon with Hickory also, usually use Alder for friends, but like the Hickory myself.... It's my personal all around favorite.... Best smelling wood on your clothes also, according to a national survey of Housewives.....

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1431391 said:
Just got my first bag, what should I smoke with it? :doh:

I remember when I got my first bag. Got the giggles and the munchies REAL BAD. That's how I got in to BBQ. :becky::becky::becky:

as said, everything goes good with hickory. i dont know it makes a difference or not, but when i am filling my coal basket i blend lump, briquets and small chunks of hickory. i usually throw some apple on top of the starter coals when i put the meat on, but after that all it gets is little blasts of hickory as the fire burns to it.

Are there any trees?

I used to live around where Midnight is at. The only trees are Mesquite, Palo Verde, an occasional cottonwood, and Josha trees which are not trees but related to Yuccas.

Having hickory down there to cook with is great.

To the OP's question get some mesquite burning hot add the hickory and smoke one of the wild pigs (picary) that live in the brush down your way.

Hickory grows like weeds in my neck of the woods. I grew up eating hickory smoked foods and it's what I use most of the time. As others have written, use it for anything. Good stuff.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1431398 said:
So... pretty much anything. :thumb: We do not have any Hickory trees here so it was a find for me to pick some up.
Terry, Berry Bros. say it's similar to Pecan. I used to buy chunks of Hickory at HD, now I use Pecan for everything.

Hickory is screaming for some pork.
Sure, it goes great with everything. But throw some at a butt. You'll be a happy farker.

Brisket if you can... Lowes sells bags of Hickory as well. I like to keep a few bags under the Gas Grill and close to the smoke house.

Back