Kalbi - Korean BBQ'd Beef Short Ribs

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
6cbbq03j
Hot summer day here in Georgia, and didn't want to spend a long time over the grill or smoker, so I decided to make some quick grill Kalbi.

First got some Korean BBQ Sauce from the local Asian superstore.
bbq05.jpg

and some Thai basil, Red Pepper,
bbq07.jpg

bbq08.jpg

and some beef short ribs already thin sliced for Kalibi.
Marinated beef ribs in sauce over night (an hour or 2 is sufficient, but I like 24)

bbq06.jpg

Put lump in the Weber and got her up to 1 zillion degrees.

Put marinated short ribs and sliced peppers on grill. I basted peppers with sauce as well
bbq10.jpg

Just off the grill
bbq11.jpg

Plated with a Thai Basil, Garlic, Red pepper salsa and white long grain rice.

bbq20.jpg

Awesome looking grub man, now, it would have gotten extra points if it was done up in the AK, :heh:

Gorgeous! Where'd you get the thermo that registers that high?:becky:

What's the difference between kalbi and bulgogi. I've never heard of kalbi.

What's the difference between kalbi and bulgogi. I've never heard of kalbi.

Bulgogi is typically boneless beef cut from strip streak and Kalbi (also spelled Galbi) is thinly sliced or butterflies short rib. Same basic marinade

Good stuff Sir Pork. Galbi is in reference to beef ribs and is actually shortened from the term for grilled beef ribs (and no, I do not know the term). Bulgogi refers to thin sliced meats in general, though beef is the usual meat. Both refer to grilled marinated meats with a primarily sweet/salty profile. To create the balanced sweet/sour/salty/sweet profiles, thinks such as pickles, kim chi and other small sides and garnishes are added.

simulpost, but, I typed all that and it stays.

Last edited:
I had a Korean roommate in college who made these. To this day they remain my favorite BBQ dish. Thanks for sharing!!

Bulgogi is typically boneless beef cut from strip streak and Kalbi (also spelled Galbi) is thinly sliced or butterflies short rib. Same basic marinade

Good stuff Sir Pork. Galbi is in reference to beef ribs and is actually shortened from the term for grilled beef ribs (and no, I do not know the term). Bulgogi refers to thin sliced meats in general, though beef is the usual meat. Both refer to grilled marinated meats with a primarily sweet/salty profile. To create the balanced sweet/sour/salty/sweet profiles, thinks such as pickles, kim chi and other small sides and garnishes are added. simulpost, but, I typed all that and it stays.

DSC00322a.jpg

I need to try it thinner, I love the flavor....​

I actually prefer the butterflied versions, though all I have made are the flanken style. If you can get it sliced to the width of corrugated cardboard, you are probably in the right thickness.

Back