Cleaning grill grates?

D

Derek

How many of yolu clean your grates? Or do you leave them for added seasoning and flavor?

I clean them at the start of each cook. Some clean them at the end of each cook. YMMV. I clean them to avoid sticking, primarily, and to remove any new life forms. :)

I leave them for grillmarks.
I only brush the (hot) grate before a cook to get the big chunks loose.

IMG_0002-36.jpg

Last edited:
I brush the grates on all my grills with a steel wire brush after each use, lightly, enough to knock off and chunks, and that is it.

Ok thanks guys, One I don't have to brush off. and it is ok to spray pam on the great so I don't get my rib eyes to stick?

I hit them with the weed burner. 5 minutes and everything is burned off. Plus its a good excuse to play with the weed burner :)

My Klose I clean the grates at the start of every season. My Webers & UDS I never clean.

With my cast iron grates, I give them a light scrape with a wire brush when starting the fire and a second scraping about 5 minutes in once it's warmed up. I never do it at the end of a cook because it might facilitate rusting. It's not "gunk" it is "seasoning" ;)

With my stainless grates, I just scrape them whenever needed, before a cook, after a cook, whatever.

Funny, I clean the grates in my Bandera smoker but never the ones on my Weber grills. The grills get hot enought where I can clean by scraping before each cook. But the smoker grates get massive buildup of gunk that needs to be cleaned off.

Thank you guys, I brushed off the great with a wire brushg before I put the rib eye roast in!

Thanks again!

I should clean mine but I found foil covers at HD that fit my Dera grids almost. Just have to cut a little off and they cover most of the area I need. A buck each? Yeah, but I hate to clean things and this works.

I have never been able to pretreat my grates to the point that a butt wouldn't stick. I am always left with a big fat pork butt footprint. Since I don't use my gas grill for anything anyway, I use it to burn off the fat from the uds grates. Then I scrape them down.

i don't clean mine, i like to give the judges a little extra something to chew on:puke:

I heat up the grill grates before I cook and than I just wipe them down with a ball of Aluminum foil done deal.

I leave em alone after cooking. I do brush them after preheating if they are particularly grungy or if I did teriyaki as I do not want that flavor on all my cooking.

I keep an old piece of plywood for this job. I lay the plywood in the driveway, put one of the cooking racks on it, and pressure wash it. In about 30 seconds it knocks off all the crusty stuff and leaves you with racks which still have enough oily residue to not rust, but not enough so it will go rancid and stink.

I use a very very cheap electric pressure washer. In fact, I paid $20 for it (used) on CL. I only use it for this task. Really, it works great.

Before I got this, I cut the bottom 5" off a 55 gallon drum to make a round pan. I used to put that pan on my turkey fryer burner full of water, with a few tablespoons of dishwashing detergent, and put in all my grills at once and bring the liquid to a boil. Then I'd rinse the
grates with a stiff spray from a hose and stand them up in the sunshine to dry. That
effectively degreases them and sanitizes them, but it leaves you with a godawful nasty
soup, plus you have to reseason afterwards. Worked OK, though.

seattlepitboss

Back