Food Dectectivs on Food Network; Liquid Smoke challenge

DaveT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone see the show on earlier? They did a challenge. One rack of ribs sprayed with liquid smoke and cooked in the oven. The other smoked. Three tasters had to pick which one was real BBQ. Not sure how the real BBQ was cooked they did mention a smoker I think. What do you think the results were? It is showing again at 11:00 central time. I will give the results later in case someone wants to watch it.

yup just saw it...I'll hold my comments until some else says it's ok...lol

they cooked the ribs at Southern Hospitality Ray's place

Hoo-boy. Having done this kind of comparison myself, I know first hand the real deal is much better. Hard to trust Food Network to know how to do real BBQ though.

Well, were the tasters people who think "real" BBQ is boiled, sprayed with liquid smoke and then finished under a salamander? Because unless they've had the real thing, I would think they would go with what tastes familiar..... i.e., a McRib.

I'll have to stay up and watch this episode. Being a chef, I've seen lots of interesting ways to make ribs without the use of a smoker or barbecue.

The smoked ribs used in this episode are made at the Southern Hospitality...Dr. BBQ's place. They sprayed the other rack with liquid smoke and now I will say no more:biggrin:

Thanks alot - now I'm gonna have to stay up and watch! Surely the Doc wins!

Hi guys,
I wasn't there but I was in the loop. They wanted to use a sauce that had no liquid smoke in it on our regular smoked ribs and add some liquid smoke to the sauce that was going to be used on some baked ribs. I told them that we didn't really use sauce on our ribs in the smoker and that the sauce would overpower any smoke taste anyway so I suggested the spraying process and they agreed. I heard the experiment went well but we don't know how the judging turned out. Somebody pm me with the results if you would.

Best,

Ray

Shoot, I can't stay up that late, gotta go to the dentist early tomorrow morning. Surely, real smoke wins, right?

They did Memphis style ribs.. grilled and placed in a smoker..
three guys...
First guy picked liquid smoke
Second guy picked the liquid smoke
Third guy (Probably a Brethren) picked the real deal...

We have a restaurant called Bi Al's in Sarasota, Florida that make their pulled pork and ribs that way, you can taste the liquid smoke in it. I asked the manager what type of smoker they had and he told me they oven baked everything with a "special" sauce. I always look out back first, no wood pile, no Bar B Q!!!!!

I saw the episode too. Three taste testers of course does not prove anything. Food Network made it sound like the liquid smoke was the way to go. :roll::sad:

Actually both of them were real bbq, but each done in a different way. One slow cooked using real wood and the other they took a shortcut that seemed to work for them. Unfortunately, that is the way the ball bounces sometimes. I would bet that there are a lot of folks that have eaten pulled pork without realizing it was prepared in the oven at a restaurant. It is a very common practice. Now I would imagine that when you go to a smokehouse that isn't the case, but like aquablue said, always check for the smoker outback... not that they have to be using it for everything.

I love spraying liquid smoke and then right into the microwave!!!
PARTY!!!!!

Back