MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Pastrami Questions

When making pastrami, do you ever steam it after you've smoked it? I have never done this but I read that pastrami was a brined brisket that was first smoked then steamed. I plan on trying this next time but was wondering if any of you have already tried this and could shed a little light on the technique. I also read that it was best to use the point of the brisket and not the flat. When shopping for corned beef, all I ever see in the stores are corned beef brisket flats. Do meat processors even corn the points? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've read that too Neil. I smoked two Corned Beef Points that I soaked overnight and changed the water 3x last weekend. I took some the next day and put it in a pan on a rack with a little water, covered with foil and stuck it in the oven for a bit, I didn't want it sitting in the water, it came out tasting great for sandwiches.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

When reheating always steam it!
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I have seen and used both point and flat. As to the steaming, depending on your cooker, that can be quite a bit of steam in there already. Let us know if you try it.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I have done a few simply using the corn beef from the grocery store. I use the included season pack and add more to cover the entire brisket flat. Then into the smoker. Both time I have done them, I used water in my pan, so I believe it was steamed and smoked at the same time.

It is the best pastrami I have ever tasted.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

I have only made pastrami once so far. But in the past when I would get meat from the deli that is how I would warm it up for sandwichs
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...t=wet+pastrami

Neil, check out this earlier thread, post #5. I've been doing a braise finish in foil, a covered roasting pan or a pressure cooker. I nicknamed it wet pastrami.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Biggun
On the road to being a farker

If you ever want to see debate, look up a Kantor's vs. Carnegie vs. anything in LA pastrami debate! Too salty, too fatty, too dry, too moist...goes on like a picnic vs. butt, point vs. flat, etc.

I have made pastramis from points and flats, I actually like the points a hair better, but then, fat is my friend! I first saw the steaming thing on a food show, one of the famous NY delis actually put the whole brisket in a steamer after smoking, cooked it up to about 170(?), I think. I now just reheat all my pastrami in a steamer basket on the stove- seems to really reinvigorate it.

Remember those after St. Patty's day sales. Most supermarkets will try to unload their stocks of corned beefs. Just remember to give it a good soaking!
Biggun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

After making mine I have always reheated it like my mom always did, put it in the crockpot on low and let it warm nice and slow all day!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

A lot of the Jewish deli's in NY offer "moist" and "lean" pastrami, I would assume those would correspond with the point and flat, respectively, although I do not have positive confirmation on this.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #11
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I am pretty simple minded with my pastrami.

I freeze it in little batches of 6 slices or so.
To reheat, I just Nuke it for a bit on mid power wrapped in a paper towel.
Onto a sandwich of Rye or Pumpernickle with spicey mustard or horseyradish and chow down

Also, I just cook factory corned beef with no soaking and all of that. Coat with cracked red or black pepper and cook to 160 or so. Folks that do not like the pepper can scrape it off the surface--easey peasey.
Seems to make my folks happy.

All kinds of ways to get where ya are going.

Speaking of which, I am out!!
Gotta pick up a corned beef flat for Thursday's cook.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
I am pretty simple minded with my pastrami.

I freeze it in little batches of 6 slices or so.
To reheat, I just Nuke it for a bit on mid power wrapped in a paper towel.
Onto a sandwich of Rye or Pumpernickle with spicey mustard or horseyradish and chow down

Also, I just cook factory corned beef with no soaking and all of that. Coat with cracked red or black pepper and cook to 160 or so. Folks that do not like the pepper can scrape it off the surface--easey peasey.
Seems to make my folks happy.

All kinds of ways to get where ya are going.

Speaking of which, I am out!!
Gotta pick up a corned beef flat for Thursday's cook.

TIM
Have you had them be salty? My understanding is that the corning solution is pretty salty.
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlh3 View Post
Have you had them be salty? My understanding is that the corning solution is pretty salty.
Nope.
Maybe lucky--- or maybe we like salt

Just a taste thing and you need to try it and adjust from there.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote