A rookie question.....

Single Fin Smoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, so amongst my family and friends here in HB, word has gotten out as to how farkin gewd this smoked beef, pork and chicken thing really is. Requests for up coming gatherings are multipying as I write this. My wife has taken it upon herself to offer my meat services to just about anyone who asks:-D .

That being said...

The days have gotten shorter, and the air temps seem to drop about 2:30 everyday. Maintaing my heat was a battle last weekend. Seems like I tried everything. I want to know how the pros in the hinter lands of our great nation handle this. Will raising my charcoal grate inside the firebox help? If so, what do I raise it with?

is there any profit in your " meat services " and is it legal?:shock:

Sorry......I know....Q-talk:biggrin:

Single Fin Smoker said:
I want to know how the pros in the hinter lands of our great nation handle this. Will raising my charcoal grate inside the firebox help? If so, what do I raise it with?

What kind of smoker?

Single Fin has a Charbroil based on a previous thread. He can start by turning the grates the opposite way. That will give him 2-3 inches of room from the bottom.

Does lifting the grate higher than the normal position mean more heat?

Oh yeah, its the little working mans Charbroil. Worked great over the summer. But as the weather has gotten colder I't gotten harder to keep that heat between 225 and 250.

just tell your wife that since she's offering your services, you'll need a bigger, heavier duty smoker.

Single Fin Smoker said:
Does lifting the grate higher than the normal position mean more heat

Yeah, it will mean more heat, but the fire will burn faster, so pay attention to the fuel. Basically, the higher it is, the more air will get under the fire and burn it faster. The fire will actually come alive and draw air up from underneath.

my suggestions

1. keep the pit out of the wind completely (if possible)
2. at least keep the intakes out of the wind.
3. Start the fire early, and build up a nice layer of coals to keep the unit warm for when the temp drops.

Don't be afraid to use some insulation on the top of the cook chamber...an old blanket or moving pad, etc. work...keep it away from the firbox!

fivelombardis said:
just tell your wife that since she's offering your services, you'll need a bigger, heavier duty smoker.

Agreed........

Single Fin Smoker said:
Ok, so amongst my family and friends here in HB, word has gotten out as to how farkin gewd this smoked beef, pork and chicken thing really is. Requests for up coming gatherings are multipying as I write this. My wife has taken it upon herself to offer my meat services to just about anyone who asks:-D .

That being said...

The days have gotten shorter, and the air temps seem to drop about 2:30 everyday. Maintaing my heat was a battle last weekend. Seems like I tried everything. I want to know how the pros in the hinter lands of our great nation handle this. Will raising my charcoal grate inside the firebox help? If so, what do I raise it with?

First and foremost... if you wife is offering up your services, you'll probably need a nice big double-walled insulated unit for the winter... :twisted:

Second - if you are selling/catering your wares... I would do some serious reading in the Food handling/awareness forum, lots of good info on safety, prep, etc... Joe and the other pros have provided alot of good info for us backyard and comp guys to learn and consider.

fivelombardis said:
He is right. Your smoker is fine for warm climates, but sucks in cold weather. Something like a Spicewine is ideal, though expensive. A cheaper choice would be a heavy steel one like a Cimmeron. Look for a used one to save money. Only real men smoke in cold weather so right now you might be able to pick up a good deal. Charge a bit per smoke and pay for it in no time. Carefull about doing it for free. Can get very expensive in a hurry. Good luck and enjoy.

Due to the thickness (or in this case the thinness) you best suggestions for your current cooker is what Chad stated above. Block as much wind as you can, even if it means getting some plywood and making a windblock (use hindges to fold up when not using). I know I really fight the 'dera in the winter.....a good double wall cooker might be a future investment if you continue on your current journey.

Back