Prime Rib on the Barbie

MossyMO

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Started out with a 11 lb. Prime Rib Roast.

-----

Since the prime rib roast was just for the in-laws, my wife and I, for this meal we cut the prime rib roast in half (froze the other half for another day) and injected it with Curley's Prime Rib Pump, rubbed it down with Tatonka Dust seasoning, wrapped it in Saran Wrap and put in the refrigerator overnight.

-----

-----

Next day I got the Weber kettle set up with the rotisserie, tube pellet smoker and a tray of fixings to have under the prime rib roast to catch drippings to make an au jus (see recipe below) doing my best to keep the kettle temp in the 150º to 170º area for a low 'n slow smoke of apple and oak.

-----

After a few hours of smoke added a liquid mixture to the fixings for the au jus.

-----

I raised the heat of the kettle to the 225º, as the prime rib roast was getting closer to temp and fired up the Yoder YS640 with both the hopper and the tube smoker loaded with oak/hickory/cherry and smoked a potato casserole and lobster tails seasoned with Seafood Splash. When the casserole was about done I bumped up the Yoder to higher temps to finish grilling the lobster on the GrillGrates while the prime rib roast rested.

-----

-----

Slicing up the prime rib roast after cooked to medium.

-----

Here is the plated meal with the Tatonka Dusted prime rib, au jus, lobster tails and potato casserole.

Thanks for looking!
-----

ChefJimmyJ’s Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic
Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,
THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,
2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the smoking process to the internal meat temperature you want.
While the roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt sauce pot and add 1 cup red rine, something you like to drink, and bring the au jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the au jus rest a minute or so for the fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the au jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.
The purpose of smoking the vegetables for 1 hour before adding the broth and herbs is...the smoked vegetables roast in the dry heat concentrating their flavors and sweetness giving the finished au jus a richer, deeper, full flavor.
Serve with sliced beef or thicken the au jus to make gravy.
-----
-----
SINFUL POTATOES

1 bag (cubed) frozen hash browns

1/2 cup chopped onion (more or less to taste)

1/2 cup melted butter

1tsp salt

dash of black pepper, or to taste

1 can cream of chicken soup

10 oz sour cream (I used a little more because it looked a little dry – suppose depending on how big your bag of potatoes are you will have to use more or less)

3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients together. Place in glass 9X13 cake pan.

*TOPPING*

4 cups corn flakes (Didn’t have corn flakes but had cornflake crumbs, I used 1 1/c cups but next time I will cut that in ½ and only use ¾ of a cup)

1/2 cup melted butter

Mix this together and spread evenly over potato mixture. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. (We smoked it and baked in the grill in a disposable aluminum pan)

Enjoy!

That...looks...AMAZING! I've gotta cook that sometime. It's not a cheap meal, that's for sure.

I'm a med rare guy, but I'd still hit that!

Nice job!

Ron - Marty's wife here .... I too would would like a little less done, more rare for me but company requested it done a little more. It was great though!! Wish there was more for leftovers! :sad:

Back