Back in action!

oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I finally finished the rebuild of my smoker! If you didn't see the wreckage from a couple months back, here is the link to that thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160294

Also, here is the original build thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152554

Anyway, luckily, the majority of the smoker was still salvageable. I also took this time to make some modifications. I decided to double the thickness of the inside of the walls in order to hold heat better. I also took some 1x4's and found the center point. I drilled 1" holes every 4" in 24" boards along the center line.

Then, I split this board down the center using my table saw, making 2 sides for rod holders.

I then screwed these rod holders inside the smoker along the side walls.

I then took some 7/8" doll rods and cut them to length (26").

I used the same method in order to hold up the water pan.

I had to completely rebuild the doors. I took 1/2" plywood and attached 1x8" car siding cut to length for the doors. Here is the finished product. The outside looks the same as it did before I broke it.

After it was done, I fired it up for a test run and seasoning smoke.

It works great. Holds very steady temps! I ran her at 225 for about 2 hours with very little variation.

Looks good Chris, great work!!
That's now I made rod holders in my smokehouse. :thumb:

No brakes on the coasters? I'm surprised.

It's awesome to see you've been able to resurrect this awesome, awesome smoker. Nice work, sir.

It took a couple of months before I had a weekend where I could work on it without distractions but I am glad to have her back up and running!

Nice work sir you would never know it was wrecked, you will be torchering the neighbors once again with the Sweet smell of BBQ.

Glad you were able to salvage this great looking build! I've always wanted to build an old school wood smokehouse. Too small a yard and too many Yoders to do it now, but one day!

Nice work sir you would never know it was wrecked, you will be torchering the neighbors once again with the Sweet smell of BBQ.

My neighbors are in awe of this thing. Every time I have it out, a bunch of them stop over to see what I am smoking. City folk are easily amused. Being from the county, I sometimes have to laugh at them..... They do love the stuff that comes out of there though.

Glad you were able to salvage this great looking build! I've always wanted to build an old school wood smokehouse. Too small a yard and too many Yoders to do it now, but one day!

You should do it. Put it on casters (with locks) and keep it in the garage. That is what I do. It puts out some great product.

I am on the lookout for some at work but I refuse to buy them for $16 a piece. I did block the wheels though when I had it out of the flat garage floor!
On my radial arm saw, I got tired of it moving while feeding wood, so I drilled a hole through the bracket and the wheel. Put a pin through. Might work for you.

Back