MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #121
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Have you figured up the amount of sales you will need per day/week/month just to make the bills and what your food costs are going to be to meet that?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #122
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

This is right along my way to Wisconsin, I'll be seeing ya in July for sure if you're up by then.
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #123
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
Have you figured up the amount of sales you will need per day/week/month just to make the bills and what your food costs are going to be to meet that?
Oh yeah, that was something I put together well over a year ago even before getting this deep into it. I've got things calculated down to the penny in terms of costs, and then planned daily sales, I've costed out menu items to the penny before setting the sales price, etc.

So it won't take long to see whether or not I'm making or losing money. But since I built a good 20% cushion in almost every initial expense, I hope that even if sales are only average, it means positive cash flow. And so far, virtually everything I've had to pay for or invoice for, has been under what I initially budgeted for, so that's a good start.

Only time will tell, but if it's one thing I understand, it's numbers.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #124
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

marubozo congrats and good luck. Here in south tx where i live there is a bbq joint called Mcbee's, Mcbee's has been open as long as i can remember, what makes Mcbee's great is they only cook a certain amount of food for the day, once its sold out that's it, no reselling day old que etc...bbq is best when its fresh daily.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #125
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddweatherholtz View Post
Just remember #1 thing is taking care of your guest, go above an beyond. You need to not be afraid to lose money at first. over staff. Never should someone walk in on a tuesday lunch and because you were afraid it was going to be slow and only have one server and a cook on and a you are suddenly busy and under staffed, that is a killer. If you mess up a order fix it 3 fold, comp it, and give them a gift cert. You or your managers should talk to ever single guest that comes in and get to know them. Treat every guest like a regular. And finally last bit of advice is to get involved in the community. I have been in this business a long time and it is usually not the food that makes or breaks a new place, it is the service and the over all exeprience.

Good luck, can not wait to see how it goes!! Maybe start a franchise and come to Maryland!
AMEN to this one. The community is the most important thing that you can be involved with. I have a friend who owns a BBQ pit house here and we are putting on a classic car show. Mydad, me and some others put on car shows for the city so that people can be involved. We have fundraisers and all sorts of things.

be nice to all even when they make you mad. Love the kids and if they come up to you with there dogs, pet the dogs. hahaha.

your gonna love it

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #126
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I did. That was my first plan of attack, but that got shot down quickly. In this area the only city that could support a truck full time would be the immediate South Bend, IN area. Only problem is they don't allow food trucks. So, getting outside of that area there's very little other than a lot of rural and small towns with just a few thousand people.

Just across the border here in Michigan where they are allowed, there's nothing to support a full time truck business, but there's one or two people who set up from time to time on weekends in the summer, but that's about it.

After thinking about it I actually preferred a physical location because investing in real estate is another thing I deal in, so aside from the business itself I know it may also turn out to be a reasonable investment given where we are in the current real estate market. Not counting on it by any means, but at least having some equity into it in the event things turn south means less of a financial hit if I have to get out. And if things go at least well enough to keep the doors open, then having the the 5 year note paid off would not only be great for cash flow, but hopefully by then some improvement in real estate could make for a bigger payday down the road.

VERY astute observation/plan. If people are asked, "What business is McDonalds in?", most will say, "The burger selling business of course". Not true. They are in the business of purchasing prime real estate and then selling burgers to pay it off. It is always best to look at the real estate aspect of any business.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #127
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looking forward to your opening. I'm just up the road from you in St. Joseph. Are you located east or west of old U.S. 31 (llth St.)?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #128
Soulcoffr
Got Wood.

I work in the same building as my city's sanitarian. Getting Servsafe certified is something to think about. It tends to make health inspectors think you know what you're doing. Cleanliness is paramount in the food business. The stuff he tells me about just makes me want to shake my head sometimes.

Learn the FDA Food Code as well. Read the book and know what it says. Other than that, best of luck to you!! I'd stop by, but I'm in Iowa.

https://www.servsafe.com/home
Soulcoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #129
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Looking forward to your opening. I'm just up the road from you in St. Joseph. Are you located east or west of old U.S. 31 (llth St.)?
Just east of there, on US 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulcoffr View Post
I work in the same building as my city's sanitarian. Getting Servsafe certified is something to think about. It tends to make health inspectors think you know what you're doing. Cleanliness is paramount in the food business. The stuff he tells me about just makes me want to shake my head sometimes.

Learn the FDA Food Code as well. Read the book and know what it says. Other than that, best of luck to you!! I'd stop by, but I'm in Iowa.

https://www.servsafe.com/home
Yeah, starting in 2009 all establishments here must have a certified manager on site at all times. So, already got the online class started.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #130
Crabby Pig
Got rid of the matchlight.

I started the same way. I lost my job about 10 years ago, and stuck my neck out to do what I like to do for a change. I opened a little BBQ place that was doing ok, then I bought a little seafood place that was doing about 200K a year in sales. Now we do about 1 million a year. I add the BBQ when I bought it. Follow your heart, never put something on a table that you know is not quit right. You only think you can get away with it this one time. Never sacrifice quality over price, use only great quality supplies. And then figure your cost, and make sure you charge what you need to charge. People will, even in a little poor town, pay for quality. Don't get your customers hooked on coupons either. Put your love in it.

Last edited by Crabby Pig; 05-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: forgot something in my ramblings lol
Crabby Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #131
Crabby Pig
Got rid of the matchlight.

Oh, and make sure you stay consistant!
Crabby Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #132
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Live the dream! Wish you nothing but success! If I was closer I would come support you!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #133
Utah Jake
On the road to being a farker

That is the worst looking building for a BBQ joint. I don't know how much change your landlord will put up with but that place says nothing, it could be a gold fish store as far as anyone knows. You should know what's being sold without looking at the sign. Go tour some successful shops especially national chains that have paid big bucks to run designs by study groups. On the inside it's going to take more than a new boring paint job. Think barn iron, rough lumber bright colors.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #134
BABYGOTBUTT
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddweatherholtz View Post
just remember #1 thing is taking care of your guest, go above an beyond. You need to not be afraid to lose money at first. Over staff. Never should someone walk in on a tuesday lunch and because you were afraid it was going to be slow and only have one server and a cook on and a you are suddenly busy and under staffed, that is a killer. If you mess up a order fix it 3 fold, comp it, and give them a gift cert. You or your managers should talk to ever single guest that comes in and get to know them. Treat every guest like a regular. And finally last bit of advice is to get involved in the community. I have been in this business a long time and it is usually not the food that makes or breaks a new place, it is the service and the over all exeprience.

Good luck, can not wait to see how it goes!! Maybe start a franchise and come to maryland!

agree, agree, agree agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
BABYGOTBUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #135
QorDie
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABYGOTBUTT View Post
agree, agree, agree agree!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's the old adage -- people come for the food, they come BACK for the service.

1 members found this post helpful.