MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #106
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Best of luck. I hope it is a huge success for you!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 04:17 AM   #107
kaosfury
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Karl

If you are looking for a smoker, there is a Southern Pride at auction right now.

http://assetsnowauctions.com/cgi-bin...cgi?monger12/1

It's in Ferndale. 6 days left. Be aware of the $300 they are going to add to your bid.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #108
Dyce51
On the road to being a farker

Congrats on your new adventure!!! Looks like your building has all the needed basics!!!! Good Luck to ya!!!!

I wish I had the capitol to open a BBQ Joint!! I'm starting with a mobile "BBQ Shack" and hoping to upgrade to a "Joint" in the future!
Dyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #109
Daddy-O

I'll be over for sure when you open!

Good luck.
Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #110
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

congratulations on the new place! grab up a video camera and start documenting the progress and putting it on youtube like your own reality show. bbq is real hot as entertainment these days and you might get picked up for your own show on television.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #111
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

Congrats on the new 'que restaurant. So far, your plans sound reasonable and you have a good handle on the front end work yet to do.

I have been in the same boat you have been in - too many people saying I need to open a restaurant because they love my cooking. My constant reply is, "Besides the fact that I'm basically broke and scared to death, I'd open a restaurant tomorrow." My real fear is that cooking BBQ every day might lead to me hating it instead of having the passion and enjoyment I get now from competition cooking and a few catering gigs here and there.

Best of luck with your new restaurant, and I also vote for flying pigs.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #112
DaGoomba
Knows what a fatty is.

Congrats and I look forward to hearing more on the progress!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #113
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, if you're already broke. You're almost there for owning a restaurant.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #114
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Meeeeeeeeechigan is a little far for me to drive, but wish you the best of luck, and have already suscribed to the thread to keep an eye on your updates.

I've been Quing for a few years, and only doing some small "sells" here and there the last year or so, but I've already gotten the "you should open a restuarant" comments.

Again, all the luck

Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #115
LT72884
Babbling Farker

from the photos listed, the inside looks good to me. wife says it looks super cute, ok, really i said that but i dont wanna say the word cute. hahaha. anyway, really the inside does look nice and i would love to have a BBQ place like that here. I like comfy sit down places.

Congrats on accomplishing what you have. Change the name for sure. Pig Spit is a cool name. haha.

keep us updated. I have a friend who opened a Cafe but he also has smokers. He serves the regular breakfast, lunch and dinner items that you would find at a standard cafe and also serves up BBQ as well. It is called Moon Dogs Cafe

http://www.moondogscafeandbbq.com/or...1000/Page.aspx

He gets great business because people feel they have options if they dont feel like bbq that day.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #116
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome. It's been a personal dream of mine to open a Q joint as well.

Best of luck man.
Looking forward to the updates!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #117
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Spent the day getting measurements of the entire place so I could put together an official floor plan. For planning reasons, and since the health department needs one. Anyway, here's a crude mockup. Best I could do with a free website, but not too shabby. Some of the objects may be slightly off scale, but it's pretty close.

I didn't include the walk-ins or the breezeway entrance, though.

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #118
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Wow, you have more detail than I had all through my process. I drew mine on graph paper and turned it in. Of course they rejected the first one. I sent notes with details and they approve the second one.

It does look great! The only thing they might make you change or add is a hand wash sink in the front cooking area.

Good luck!

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #119
ChetPunisher

Well, I will be making a drive south for some BBQ soon. The only thing I see that might be a problem is you have to squeeze by the counter on your way to the tables. You will be paying for bills and dealing with money all the time and so someone will be standing there a lot. Might want to have another door to access the kitchen/prep area for food to come out from.
ChetPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #120
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Wow, you have more detail than I had all through my process. I drew mine on graph paper and turned it in. Of course they rejected the first one. I sent notes with details and they approve the second one.

It does look great! The only thing they might make you change or add is a hand wash sink in the front cooking area.
Yeah, this level of detail wasn't needed, but I figured what the heck since I can't get my contractor there until next week.

And you're right about a hand sink in the front cooking area. Actually, there is one there currently and I just forgot to add it. I will need to update that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
Well, I will be making a drive south for some BBQ soon. The only thing I see that might be a problem is you have to squeeze by the counter on your way to the tables. You will be paying for bills and dealing with money all the time and so someone will be standing there a lot. Might want to have another door to access the kitchen/prep area for food to come out from.
Well, for one, the tables/chairs are not quite to scale and given the cheapness of the program there were no other options. So the space isn't quite that tight.

Also, there will be no table service and food will be served from the window at the far right end of the counter. So, there will hopefully be nobody working behind the counter or in the kitchen constantly walking from back to front of house.

But I do see the potential bottleneck if there's a line of customers and being so close to that table. After looking at it and seeing all the unused front counter space, I bet I could cut that counter in half and be just fine, and it would ease any possible congestion by that one table.

Great suggestion, thanks!
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->