MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #76
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

i wish you success.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #77
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Now I'm sort of jealous.

You have a good start for equipment. Check auctions in your area or within a days drive, there are deals. All my equipment is used and it saved a lot of money. I think we have only spent about $500 for parts to fix problem that have come up. Also if you can look at it before bidding on it, check it out. That story is for another thread. And as always Craigslist is your friend.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #78
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Now I'm sort of jealous.

You have a good start for equipment. Check auctions in your area or within a days drive, there are deals. All my equipment is used and it saved a lot of money. I think we have only spent about $500 for parts to fix problem that have come up. Also if you can look at it before bidding on it, check it out. That story is for another thread. And as always Craigslist is your friend.
Oh yeah, I'm a craigslist junkie. I check the business sections in the region about five times a day.

I've already got a buyer for the flat top. And our local restaurant supply buys and sells used equipment so at the very least if I can't unload something via craigslist, I can let them buy it even though it probably wouldn't be quite as good of a price.

I'm hoping after selling a few things and only needing to buy a used stove/oven I won't spend more than $1,000 total in that department because spending $15k+ on the smoker and associated install costs is eating up most of the equipment budget.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #79
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Love the refridge space you have!! I'm also starting a BBQ adventure mines just a Shack, the only thing I wish I had more of is the cooler space!! Going to follow along and watch. See how it goes case I every decide to expand to a sit down. Good Luck!!

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #80
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #81
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck. Takes some stones to do that.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #82
ddweatherholtz
Full Fledged Farker

Just remember #1 thing is taking care of your guest, go above an beyond. You need to not be afraid to lose money at first. over staff. Never should someone walk in on a tuesday lunch and because you were afraid it was going to be slow and only have one server and a cook on and a you are suddenly busy and under staffed, that is a killer. If you mess up a order fix it 3 fold, comp it, and give them a gift cert. You or your managers should talk to ever single guest that comes in and get to know them. Treat every guest like a regular. And finally last bit of advice is to get involved in the community. I have been in this business a long time and it is usually not the food that makes or breaks a new place, it is the service and the over all exeprience.

Good luck, can not wait to see how it goes!! Maybe start a franchise and come to Maryland!
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverik ET732
ddweatherholtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #83
Chrispy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Your photos remind me of our first place, although we spent 3 months working on it before we opened.
Do you have city water and sewer, or do you have a well and septic? If you have a septic system you might want to get your tanks and grease trap pumped before you open.
Think about how noisy it may be in the dinning room with out carpet? Just a thought.
The cooler-freezer space might seem to large but we will be amazed at how fast you will fill it up.
Speaking of refrigeration, check your condenser coils at the compressor, if they are dirty, covered in dust/grease, get them cleaned so every thing runs more efficient,
Especially with a hot Michigan summer around the corner.
And most of all good luck and long a line of guests!!
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #84
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Thanks for the pics of the Kitchen. Size looks really good, but seems very awkwardly organised, which I am sure you will sort out. I see a few things... I hope you dont mind some advice.

1. Lots of electrical wiring and leads all over the place just looks plain dangerous to me. As you'll need a new ceiling, make sure you re-rout all the power and run it down conduits exactly positioned for where all your electrical equipment will be.

2. Get another, or a bigger fryer as you will be doing a lot of fries, onion rings, buffalo wings, and maybe even catfish and chicken. There is nothing worse than bogging down a small fryer with too much food as everything will end up greasy and your oil will be dirty.

3. That dishwasher in the corner looks like it's gonna fall apart. Maybe get it serviced or trade it in???

More pics would be awesome... Am I right in assuming that with the kitchen, it's like 2 rooms?? The back room for the washing and where the 3 door fridge unit is, and the front part with the range and the walk ins?

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #85
ddweatherholtz
Full Fledged Farker

2. Get another, or a bigger fryer as you will be doing a lot of fries, onion rings, buffalo wings, and maybe even catfish and chicken. There is nothing worse than bogging down a small fryer with too much food as everything will end up greasy and your oil will be dirty.

Amen to that! Nothing worse than dirty oil, and then over using the fryer and not letting it get back to temp. Some of the small fryers can take 5 min to get back to 350 after being used for 8-10 min.
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverik ET732
ddweatherholtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #86
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Good luck
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #87
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddweatherholtz View Post

Amen to that! Nothing worse than dirty oil, and then over using the fryer and not letting it get back to temp. Some of the small fryers can take 5 min to get back to 350 after being used for 8-10 min.
It looks like the fryer is a full size one. It is on the right side of the flat top. I thought it was the thing on the left and then looked closer and that is a grill.

This is my thought on having a fryer. I hate them. I don't like cleaning them. They make for a bigger mess everywhere. More maintenance on other equipment like your hood filters. I think they can lead to complacency in your kitchen. Like adding a new item to the menu. What can we put in the fryer? No thought, just get something from your distributor and sell it. I am probably in the minority on this but it is something to think about. I do not have a fryer in my restaurant and will resist on getting one as long as possible. I have potato chips, no french fries.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #88
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Thanks for the pics of the Kitchen. Size looks really good, but seems very awkwardly organised, which I am sure you will sort out. I see a few things... I hope you dont mind some advice.

1. Lots of electrical wiring and leads all over the place just looks plain dangerous to me. As you'll need a new ceiling, make sure you re-rout all the power and run it down conduits exactly positioned for where all your electrical equipment will be.

3. That dishwasher in the corner looks like it's gonna fall apart. Maybe get it serviced or trade it in???

More pics would be awesome... Am I right in assuming that with the kitchen, it's like 2 rooms?? The back room for the washing and where the 3 door fridge unit is, and the front part with the range and the walk ins?
Oh yeah, the ceiling in the back is the first order of business. Getting an electrician in there to wire things properly so the lights aren't just hooked up with a bunch of extension cords. I don't know how they even got away with that to be honest. But I'm putting in a drop ceiling and having properly mounted and wired lights for sure.

I'm still undecided on the fryer. It's a full size unit, but it has clearly seen better days. Like Pyle's said, they are a pain and I don't know if I want to start out with one. I know some people will probably want or expect things like french fries, but I'm hoping to get by with all the traditional BBQ sides that are prepped ahead of time and don't need to be fried or cooked to order. We'll see how long that lasts though.

The dishwasher appears to be fine. I've already run a few cycles through it and everything appears to be working fine. No leaks, no mechanical issues, etc.

And you're right, it is a very awkward setup. It is made up of two parts. 85% is in the big back room (everything with blue paint). The big fridge, walk-ins, dishwasher, sinks, ice and soda machines, etc. Then on the other side of the wall on the dining room side is the flat top, grill, and fryer under that hood. It's separated from the dining room with a half wall, which I plan on extending to the ceiling to completely separate it. I think it's designed this way because way back, even before the last restaurant that was in there, it was more of a traditional diner truck stop type place. So it had one long counter for seating that overlooked that part of the kitchen.

As awkward as it is, since this is a BBQ joint that won't have a line cooking everything to order, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. For cooking, basically the smoker will be in the back, and then in the front cooking area will be the stove/grill/fryer, and the CVAP, hot, and cold serving tables. So really, the only time to go to the back for food will be to unload something from the smoker and bringing it to the front for holding/serving.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #89
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

One thing I couldn't tell from the picture and that people, I mean me, over look is prep area. Is the table in front of the 3 door cooler where you plan to do prep? Keep as much area for prep as possible. I wish I had thought of that when we set up our kitchen.

Μολν λαβέ

Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #90
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
One thing I couldn't tell from the picture and that people, I mean me, over look is prep area. Is the table in front of the 3 door cooler where you plan to do prep? Keep as much area for prep as possible. I wish I had thought of that when we set up our kitchen.
Yeah, not pictured are two huge prep tables, probably 8 feet long each. There's also a 4 foot prep table in the section with the flat top.