MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #316
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I've been following your thread with Great interest. Just a couple of ideas for business.

I'm not familiar with the geographic lay out but since your so close to ND, Would a billboard on the main road help? Heck, Billboards may not even be allowed up your way but being 2 miles from the main road that would be a small diversion for TG Parties and Fans.

We have a really good BBQ place here that delivers just like the Pizza chains. They are the only ones in town that do. Might be a good idea for the locals and work sites there especially when the weather gets bad.

Best of Skill in your venture! You have a great business plan.
Ya know, thats a good idea. Being new to the area, I check out all advertising, bill boards, tee shirts, signs on trucks, etc, etc. Thats the only way I know who to call and then I ask the few people I do know, If they ever heard of them.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #317
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Speaking of advertising, we did a little odd advertising today even though we're not open yet. There was a local pumpkin race, so obviously, my daughter and I made a pig pumpkin and slapped the logo on it and the family wore the shirts. We actually ended up winning for the cutest pumpkin and had a lot of people and even the newspaper asking about the restaurant, so it was worth it. Still bummed that my engineering skills didn't pan out and we didn't win the race though.

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #318
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

With that little girl, her big trophy, that smile, none of the rest matters.

That is a great pumpkin BTW.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #319
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
With that little girl, her big trophy, that smile, none of the rest matters.

That is a great pumpkin BTW.
All that ^^^^!!!!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #320
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I look at that picture and think "Oh, you won all right. And where it matters most!"

Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #321
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

That picture looks like a win in my book.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #322
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Can't say anymore than has been said

Her smile says it all!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #323
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Speaking of advertising, we did a little odd advertising today even though we're not open yet. There was a local pumpkin race, so obviously, my daughter and I made a pig pumpkin and slapped the logo on it and the family wore the shirts. We actually ended up winning for the cutest pumpkin and had a lot of people and even the newspaper asking about the restaurant, so it was worth it. Still bummed that my engineering skills didn't pan out and we didn't win the race though.

She is a happy little girl!!! I can see she is well taken care of.

I was in biz since 1986. all I can say is advertise advertise advertise, in that
order, LOL, it doesn't have to be expensive advertising either, what you done was a very good form.
One of my better forms, was to leave one biz card hooked with a little piece
of fun tac "you can buy it at walmart" stuck it anywhere it could be seen and not get in trouble. That little card brought in a lot of biz.

It might have been a little more expensive, but I aways made my own cards. That way I could tweak them how and when ever I wanted and didn't have to go through 250 or 500 pre made cards, not liking what was on them and I was always changing things up, so it worked out good for me.

I also would buy banners for church functions, little league ball diamonds
And things like that, people see that stuff and will react to it.
Like I sad in another post, I, being new to this area, have to read all the signs.

Hope this helps, it sure did for me!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #324
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh yeah, I definitely won in that regard. It was a blast.

And I just received the call I've been waiting for. The smoker is going to be delivered at 11 am on Thursday. One of the last pieces of the puzzle. Finally!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #325
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Oh yeah, I definitely won in that regard. It was a blast.

And I just received the call I've been waiting for. The smoker is going to be delivered at 11 am on Thursday. One of the last pieces of the puzzle. Finally!
Sweet! I'm sure it's in here, but what are you going with?

NM...I found it...Southern Pride 300. Looks sweet!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #326
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Sweet! I'm sure it's in here, but what are you going with?
Southern Pride 300. Doing a through the wall installation. Costly setup, but I value sleep and being able to focus on the customers and the business. At least that's how I imagine it working out in my head...

Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #327
Wornslick
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Nice wiring job around the window. Union crew? ;)
A Union electrician would have put the wiring in before the drywall was hung!

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #328
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

So whats left after the smoker? Open date set? Have you thought about takening some highlights of this thread to write a article to base a interview with a local newspaper or blog guy about your opening. If you do end up doing that I would not mention all the delays of the workers and how hard certian people were to work with..they are all future customers now

Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #329
fabmaster911
Got Wood.

subscribed
fabmaster911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #330
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
So whats left after the smoker? Open date set? Have you thought about takening some highlights of this thread to write a article to base a interview with a local newspaper or blog guy about your opening. If you do end up doing that I would not mention all the delays of the workers and how hard certian people were to work with..they are all future customers now
After the smoker, just finishing up most of the cosmetic renovations inside, inspections, etc. No open date quite yet, but I am planning on having a few friends come on November 2nd to hopefully break the smoker in with a trial run. If all goes well, hopefully we can open not long after that.

And I may do some sort of summary about everything after things get up and running. And you're right, I won't be naming names.

Speaking of the smoker, it came today as promised and we just finished putting it in. Just need to seal up the gap around it in the wall, get the roof built over it, and wire/connect everything up.

Pretty exciting to finally have it.