MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

You got balls. Opening a restaurant is tough. Good luck.

I'm back and forth between Three Rivers and Chicago. Keep posting and I'll try and stop in some time.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Leave everything as-is, just change the menu.

If it's good, people will come.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

To the OP. Fantastic post Sir. You mention the plain outer siding. Some of the best BBQ in my town are known by "Look for the blue building off this street". You can build a mystique around it.

I'm a mechanical guy and would recommend you keep the grass cut well away from that condenser unit/heat pump to save a lot of headaches and money down the road.

The product will speak for itself. If it's good, you'll be expanding soon. Folks don't really care about what a place looks like IF the food is good.

Just my .02 and Best of Skill in your venture.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

I am sorry but I freaking love that name for a bbq joint.... it is hysterical....

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Or a better one would be Ann Arbor is a Whore.... lol GoBucks!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Harry View Post
best of luck. beer license or is that later
It will be later if I do it at all. I'm a big beer fan as a brewer myself, so getting at least bottled beer in there would be nice. But we'll see how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
You got balls. Opening a restaurant is tough. Good luck.

I'm back and forth between Three Rivers and Chicago. Keep posting and I'll try and stop in some time.
Less balls and more stupid/crazy I think. And yeah, you probably don't pass too far by if you go to Three Rivers from Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
To the OP. Fantastic post Sir. You mention the plain outer siding. Some of the best BBQ in my town are known by "Look for the blue building off this street". You can build a mystique around it.

I'm a mechanical guy and would recommend you keep the grass cut well away from that condenser unit/heat pump to save a lot of headaches and money down the road.

The product will speak for itself. If it's good, you'll be expanding soon. Folks don't really care about what a place looks like IF the food is good.

Just my .02 and Best of Skill in your venture.
Thanks. Yes, that's why I figure the exterior is the last on the list of things to fix or update. But the siding really is in disrepair in a few spots, mostly on the other side of the building and the health inspector was giving me a bit of trouble with it, so if the budget allows it would be nice to update and get away from the cheap baby blue.

Good call on the grass around the AC units. The previous owners decided to skip mowing so far this year since they knew it was under contract, so it got out of control. I planned on nuking the grass in that area and just putting down gravel or stones or something. No reason to have grass growing there anyway since it would just be a pain to maintain, but knowing that it's also a potential issue for the AC units, even more of a reason to get rid of it. Thanks for the suggestion!
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotribe28 View Post
Or a better one would be Ann Arbor is a Whore.... lol
Hah! I like that because I'm a Michigan State alum.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
caseydog

Good luck to you.

Here's a few suggestions.

Don't spend a lot on decor. You need to make that place look like a hole-in-the-wall. Que is always better at a BBQ joint than at a BBQ Restaurant. If you can find a laminate floor that looks like distressed wood, you'd get an economical and code compliant floor that is BBQ joint worthy.

Get rid of all those chrome stools, and get some garage-sale chairs. Make the walls look old. If it were me, I might even park a smoker in the dining room and smoke the room out for a day or two.

I'd lose the plain white ceiling, too. Maybe some fake tin tiles, or better yet, some re-cycled tin tiles.

When you get around to replacing the siding, think about materials like recycled corrugated steel and barnwood.

A BBQ joint should be clean, but not pretty, IMO.

Sorry for rambling. It is the Art Major in me. That, and the BBQ joints people tend to talk about are, basically, clean and sanitary dives. That kind of eating environment just seems to set the right mood for eating smoked meats.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Thanks, where abouts are you in Michigan?
mid michigan area just outside Lansing
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
My insurance agent here in TX is a State alum.... that's the only reason I use them if they were blue fans I would have told them to f-off....lol

Old 05-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I had to look it up, but that's where my D-I-L went. I just know that green is good and blue and yellow are bad. They're in Auburn Hills and we head that way once in a while so maybe you'll give us an alternative to Redamak's.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Good luck. I first read your original post time as 7:08 AM and thought that must have been a long 3 months to have a glass of whiskey at 7 in the morning.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
It's in Niles, so if you ever went to South Bend or Mishawaka Indiana for something, you may have passed it since it's on US 12.
Ha...I knew it!! I stay in Niles frequently (know a lot of folks in the area) and used to work in Dowagiac. I think I am going to be over there (Buchanan or Niles) in a couple of months, keep us posted, looking forward to stopping by.
TroyA65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Good luck on your venture. This will be a must check post hopefully for a long time.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Good luck!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote