MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #271
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

I hope you the best! I'm so glad there will be no ND stuff on the walls! Boiler Up! But wait what goes better with bbq than sports and a cold beverage. How how about BIG 10 memorabilia and just a little ND to keep the locals happy. I'll send you all the PU stuff you want.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #272
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Love the shirt marubozo ...

Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #273
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjwheeler View Post
A restaurant is like a boat. Everybody needs to own one in their life.
Great quote!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #274
The Smoking Pig
Knows what a fatty is.

Two questions. First, apparently your place is close to ND, I wouldn't place a single item of their on the wall either, but my team Rutgers is joining the B1G soon and I am not familiar with the area up there is it also close to any other schools cause I plan on going to a lot of away games and would love to visit on the trip.

Two, I am new here so I am unsure, did you do any catering first before you moved to the restaurant or just backyard, family get together stuff. Thanks
The Smoking Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #275
luv2putt
Knows what a fatty is.

I want a shirt ... How much ??

Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #276
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
I hope you the best! I'm so glad there will be no ND stuff on the walls! Boiler Up! But wait what goes better with bbq than sports and a cold beverage. How how about BIG 10 memorabilia and just a little ND to keep the locals happy. I'll send you all the PU stuff you want.
Go Irish!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #277
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdogj View Post
Great thread! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see more and more as the project progresses. Hopefully someday I will be stopping in at The Prized Pig for some good ol' BBQ.

You're definitely doing something that myself, and a lot of others, only dream of doing. It's awesome just to read about the experience that you are going through and how your information could help someone down the road with their own restaurant startup.

Once again, keep it up! Never put up any ND stuff....great move On Wisconsin! Go Badgers!
Man what's up with all the ND hate? Go Irish!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #278
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smoking Pig View Post
Two questions. First, apparently your place is close to ND, I wouldn't place a single item of their on the wall either, but my team Rutgers is joining the B1G soon and I am not familiar with the area up there is it also close to any other schools cause I plan on going to a lot of away games and would love to visit on the trip.

Two, I am new here so I am unsure, did you do any catering first before you moved to the restaurant or just backyard, family get together stuff. Thanks
No other major schools immediately close by, but within just about two hours or less there's Northwestern and Purdue. And a bit of a stretch, but Michigan State is about 2.5 hours away and Indiana University is about 3.

As for the catering and stuff, I did a ton of friends and family type stuff, but did some occasional catering as well. I only did really small gigs (usually 40 or less people) since I wanted to keep it something I could handle doing myself and not needing to hire help or invest in more equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2putt View Post
I want a shirt ... How much ??
Well, no shirts being sold quite yet. First run was a small batch just to cover staff needs and to get a few shirts on friends and family to wear around, but I'll be doing a much larger printing once we get open and will have some available then.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #279
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Marubozo I wish you the best of luck and will be following this thread....
Dang just read it all and my eyes are tired lol

I will try to be there for your opening.

Keep on keeping on and keep your head up.

Dave
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #280
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Hell yeah. Those shirts are tight.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #281
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
The rest of the wood came today. Not looking forward to stacking it, but I guess with all the delays, I've got time on my side.

I would stack all, or at least a big pile of that wood in FRONT of the restaurant, where people driving by can see it. If you want to sell genuine BBQ, you need to show off your wood... er, um, you know what I mean.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #282
bigdstyron
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
A southern pride 300.

Why didn't you end up going with the Ole Hickory SSM you originally planned to get? Because of the delivery delay you mentioned? After your description of the poor customer service, I'm kinda surprised you went to them.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #283
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Love the tshirts! Great image with the pig. Any way we can order these as brethren? I plan to visit when I am in MI next, but would order one today if I could.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #284
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I would stack all, or at least a big pile of that wood in FRONT of the restaurant, where people driving by can see it. If you want to sell genuine BBQ, you need to show off your wood... er, um, you know what I mean.

CD
That's actually a really good idea. There's a great empty spot along the front of the building where I could stack a good half cord or so. Not only would everybody see a pile of wood, but it would cover up some of that ugly blue vinyl siding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdstyron View Post
Why didn't you end up going with the Ole Hickory SSM you originally planned to get? Because of the delivery delay you mentioned? After your description of the poor customer service, I'm kinda surprised you went to them.
That decision was not an easy one. What it really came down to was the inability to locate the smoker inside. There is only one place to put one, that model or otherwise, and unfortunately it would have required redoing the entire HVAC system. After speaking to a few different HVAC people, it was clear there was no way around it without spending thousands.

So, it all came down to a through the wall installation. Again, only one spot in the entire kitchen where this would work. And unfortunately again, none of the Ole Hickory units would fit in that very tight spot due to their dimensions.

Yeah, not ideal, but just one of those things that you have to make the best of a situation. And I'll even say it again, Southern Pride's support, or at least the people who pick up the phone when you call them, are about worthless. That hasn't changed. BUT, the distributor they pawned me off to for this region, he is the absolute best. For this part of the country SP is handled by Miller Scales & Food Machines, and I've got to say, Murray Miller the owner, is just outstanding. He's installed dozens of these cookers and will talk your ear off all day about them. He knows everything there is to know, comes out personally to set them up, and even gave me his cell number the first time I got in touch with him.

So in the end even if SP's support sucks, having somebody somewhat local who knows these cookers inside and out and will jump through hoops to make sure everything is working right is a great piece of mind. I can live with that.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #285
Pizzaman
Found some matches.

Good Luck. I will be interested to see when you open.
I am a Restaurant business consultant for 15 years and a former business owner as well. Opened many and know what you are going through.
Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote