MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #256
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
That's a great question.

I do hope that there will be some football traffic as like you said, we are pretty close. It's just an odd setup here. We're only about two miles north of the Indiana border, and it's kind of odd because it seems like EVERYTHING is just on the other side of the border. Even though it's only a couple of miles, it's as if people have no need to go north of the border so everybody seems to stay down there.

Now, if there was a good reason to make the couple mile drive, say, to get five pounds of awesome pulled pork to take to your tailgate party, then that could get people in. But it would take some targeted marketing to those fans down there and let them know about us. There's also a good opportunity to advertise game day party packs or something where people can call in ahead of time and place an order for X amount of people and we put together everything they need to pick up on game day.

So, it will be interesting to see if I can convert on any of the football activity this fall.
There are hundreds of fans north of you that go to the games every week. It might be worth looking into placing an ad in the Herald Paladium or WSJM's Dining Deals.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #257
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

hey just a thought if you want to get Notre Dame fans to come and buy your food give them a discount on food when they wear team apparel in. Also maybe you should get some Notre Dame stuff to put up. Make them feel at home and they will come. Good Luck!
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #258
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There are hundreds of fans north of you that go to the games every week. It might be worth looking into placing an ad in the Herald Paladium or WSJM's Dining Deals.
Yeah, good point. I was mostly referring to all the people who travel in from out of town to the games. But there are quite a few who are still local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
hey just a thought if you want to get Notre Dame fans to come and buy your food give them a discount on food when they wear team apparel in. Also maybe you should get some Notre Dame stuff to put up. Make them feel at home and they will come. Good Luck!
There will be no ND stuff going on the walls in the restaurant. That's for sure. Now offering discounts on game day with apparel, maybe. I may live here, but that doesn't mean I like ND. I will try to attract their fans, but I won't stoop to littering the place with their paraphernalia. It's a college football thing, and some lines cannot be crossed.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #259
BBQ-Jim
On the road to being a farker

I know what you mean.... ROLL TIDE.... sorry I just couldn't resist....
BBQ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #260
humdogj
Knows what a fatty is.

Great thread! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see more and more as the project progresses. Hopefully someday I will be stopping in at The Prized Pig for some good ol' BBQ.

You're definitely doing something that myself, and a lot of others, only dream of doing. It's awesome just to read about the experience that you are going through and how your information could help someone down the road with their own restaurant startup.

Once again, keep it up! Never put up any ND stuff....great move On Wisconsin! Go Badgers!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #261
mazz1
Found some matches.

good luck. just sold my restaurant. did it for 30 yrs. expect lots of highs and lows and never before seen stress level. all worth it. most important your place keep your finger on everything watch everyone around you at all time. good luck
mazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #262
raginranger
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
There will be no ND stuff going on the walls in the restaurant. That's for sure. Now offering discounts on game day with apparel, maybe. I may live here, but that doesn't mean I like ND. I will try to attract their fans, but I won't stoop to littering the place with their paraphernalia. It's a college football thing, and some lines cannot be crossed.
Haha, that's funny. I guess you are a Michigan fan? I'm a Clemson fan but unfortunately live in the town where our rival university (South Carolina) is located.

I've contemplated myself if I would have to somehow promote their university if I wanted to set up a successful BBQ place here. I don't think I have it in me to do it....though. Go Tigers!

As for your situation, I was in college not that long ago, and remember that students would do almost anything for a free t-shirt and a free meal. There were credit card companies who would setup booths on the main strip of Clemson and give people a free meal and t-shirt in exchange for them signing up for a credit card. Now for a credit card company, the tactic is a little sleazy IMO, but it was very effective.

Maybe you could go to the university and hand out coupons with a pretty hefty discount, along with a free t-shirt. Could end up costing a good bit, but hundreds of students wearing your t-shirt would be some great marketing. Then, if you get them in the door with a good discount, they then realize that your food is awesome, that 15-20 minute drive from Notre Dame won't seem too bad anymore.
raginranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #263
Dim
Got Wood.

get Gordon Ramsey over .... they pay to fit your kitchen, decorate your restaurant, set up neon signboards and also promote your business (for free)
Dim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #264
akakakir
Found some matches.

This thread certainly is a great place for a 1st post. Exciting read and the respect within this community is manifest. Really wish you all the best with this project. I'm a new fan of your Facebook page just to make sure I don't miss any development.

Oh, and great job with the T-shirts! :D
akakakir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #265
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdogj View Post
You're definitely doing something that myself, and a lot of others, only dream of doing. It's awesome just to read about the experience that you are going through and how your information could help someone down the road with their own restaurant startup.

Once again, keep it up! Never put up any ND stuff....great move On Wisconsin! Go Badgers!
Thanks. That was my whole reason for creating this post. In my planning for making this a reality, I found tons of amazing advice on this site and others just by reading about others who have gone down this path before. It's far more helpful than any book. So, I just hope that either in success or failure, by sharing my experience I can help others go on to do their own thing. (or save them a lot of money by convincing them not to do it!)

And boo, no Badgers! I bleed green. Go MSU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raginranger View Post
Haha, that's funny. I guess you are a Michigan fan? I'm a Clemson fan but unfortunately live in the town where our rival university (South Carolina) is located.

I've contemplated myself if I would have to somehow promote their university if I wanted to set up a successful BBQ place here. I don't think I have it in me to do it....though. Go Tigers!

As for your situation, I was in college not that long ago, and remember that students would do almost anything for a free t-shirt and a free meal. There were credit card companies who would setup booths on the main strip of Clemson and give people a free meal and t-shirt in exchange for them signing up for a credit card. Now for a credit card company, the tactic is a little sleazy IMO, but it was very effective.

Maybe you could go to the university and hand out coupons with a pretty hefty discount, along with a free t-shirt. Could end up costing a good bit, but hundreds of students wearing your t-shirt would be some great marketing. Then, if you get them in the door with a good discount, they then realize that your food is awesome, that 15-20 minute drive from Notre Dame won't seem too bad anymore.
Michigan is evil! I went to Michigan State, so that's where my allegiance lies.

But good idea on the college freebies. Like you said, I bet there's some opportunity out there to grab some of the student base with something like that. I'll have to brainstorm that a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim View Post
get Gordon Ramsey over .... they pay to fit your kitchen, decorate your restaurant, set up neon signboards and also promote your business (for free)
Hah, it's funny you mention that. Just the other night my wife said I should just call Robert Irvine and have Restaurant Impossible come out and finish the place and get the doors open. I think she may have been serious.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #266
armissionsman
Found some matches.

Sweet! good luck to ya. I do a lot of traveling. I always try the local BBQ when I'm out. If and when I get close to ya... I'll drop in and give your BBQ a try.
armissionsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #267
Exocet
Knows what a fatty is.

Best of luck to you! Looks like the place is in good shape and the location should have decent traffic. With good food and advertising, hopefully you can make a go of it.

I'm originally from the BC area. If I get some time when I'm back home for a visit, I'll have to swing by.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #268
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

The rest of the wood came today. Not looking forward to stacking it, but I guess with all the delays, I've got time on my side.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #269
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

What kind of wood?

Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #270
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post