MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #211
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Great job! Love following your progress. Stay encouraged. In no time you'll have a new problem of too many customers and not enough seats.
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #212
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Regardless of what the people tell you on DIY network or HGTV, removing carpet that's glued to concrete is not as easy as they make it seem. Long two days getting that pulled up, and now it's time to scrape all the adhesive stuck to the concrete. Ugh.

But this was one of the major projects, and hopefully it will be all cleaned up and ready for the wood flooring in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirk View Post
The scraping SUCKSSSS!!!!
Quote:
Tell me about it. I already stocked up on blades because I can see this is going to take a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirk View Post
A buddy of mine is a contractor and he uses a diamond grinder on a hand grinder to get it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
Terazzo grinding machine. Maybe you can rent one.
You may have already discovered this but you can't get yellow carpet adhesive up with a grinder, the mastic just gets soft and gums up the stones. This is what we used when I did my office space. It turned a 5 day job into a half day job.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #213
Paulie G.
is one Smokin' Farker

Best of luck to you. As a former restaurateur. I now do only catering, my blood pressure thanks me for it.
Klose custom 28'x7' Golf Pro Classic mobile pit.
Paulie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #214
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
You may have already discovered this but you can't get yellow carpet adhesive up with a grinder, the mastic just gets soft and gums up the stones. This is what we used when I did my office space. It turned a 5 day job into a half day job.
Thanks for the tip on this product. I don't think I'm going to need to go that route, but it's nice to know there's something out there. I was able to use the scraper to even out any major imperfections. And now with the floating floor and pad, hopefully I'll be good to go.

And in other news, just another day of unpleasant surprises. Ventilation guy finally showed up today, but didn't have much good news for me. The smoker simply cannot go where I had planned on thanks to all of the immovable, or incredibly expensive to move duct work directly above my proposed location.

There's only one other place to put it and that's on the opposite wall. And of course, that was all laid out for all the fountain machine equipment, CO2 tanks, etc. In fact, all the lines were already plumbed and ready to go from the last place, so reconfiguring that should be a fun project.

And the electrician is still MIA. Called the general contractor today and even he can't seem to track him down.

And of course, still no sign installed.

Overall, it's just been one of those weeks so far. But oh well, we're having a party here at the house this weekend and I'll get to cook a lot of BBQ, so that will help ease the pain.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #215
Dilly767
Found some matches.

I have been enjoying reading your progress. I used too do hvac and saw that you said it would be costly to move ductwork for your smoker install. If you can post some pics of where the ductwork is in the way maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #216
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Overall, it's just been one of those weeks so far. But oh well, we're having a party here at the house this weekend and I'll get to cook a lot of BBQ and drink a lot of beer, so that will help ease the pain.
Fixed it for ya... Keep fighting the good fight!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #217
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a quick update since it's been a while. Frustration levels are high, though subsiding a bit after some progress this week. I am just amazed at the lack of customer service these builders/contractors/skilled trades people exhibit. How hard is it to return a phone call? How hard is it to spend 30 seconds firing off an email to explain why you missed your deadline/appointment? Drives me crazy.

Anyway, it's weeks late, but the replacement sign is up:

About as good as we could do given the size and dimensions of the panels. I still want to put a big sign right on the side of the building, but that will probably need to wait. But at least now the old restaurant sign is gone and people can now see that something new is coming into the space.

And since all these contractors keep dropping the ball, I was put in touch with an actual restaurant designer and consultant who's been doing this for nearly 40 years. He came out walked through everything and said he's going to bring one of his guys out hopefully tomorrow or this weekend to finalize some measurements and equipment needs. He said he could have the work done in about three weeks, so that's promising news at least.

He also blew my mind when he found a space that we could put a SP unit through the wall. That will save a ton in terms of having to relocate the existing exhaust, and save even more space in the kitchen by having the unit mostly housed outside, so I'm excited about that.

Oh, and I've pretty much finished the bathroom remodel and it looks a hundred times better. I'll try to snag some pics the next time I'm there.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #218
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I think you are being too nice with your contractors. Do they know you don't have an opening date? If they do they can always blow you off. Hopefully your new guy will keep on top of things. I would work on a open date and give everyone that deadline, otherwise there is no hurry to get anything done. I know we started from scratch and I don't know if that made a difference, but it took us a little over 8 weeks from the day we bought our first piece of equipment to open. I know this doesn't help you, just trying to give you some ideas.

Hoping things get better over the next few weeks.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #219
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad to hear it. I work with contractors at work a lot, and you can't always count on them to stick to their word. Unfortunately, that is a "squeaky wheel" type of thing, and you probably aren't being squeaky enough

Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #220
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

How's it going?

I've seen contractors wait a week to see if any one has bid on your project. If there hasn't been any bids they know they can ask what ever they want. If there have been bids, they will try to low ball the others....of coarse they can't do it at that low cost and then they try to squeeze every dime out of you that they can. That's why the good ones are booked solid.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #221
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
How's it going?

I've seen contractors wait a week to see if any one has bid on your project. If there hasn't been any bids they know they can ask what ever they want. If there have been bids, they will try to low ball the others....of coarse they can't do it at that low cost and then they try to squeeze every dime out of you that they can. That's why the good ones are booked solid.
Eh, it's going. I met with a restaurant consultant last week who stopped by and he claims he has a few contractors that he uses that do nothing but restaurant work. We went over everything, gave him the drawings, spec sheets, he took measurements, etc. and he said he would get a guy out there in a few days to take a closer look and put a bid together, and said it was probably just a 3 week job tops.

Well, here we are almost a week later and after calling and emailing him every day about what the hell is going on, I haven't heard from the guy yet. Like you said about the wait a week thing, I think I'll call him tomorrow and if he doesn't answer, leave a message and say I had somebody else come out this week and explain that I wanted to give him one last shot before I go with the other guy, even if he doesn't exist, and see if that changes his tune.

In the meantime, I've also been using my wife to hit up all her contacts at work and have a few more names, so I'll be back on the phone making calls and just play the numbers game until somebody steps up. I just never expected it to be this hard. I thought the economy was in the crapper and people were out there begging for work, not the other way around.

Other than still working on that, I did get all the shirts ordered for the staff, and to sell to customers, and those should be in next month. Frivolous in the grand scheme of things, but it's one more item off the list. One thing at a time I guess.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #222
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
The problem with buying as I understand it (and only a little) is that buying property is paid for with after tax money, LEASING property is paid for with pre tax money ?

Bill
Lease payments are fully deductible whereas only the interest on a mortgage is deductible. So, all the money you pay on a lease for the year is taken off of your gross profit at the end of the year and can keep you from paying a lot of taxes if you are successful.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #223
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Uniforms, even if they are t-shirts and jeans are not frivolous, not the critical path, but, a nice clean appearance, and uniform look, does a lot to make a place look like a place I would want to eat. One of the men who taught me to cook, would remove his meat apron, and put on a clean apron to serve people. He said he felt like it meant he respected the customer, and he figured nobody want to eat food from a guy in a dirty, stained apron.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #224
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Uniforms, even if they are t-shirts and jeans are not frivolous, not the critical path, but, a nice clean appearance, and uniform look, does a lot to make a place look like a place I would want to eat. One of the men who taught me to cook, would remove his meat apron, and put on a clean apron to serve people. He said he felt like it meant he respected the customer, and he figured nobody want to eat food from a guy in a dirty, stained apron.
Oh yeah, for sure it's important. I mostly meant in terms of all the big items left unfinished, the simple task of designing and ordering uniform shirts seems like a drop in the bucket.

But yeah, there's something to be said about a place where the staff all have a clean and matching look compared to leaving them to their own devices when it comes to getting dressed in the morning.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #225
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
Lease payments are fully deductible whereas only the interest on a mortgage is deductible. So, all the money you pay on a lease for the year is taken off of your gross profit at the end of the year and can keep you from paying a lot of taxes if you are successful.
How does that work???? You cant write off any of the principle payment as a business expense? Doesn't make sense to me. Would it be "creative accounting" to put the old lady as the owner of the business and then lease it to her while you pay the mortgage?