MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #196
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
The problem with buying as I understand it (and only a little) is that buying property is paid for with after tax money, LEASING property is paid for with pre tax money ?

Bill
Not entirely the case. It's true that if you go and buy a place and pay cash, yes, you're using after tax money for the purchase. But most of the time you don't pay in full with cash and it's largely financed. So, those monthly payments are going to have tax deductions for the loan interest, property taxes, etc. With a lease you can deduct the entire amount since there's no principal repayment component.

But the main benefit other than a few dollars here and there for tax deductions is building equity with other people's money. If the business fails after a year and you've been paying $1,500/month rent, what do you have when you close the doors? Nothing as far as the building is concerned. What if you stay in business for 10 years and are successful? Again, even if you did decide to sell or get out, you've paid $180,000 to a landlord for occupancy, and walk away with nothing. Buy the place, put $25k down and let the business income pay off the mortgage for you. 10 years later it's paid off, you only invested $25k of your own money, but have an asset worth $180,000. That's $173,000 profit in your pocket vs. leasing. (numbers are just for illustration purposes)

There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but around here it's usually cheaper, or at least not much more expensive to buy. And that's a no-brainer since that means everything you do to improve the building and pay off the loan means ultimately, most of that money will eventually find its way back into your pocket rather than lining the pockets of a landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe View Post
have you thought of staining the concrete pad rather than installing a floating floor? It will last longer and can be easier to clean.
I'm doing that in the kitchen. It has some awful linoleum tiles in rough shape, so we're stripping that down and just staining the concrete, which was actually suggested by the health department as well.

But for the dining area it's a small expense to put in good looking laminate wood flooring. Looking at just $1,500 in materials, and it will be pretty much just easier to clean. And that's a small price to pay for something that will significantly improve the look of the dining room and give it a nice and warm feel.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #197
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

This is an awesome thread. Just spent an hour reading through it all. I'm excited to keep an eye out on your progress. Good luck in your endeavors and smoke on Brother!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #198
Piggy_Tummy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaub View Post
Road Trip!!!
I agree with this one! Im a little bit closer than PA but still would be a fun trip :D

Old 06-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #199
smokemaster1
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck on the venture. You've got a great plan!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #200
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

How's things coming along?
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #201
coastal
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread. I am going to print and save this to reference
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #202
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
How's things coming along?
I was going to post an update later this week when hopefully a few things get done, but overall things are moving frustratingly slowly.

Finding builders, contractors, or anyone willing to do work has been a huge roadblock. It's taken over three weeks to even get somebody to return my calls. I don't know if people are just too busy or what, but it's driving me crazy. A ventilation guy should be coming by in the morning to give me a quote on relocating the exhaust for the smoker, so that's a start.

Otherwise I've just been doing any work on the place myself that I can. I ended up and completely gutted the bathroom and am redoing that myself. Should be primed and ready to paint tomorrow or Tuesday. And we just got back from Lowe's and dropped off the new vanity, toilet, and a few other things to complete that job.

We also unloaded a pallet of flooring tonight that will be going in the dining room, but that is going to have to wait to go in because of the pending construction on that one interior wall.

The new sign outside should be installed early this week, which I'm excited about because when people drive by and see the new sign, that will get people talking. There is already a lot of talk and rumors floating around about the place, so I'm looking forward to the buzz it will generate.

So, hopefully later this week I'll have some pictures of the progress with the new sign, finished bathroom, etc. And hopefully have somebody committed to the construction and a better time table for completion.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #203
lance0623
Knows what a fatty is.

Loved reading this thread; please update often!
lance0623 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #204
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

As I've come to expect, the HVAC guy never showed up this morning like he said. So now I get to play phone tag and listen to excuses and try to set up another time.

And another surprise this morning, I pulled in and noticed my dumpster is gone. The trash company apparently removed the wrong one. There's another dumpster out back by the barn that the previous owners had brought in to clean out the barn and it's still there.

It's always something. But the good news is the new floor is going to look great in the dining room, especially with all the natural light the building has.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #205
nthole
Babbling Farker

That flooring is beautiful! Very nice choice.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #206
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

This thread is captivating for all of us who ever even considered opening a Q joint. It should be a course for an MBA. Please keep sharing the details. Thanks for being the guinea pig!
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #207
Banjoe
On the road to being a farker

I'm looking forward to walking on those new floors.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #208
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

One step foreward, one step back and one sideways. Good luck with the contractors.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #209
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread, you are doing great.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #210
TowersOfFood
Knows what a fatty is.

Good Luck, Wishing all the best!!!!!!!! Just remember love what you do and do what you love.
18.5 WSM, 22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, XL BGE, Smokey Joe silver, Weber E-330 and La Caja China #2.
TowersOfFood is offline   Reply With Quote