MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #181
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Regardless of what the people tell you on DIY network or HGTV, removing carpet that's glued to concrete is not as easy as they make it seem. Long two days getting that pulled up, and now it's time to scrape all the adhesive stuck to the concrete. Ugh.

But this was one of the major projects, and hopefully it will be all cleaned up and ready for the wood flooring in a few days.

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #182
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Regardless of what the people tell you on DIY network or HGTV, removing carpet that's glued to concrete is not as easy as they make it seem. Long two days getting that pulled up, and now it's time to scrape all the adhesive stuck to the concrete. Ugh.

But this was one of the major projects, and hopefully it will be all cleaned up and ready for the wood flooring in a few days.

The scraping SUCKSSSS!!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #183
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirk View Post
The scraping SUCKSSSS!!!!
Tell me about it. I already stocked up on blades because I can see this is going to take a while.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #184
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Tell me about it. I already stocked up on blades because I can see this is going to take a while.
A buddy of mine is a contractor and he uses a diamond grinder on a hand grinder to get it off.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #185
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Terazzo grinding machine. Maybe you can rent one.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #186
kackiesque
Found some matches.

Default Opening date?

When do you think you might be open we would love to come and support a fellow BBQ brother and are only about 45 minutes away from you.
kackiesque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #187
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
I'll leave you with some wisdom that Amy Mills of 17th Street BBQ recently shared with me. "Always keep in mind that the loudest voices you will often hear are the bloggers and food critics and they set the tone in many corners of the country. You must be able to distinguish their {louder} voices from the voices of your actual customers."

Again, best of luck!
Here is why I say that you will do better with a Southern Pride, some sleep and the ability to get out and talk, than with a stickburner, and no time or sleep. If you can get out there, either at the register or at tableside, and talk with your customers, you will develop a relationship and they will tell you what you need to hear. But, Bloggers and Yelpers cannot be ignored, they do have a loud voice, and can really be an aid in driving business to you. Buzz matters.

Most folks will tell you what they think you want to hear, unless you get out there and say 'hey, I am the guy who cooked your food, please, tell me what you think, be honest and let me know, I want to be the best BBQ around'.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #188
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Why would you spend the time stripping it off? if you are installing on concrete I am assuming you are using a floating style hardwood floor. Save your time and place the membrane over the adhesive and then lay the floor.

** my two cents
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #189
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
Why would you spend the time stripping it off? if you are installing on concrete I am assuming you are using a floating style hardwood floor. Save your time and place the membrane over the adhesive and then lay the floor.

** my two cents
Well, I'm not scraping the entire thing and getting it all down to nice and shiny concrete. But whoever installed this carpet didn't do a very good job, or they applied more adhesive to old adhesive they didn't bother to get up because there are quite a few high spots or areas with really thick amounts piled up. So, I'm mainly just giving it a once over and really tackling the trouble spots hard, which there are many, because as you said I am using a floating floor so it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #190
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Well, I'm not scraping the entire thing and getting it all down to nice and shiny concrete. But whoever installed this carpet didn't do a very good job, or they applied more adhesive to old adhesive they didn't bother to get up because there are quite a few high spots or areas with really thick amounts piled up. So, I'm mainly just giving it a once over and really tackling the trouble spots hard, which there are many, because as you said I am using a floating floor so it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.
Makes sense now. Sucks having to clean up other people's shortcuts when you want it done right.

Good luck on the adventure. I wish I lived closer to ya...
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #191
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kackiesque View Post
When do you think you might be open we would love to come and support a fellow BBQ brother and are only about 45 minutes away from you.
I missed this earlier. My ambitious date is toward the end of July. But I know realistically, with delays and people dragging their feet it will probably be some time in August.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #192
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Great thread ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am having dinner tonight with a CPA (wifes friend from USC who knows how to manage money) to see if starting my own biz pencils out. I'll be 50 next year and can retire early, although I'll be leaving a lot on the table if I do....which brings me to my question someone asked earlier. Do you have an exit strategy? If so, can you share it with us. I'm not sure I even know what it is, but I know I'd don't want to work foranother ten years...
Quote:
As far as exit strategy, this is as much of a real estate play as it is a business. It's a good location for this area, and the price I was able to get it for was below market value. And besides a somewhat small mortgage, I'm not borrowing any other money to get the venture off the ground.

So, my exit strategy has a few options. Even if the business doesn't go gangbusters, if it at least made money and afforded me a modest salary, that's fine since I have a working spouse. So it isn't quite a do or die financial scenario. The second option would be to sell the place. With how much equity I put in with the down payment and the improvements I plan on making, even if the business doesn't flourish, I figure I could sell even for roughly what I paid for it and get most of that equity back. But before selling, my other exit option would be to lease it. The previous owners had two people begging to lease the building while it was under contract and they almost backed out of our deal since the bank was taking so long and wanted to lease it out. So there's probably some demand there. And I'm already a landlord with a rental house and love real estate, so I'd have no problem doing a commercial rental in addition to that.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.... but I am thinking of something a little different. Those exit plans are if the business doesn't do well enough to keep the lights on. I am more interested in, how you're gonna get out of the business once it succeeds. I mean, if you're working 60-70+ hours a week then you're just a pitmaster/restaurant manager (nothing wrong with that). At some point you're going to either train some one to take it over and you'll just collect a monthly stipen (or somethin'), or you sell the business, or ??? Have you thought about that?

Me? I'm old and have spent 30 yrs in a career. I'd like to get something started and then sell it once its establish. Five years max! Sounds like a pipe dream (to me) and not sure if I want to risk something like that but thats another (my) thread that I still need to start...
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #193
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply.... but I am thinking of something a little different. Those exit plans are if the business doesn't do well enough to keep the lights on. I am more interested in, how you're gonna get out of the business once it succeeds. I mean, if you're working 60-70+ hours a week then you're just a pitmaster/restaurant manager (nothing wrong with that). At some point you're going to either train some one to take it over and you'll just collect a monthly stipen (or somethin'), or you sell the business, or ??? Have you thought about that?

Me? I'm old and have spent 30 yrs in a career. I'd like to get something started and then sell it once its establish. Five years max! Sounds like a pipe dream (to me) and not sure if I want to risk something like that but thats another (my) thread that I still need to start...
Selling is always an option. I've sold my last three businesses, so that has been a familiar exit strategy for me. But in this venture, if it is successful, I'd be looking to expand locally to maybe three stores in the area. Again, like somebody mentioned earlier this thread, following the McDonald's model of buying real estate and then making money serving food as a bonus.

That's also part of the reason I want to create a system that can run without me. While I plan on being the name and the face of the original location, I want to create processes that enable somebody to be groomed to be able to run a store without needing 10 years of experience running a pit or feeling like I need to be 100% involved with everything.

Bottom line is if it's successful enough that another location, or two is warranted, I want to be in a position to be holding, say, a million dollars worth of real estate in five or ten years that was paid for by the customers that walk through the door every day. Then it doesn't matter if I sell the business as a whole or just liquidate the real estate.

So that's how I look at it. I buy a place and then serve food out of it. Hopefully that makes enough money to keep the lights on and pay me a modest living wage. All the while, every customer that comes through the door is paying down that mortgage so I never have to put another dime of my own money toward it. That's where the real wealth comes from, even if it isn't liquid and in the bank. And then wash, rinse, and repeat if possible.

Obviously, lots of pipe dreaming and I know it will be hell or high water in a couple of months when the doors open and I find that sales aren't what were expected, cash flow is negative, etc. But that's my best case scenario plan, and I've already outlined the worst case. So most likely, I'll fall somewhere in the middle and hopefully just be happy with making a comfortable living doing something worthwhile.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #194
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

The problem with buying as I understand it (and only a little) is that buying property is paid for with after tax money, LEASING property is paid for with pre tax money ?

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #195
canoe
Knows what a fatty is.

have you thought of staining the concrete pad rather than installing a floating floor? It will last longer and can be easier to clean.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote